Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
laptop questions.
    #4258936 - 06/05/05 09:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

hey, i do computer work and never really touched laptops, just haven't been around them as much. i just had a few questions before i take a job. how long is it going to take a competent person that's used to working with computers to swap harddrives (in HP Omnibook's) per machine? are hard drives standard for all/most machines? some catalogs list diffrent manafactures (apple, hp ect.) in seperate catagorys. i'm pretty sure they would be standard tho. also anyone know a good bulk supplier for laptop hd's cheap? cheapest is best as this is a big job for a corp. and i really doubt they want quality. prolly a 4200 or 5400rpm 40-80gb. they asked for a price quote but didn't mention size/speed =\

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: laptop questions. [Re: John]
    #4259145 - 06/05/05 10:31 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i'll look up my supplier's name when i get to work on monday. everything is in my computer there. the place witht he best bulk laptop prices is in texas, but i cant remember the name off hand. laptop hard drives take about 30 minutes to replace .

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinenewjon
Stranger
Re: laptop questions. [Re: automan]
    #4259299 - 06/05/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

swapping a laptop hdd isn't really any harder than swapping a desktop hdd, at least in recent models. In fact, you'll probably find it a whole lot easier, the only obstacle is finding out WHERE on the laptop the HDD is. It's usually held in by 1 or 2 screws, and slots out very easily. Just like a large PCMCIA card, really. I believe they all use the same interface, although this may have changed once or twice over the past few years, i'm not certain on that.
Can't really help you with prices, as i'm in england. We use Dabs UK for much of the stuff we buy at work, but they're not all that reliable with delivery times (i.e. taking a week or two longer than they said)

InvisibleBully
CheapShot-SinisterStrike
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
    #4259399 - 06/05/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i'm pretty much doing the same thing you are and I recently have been getting a few laptops. Is the one that you are working on a new or an older one?

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: laptop questions. [Re: Bully]
    #4260152 - 06/05/05 04:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

they have to be at least a year old i'd assume. i'm not sure i haven't even seen them yet they just asked for a quote and if i'd do it. the laptops are out of warranty tho that where i got the year from.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

InvisibleBully
CheapShot-SinisterStrike
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
    #4260573 - 06/05/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

you shouldn't have any trouble  :cool:

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4261267 - 06/05/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Most Laptop hard drives are removed by one or two screws (located on the outside of the case usually on the bottom )& the hard drive is removed like a card or removable drive so you won't even have to take the unit apart, except for Apple iBooks & Powerbooks which require a major disassembly to remove a hard drive.
If you replace the hard drive with something other than the original brand or size you may have to update the computer bios. Most name brand computers like HP, IBM, etc. will not let you set the individual parameters of the hard ware. If you've ever looked in the bios of any name brand computers there is really not very many selections you can make on anything. I think this may be one reason why your kinda stuck using their proprietary hardware a lot of times. But with a hard drive you may get by by using something different.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4262856 - 06/06/05 10:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Most Laptop hard drives are removed by one or two screws (located on the outside of the case usually on the bottom )& the hard drive is removed like a card or removable drive so you won't even have to take the unit apart, except for Apple iBooks & Powerbooks which require a major disassembly to remove a hard drive.
If you replace the hard drive with something other than the original brand or size you may have to update the computer bios.

Everything quoted is correct. Apple laptops have to be torn apart to get to the hard drive. The powerbooks aren't so bad to get into, but the ibooks are horrid to work on. I have never seen an HP/Compaq, Dell, or IBM laptop that was difficult to remove the hard drive from. Usually a single screw on the side (or bottom) of the case has to be removed and the drive slides out.

Ensure that the physical size of the replacement harddrive is the same. Most of the drives will be screwed into a caddy with an adapter pushed onto the pins. You may need a torq bit to unscrew the caddy... depends on the laptop maker.

I have heard that some IBM laptops will only work with IBM drives. I have not verified this. I have never had a problem putting a larger replacement drive ni an Apple or any other computer as long as BIOS knew how to deal with the larger disk.

They also make laptop HD to USB enclosures that allow you to put a laptop drive into a little box and attach it to any USB enabled computer.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology