Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

Loc: here, there, everywhere
experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz
    #4258400 - 06/05/05 01:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

this is really my first time using a grain spawn.

first off after i clean the grain and let soak then put in the pressure cooker how much water do i put on the out side of the jar? (i am using quart jars that i am filling 2/3 full)

i don't put water on the inside of the jar right?

when i store the jars should i store them in a cool dark place shaking them till they colonize?

when i am ready to cast them i am going to make a casing of straw and compost(read below for the question on compost) at the base that i want to add the casing to then add plastic on top that I've drilled holes in till it colonizes, remove plastic and add a 50/50 casing on top and add humidifier.

i know the best stuff is worm dung but i really cant afford the stuff for the amount i need. can i use cow compost if i bake it and sterilize it? or should i use horse compost?

and what humidity level should i keep the tanks at for the popcorn does anyone know?

thanks for any help

--------------------
hard work good and hard work fine but first take care of head......expand your mind your currently only using 15%......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: epiphanieslost]
    #4258435 - 06/05/05 01:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Replace the popcorn with rye or wbs and things will go faster and easier for ya.  :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: Magash]
    #4258451 - 06/05/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i have been looking every where for rye and where i live i can't find it i could only find popcorn every where
what is wbs?

--------------------
hard work good and hard work fine but first take care of head......expand your mind your currently only using 15%......

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: epiphanieslost]
    #4258455 - 06/05/05 01:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23619

Sounds like some reading is in order...

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4258457 - 06/05/05 01:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
this is really my first time using a grain spawn.

first off after i clean the grain and let soak then put in the pressure cooker how much water do i put on the out side of the jar? (i am using quart jars that i am filling 2/3 full) Soak your popcorn for 48-60 hours uncovered in a pot. When grains are ready to be drained, they can easily be bitten in half with your teeth. Drain well in a collander! At the minimum, an hour.

i don't put water on the inside of the jar right? No! Not with my instructions soak instructions.

when i store the jars should i store them in a cool dark place shaking them till they colonize? Yes! But only shake after the jars are 25% colonized. Then after the shake, let them finish up. Disperse the colonized grain well while shaking.

when i am ready to cast them i am going to make a casing of straw and compost(read below for the question on compost) at the base that i want to add the casing to then add plastic on top that I've drilled holes in till it colonizes, remove plastic and add a 50/50 casing on top and add humidifier.

i know the best stuff is worm dung but i really cant afford the stuff for the amount i need. can i use cow compost if i bake it and sterilize it? or should i use horse compost? Either one. Horse is better IMO. Use a pot of water to PASTURIZE the poo. 170 degrees max for an hour. Add a 1/2 of a cup of hydrated lime to the bath to up the ph for an easy and clean colonization.

and what humidity level should i keep the tanks at for the popcorn does anyone know? 70-75% is optimal for casings!

thanks for any help

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4258461 - 06/05/05 01:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My answers are in your quote in my last post. Sorry. I keep f'n up my replies with quotes included.

Edited by hotnutz (06/05/05 01:30 AM)

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4258463 - 06/05/05 01:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thank you so much thats just what i needed!!!

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4258464 - 06/05/05 01:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
first off after i clean the grain and let soak then put in the pressure cooker how much water do i put on the out side of the jar? (i am using quart jars that i am filling 2/3 full)

Just put enough water in to come up an inch or 2 on the sides

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
i don't put water on the inside of the jar right?

You're using popcorn? You may want to simmer it for awhile. IME with popcorn it doesn't absorb very much water. In fact u should ditch corn altogether and go to wild birdseed or rye if possible.

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
when i store the jars should i store them in a cool dark place shaking them till they colonize?

You may want to do some more reading...When colonizing you should let them incubate at about 84F in a dark environment. Dont shake more than 2 maybe 3 times, different growers like to do it at different times. For example, a FOAF likes to shake right after inoculation, then at 50-70%. After that shaking isnt really necessary.

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:

i know the best stuff is worm dung but i really cant afford the stuff for the amount i need. can i use cow compost if i bake it and sterilize it? or should i use horse compost?

Actually, horse poop blows worm castings out of the water. Try to avoid cow poo but if its all u can get make sure u mix it with plenty of straw and/or verm. You want to pasturize the substrate at about 170F for about 3 hours... Read Here...then once its cooled use your grains to spawn.

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
and what humidity level should i keep the tanks at for the popcorn does anyone know?

I assume you are doing casings, you'll want it at about 75%

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4258470 - 06/05/05 01:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hey nutz u beat me to it, is that a little nicer?

--------------------

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

#4258480 - 06/05/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

opps yeah wild bird seed yeah i know what that is and it didnt work very well for me...

that why i wanted to try to use popcorn....

thank you so very much hotnutz for your help

--------------------

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

#4258493 - 06/05/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i am letting the corn sit over night in water then simmering it for about an hour before pressure cooking it

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4258495 - 06/05/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

make sure your jars are in a WARM, dark place. Im sure hotnutz simply misread it :smile:

--------------------

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

Re: experimenting with popcorn i have a few questions anyone plz [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4258506 - 06/05/05 01:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i can get horse compost at a store here you think its better? i plan on using a top soil of vermiculite, peatmoss and lime on top of the straw, compost, spawn casting

--------------------

Offlineepiphanieslost
Stranger

#4258518 - 06/05/05 01:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

should i process the horse poo to or should i use it as is when i buy it from the store?

see the thing is i can go down to the local farm and pick up as much cow compost as i want for free, so i figgered hell i need a lot so free would be perfect seeing i've all ready spent alot of money seting up.

when you say warm what is a good temp to keep them at?

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4259815 - 06/05/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
should i process the horse poo to or should i use it as is when i buy it from the store?

see the thing is i can go down to the local farm and pick up as much cow compost as i want for free, so i figgered hell i need a lot so free would be perfect seeing i've all ready spent alot of money seting up.

Hmm...well usually you want to avoid store bought poo because they compost the shit out of it (no pun intended) and often add things. You may want to go check out the cow dung, and mix it 60% straw 40% dung.

Quote:

epiphanieslost said:
when you say warm what is a good temp to keep them at?

Quote:

LengthyFellow said:...When colonizing you should let them incubate at about 84F in a dark environment.

--------------------

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

#4260997 - 06/05/05 07:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ive inoced 25 jars of popcorn for myself and a friend and have had awsome results.. here is a good TEC for corn http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25049 . basicly soak corn for 24 hrs, low boil for 1 hr, drain for atleast 30 min, spoon into jars, PC for 1 hr, then when room temp inoc put in dark warm place (80-85 deg F.) and ive had growth in a lil over 1 day using mycilum syringe.. i just got done picking my first flush and got a lil over 2 oz wet weight (eat them wet so dont know what it would of been dry) and i use the 3 1/2 qt jars. but i love popcorn and have had no problems with it so far

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures