Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKainMagus
Stranger
a couple newb questions about moisture
    #4258150 - 06/05/05 02:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have yet to attempt growing any mushrooms yet but I have been reading a ton about it from the cake methods and I had a few questions about moisture. I have read about making "wells" out of straws to keep a level of water in the cake, but i have only read that in one place and no one else suggests it.

Is it worth the risk damaging the mycelium and the cake, or would i be better off dunking the cake about 12 hours in some distilled water before putting them in chamber? I also heard that adding a tiny amount of peroxide to the dunking water helps lower contamination risk. How much would be best to add, if any?

Also i had a question about humidity, I originally heard that most cakes grow best with 90-95% humidity though that seems higher than anything I have seen posted here, what % would you all suggest?

one other quick newb question, but what does "Tek" stand for exactly?

thanks in advance , this a nice place

Edited by KainMagus (06/05/05 02:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: KainMagus]
    #4258251 - 06/05/05 02:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KainMagus said:
I have yet to attempt growing any mushrooms yet but I have been reading a ton about it from the cake methods and I had a few questions about moisture. I have read about making "wells" out of straws to keep a level of water in the cake, but i have only read that in one place and no one else suggests it.

Is it worth the risk damaging the mycelium and the cake, or would i be better off dunking the cake about 12 hours in some distilled water before putting them in chamber? I also heard that adding a tiny amount of peroxide to the dunking water helps lower contamination risk. How much would be best to add, if any?

Also i had a question about humidity, I originally heard that most cakes grow best with 90-95% humidity though that seems higher than anything I have seen posted here, what % would you all suggest?

one other quick newb question, but what does "Tek" stand for exactly?

thanks in advance , this a nice place

The straw tek work out pretty good IMO. There's no need to use H202 for dunking. Simply take your colonized cake and put it in water. Then put the whole works in the fridge to dunk for 12 hours. The coldness from the fridge will prevent bacteria from breeding. Both teks are fine. It's up to you. The new straws don't hurt anything when inserted because the food source (the cake) is colonized and less prone to contaminate.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4258260 - 06/05/05 02:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Its not necessary to put h2o2 in your water, but i still suggest it. Its just a preventative in case there is anything in your water supply. I wouldn't fuck with the straw tek, I didn't notice it being any better compared to dunking. I def. use h2o2 every time i dunk, also i dunk in the fridge.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4258296 - 06/05/05 02:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the straw tek is ok for more flushes IMO. I think dunking cakes kinda takes it's toll on the network. I'd say yeilds are better with dunking though. Hell, I don't even do cakes. LOL! These 2 are from a print check for a friend. I'll just squeeze all the fruits outa these I can for printing.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4258346 - 06/05/05 02:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't done cakes in awhile, but i still funk a cake before i break it up for the casing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinepeaceful_gnome
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: BC
Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4258611 - 06/05/05 04:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think tek is short for technique

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: peaceful_gnome]
    #4258702 - 06/05/05 05:11 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Traditional Ecological Knowledge

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: a couple newb questions about moisture [Re: KainMagus]
    #4258716 - 06/05/05 05:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I originally heard that most cakes grow best with 90-95% humidity though that seems higher than anything I have seen posted here, what % would you all suggest?

Basically, the higher the humidity the better. Build a PMP and you'll have no worries.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation