Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!!
    #4255814 - 06/04/05 02:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hello everyone! This is my first post and my first grow. It's been six long weeks and I've pored over this site for I don't know how many hours. It's been the funnest learning experience that I've ever had. I've been tempted to post before(you know, newbie panic syndrome), but I stuck it out and read the FAQ's and searched countless posts and that always seemed to get me through and calm me down. So after a few trial and error stints with my first cakes to colonize(I STILL got a few good ones from them), here are the results.:

I am now excepting bets as to who will win out in this little group. My first attempt at a one jar casing...

The whole scene! The casing, the jar and the three at the bottom left are EQ's. The other five are are B+. I did a little experimenting on the first two EQ's at the bottom left. I had read that they like to sprout from "edges", so I sliced them down the middle and poured in some vermiculite to make more edges. The one that I sliced twice is doing well(it has the "super FATTY" on it), and the one that I sliced three times seems to have used a lot of energy to "heal" itself and has cauliflower but is sprouting from the bottom as well...we'll see what happens. I also have two B+ jars that I left to go invitro since they started in the jar before the others were ready. I've already harvested my first flush from them dunked them and put them back in their jars.

Fat and FATTER!! Two EQ pups that had me freaked about their environment until I saw that the B+'s were growing normally(proportionally) in the same pod.

OK, THIS one is REALLY trying my patience! I cased two EQ cakes two weeks ago and here is where I am. I saw gray fuzz, I sprayed it... Well to make a long story short, I've done a lot. I finally gave up on it and then this. I know it's too much humidity being that it's in with the cakes and all, AND I DID concede to it being gone a while ago so I'm not that concerned about it since my new little friends have shown up, but since I'm posting anyway I thought that I would get some expert opinions on what's going on with it and even what I should do with it now.
I can't tell you all how much you've helped out and how much I appreciate it. This has been way COOL!!(except for the majority of the time when I was panicking about EVERYTHING!!)
Thanks for EVERYTHING!!

Edited by schapper (06/04/05 02:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGatorade
A-With-A-Teeth-A

Re: FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!! [Re: VirgilKane]
    #4256014 - 06/04/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Only two posts and you have some cakes already fruiting, that's awesome. Too many people post a billion threads before even reading anything, I give you credit for holding out and trying things first.

Your cakes look good... But I don't know about that casing, maybe you should take it out from the chamber with all the humid perlite. I've read that besides contams, most casings fail because of too much humidity.

Happy Shrooming

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!! [Re: Gatorade]
    #4256031 - 06/04/05 03:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

When you do this...

Quote:

I've been tempted to post before(you know, newbie panic syndrome), but I stuck it out and read the FAQ's and searched countless posts and that always seemed to get me through and calm me down.

You get praise...

And maybe something else :smirk:

Hit me up with a pm man

Awesome grow btw

-Gnostic

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!! [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4256243 - 06/04/05 04:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great job on the work. The casing will fruit, just give it time. You'll want to lower the RH some with the casing. Casings generally fruit better with RH's around 70%.

Edited by hotnutz (06/04/05 04:31 PM)

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4256419 - 06/04/05 05:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

nice looking fat asses you have there!~

congrats!~

feel free to post anytime you have a question.

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleVirgilKane
 User Gallery

Re: FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!! [Re: Roadkill]
    #4257465 - 06/04/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Tahks for all the comments, folks. It really means a lot!
Schapper

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

InvisibleVirgilKane
 User Gallery

#4257472 - 06/04/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I meant THANKS!
Sorry, getting late....

--------------------

Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

OfflineOl_Mr_Owl
Emirie's #1 Fan

Loc: Left of US
    #4257833 - 06/05/05 12:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Looking good  :thumbup:  Congrats.
That casing looks troubled.  Mr. Owl has a couple like that that he has isolated... they've stayed the same for almost a month now.  He thinks maybe it's the pf cakes as substrate are just too weak, perhaps.  Did some casings with WBS and they've had a flush already, so... read up on WBS and make casings from that... you won't be sorry.

Good luck.

InvisibleVirgilKane
 User Gallery

Re: FIRST GROW!!! Place your bets!! [Re: Ol_Mr_Owl]
    #4257959 - 06/05/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Ol Mr Owl. I too have isolated that casing and will see if it does any better with less humidity. Funny you mention WBS. I've just spent the last hour telling myself that that was what I was gonna do with my last two syringes.(PE and GT) Cakes are cool and a great learning tool, but I think that casings would be easier and less mess once in the FC. I'm even leaning toward cow poo to do the next deed.
Take care.

--------------------

Carl G. Jung

Terence McKenna

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation