Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Which Software should I buy?
    #4254142 - 06/03/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, so im considering buying some software to hook-up my MIDI Controller to. But Im not quite sure which I should check out. Im considering Reason 3.0 or Cubase SX.

I know there has to be a few people on this board that own or have used either one of these programs. So I thought I would ask what your personal experience with these programs were and did you like them?

For the record im considering to make some Goa Trance/Psy Ambient for now. So what do you think is better for these styles?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Which Software should I buy? [Re: Osker246]
    #4254715 - 06/04/05 01:04 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know Reason but I know Cubase.
The 1 thing I do know is that Reason isn't a host application, and does not support VST's (right?)
Cubase is Awesome. It's involved, so the amount you can do (and initially have to learn) is a lot. Supports MIDI and live recording. Very in depth, user-friendly and intuitive.

I recommend Cubase SX... I hear 3 is out :wink:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#4254777 - 06/04/05 01:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You should buy both.

Reason 3 is a great program for making electronic music,
though you cannot use it to record or edit audio.

To get the best sound from Reason 3, you should use Cubase to record, edit and mix Reason's audio output.

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
Re: Which Software should I buy? [Re: Middleman]
    #4255428 - 06/04/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Jinx said:
You should buy both.

Reason 3 is a great program for making electronic music,
though you cannot use it to record or edit audio.

To get the best sound from Reason 3, you should use Cubase to record, edit and mix Reason's audio output.

you can make some great sounds with reason. use rewire to output your songs to cubase so you dont have to use reason's sound engine.

you should consider getting ableton live. it works great with midi. along with reason, ive been useing ableton live the most.

http://www.ableton.com/

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4255536 - 06/04/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, but watch out, Reason + Ableton live is the recipie for every bad Live PA me and Eo.S have ever seen.

Alot of times we call Ableton live, Ableton Too Live. Like alot of the people that use it to write music live need to take some of it home and make a good track before the go out and play.

I would say get the PC version of Logic or Cubase or something like Fruity Loops.

They don't do as much for you, and don't have a gimic interface, but you will actually be able to create well mastered music once you know how to. (this is really hard using JUST reason alone.)

Reason has some good sounds, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. Why? Because most of the sounds, and it's over all sound has been done alot. I can usually tell if a peice of music has been written in reason in the first 2 seconds of the track. There's just a glass ceiling of mastering quality that you really can't get past unless you patch you're sounds out and master them in another program.

Reason doesn't support VST ether.

But, if you just want a 1 stop 'makes sounds' program Reason is it. And don't get me wrong, alot of people do make good Reason music, it's just kinda few and far inbetween.

So I would say Cubase/Logic/Fruity Loops would be better to get first.

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Which Software should I buy? [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4256475 - 06/04/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Allrighty, I've been talking to other people on other forums and they have adviced me to buy cubase also. So im going to look into that...Im still kinda in the void about why you would need more than one program for music. Is it one program you creat the music and the other you do that Master for it? Anybody mind explaining it to me?

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4256571 - 06/04/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Because no software is a complete 1 stop shop sorta deal.

Reason trys to be, but lacks enough mastering tools to truly be autonomious in a professional sence.

Basicly no matter what you do 1 peice of software is never going to do EVERYthing that you need.

{but that's why god invented hackers}

Edited by Anisotropic (06/04/05 04:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder