Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleChibboleth
I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice
    #4253174 - 06/03/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Right now my fruiting chamber has four pint casings in it, in separate foil pans. I have plenty of light for them, and the temperature gets up to 80 or a little above in the afternoons and is lower than that at other times of day. I have no good way (that I can think of) to control this.

I've had casings fruit under these conditions before, but for some reason these just refuse to. One of them has been in the fruiting chamber for over two weeks now, with nary a pinhead to be seen. I cold shocked all four of them yesterday, and no luck yet.

Any ideas? I've run out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: Chibboleth]
    #4253196 - 06/03/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Are they getting plenty of fresh air? If you can't keep temps down.. get some ice packs and put them in the tub during the warm part of the day. That may help. Be sure to clean them off before you stick them in there.

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: Quiescence]
    #4253248 - 06/03/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4232537/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

That thread should help you out, he builds a ghetto chiller in it to drop temps. also if you only cold shocked yesterday, you gotta wait like 4 days to see a result. Peace
Greg

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: GregHimself]
    #4253571 - 06/03/05 07:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GregHimself said:
also if you only cold shocked yesterday, you gotta wait like 4 days to see a result. Peace
Greg

I know, but in case I'm doing something else wrong that I haven't noticed I don't want to wait 4 days to get cracking on it. I have not been fanning these like I probably should've, I'll start doing that.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: Chibboleth]
    #4253610 - 06/03/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm if you have not been fanning .. that is a big issue. You should get a coolmist.. or at least an aquarium pump for air exchange.. or both. Also, if your casing containers are higher than the casing.. as in the tub is not full to the top... then CO2 can build up there... especially if you have not been fanning and you dont have any holes in your tub.. or any kind of air exchange.

What does your chamber look like?

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: Quiescence]
    #4253992 - 06/03/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It's a largish transparent rubbermaid storage tub, with a lid that latches. I just picked it up to replace an older tub that got a crack in it. I'll start fanning it several times a day, and look into the practicality of a cool mist.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4254192 - 06/03/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Transparent eh,.. Hmm. You might want to cover the walls of the chamber. Use tape.. paint.. foil.. construction paper. Whatever you want. If light comes in at all directions you will get mushrooms going in all directions. Not that they won't work.. but I think everyone growing in the same direction is better. Don't worry too much about cracks.. I have several that I just taped over.

Really consider a coolmist. If you have a BigLots near you.. they sell them for $7.99. It does air exchange and raises humidity all in one. Just tape over the normal exhaust vent and drill a hole for a hose. If you put in the coolmist, then drill holes around the base of your tub(just above the substrate or perlite) and stuff with polyfill to allow the heavier carbon dioxide to escape. Then drill some holes at the top and stuff them.. so that fresh air moves in. Really.. even if you don't get the coolmist you should do that. Air exchange is really important.

Night

~Quiescence~

--------------------

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
    #4254242 - 06/03/05 10:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

did you remember to mist the casing layer?

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4254514 - 06/03/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i have an idea, stop fucking with them, They will fruit

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: tahoe]
    #4257532 - 06/04/05 09:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
i have an idea, stop fucking with them, They will fruit

Yeah, this is usually my first instinct. I've just never had casings so reluctant to fruit before, even at 80+ F.

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4257574 - 06/04/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I can't remember if it was Agar, or Scatman, one of those guys told me to put my casings by an open window in a clean room, I did that for a few days, after almost 3 weeks with no pins, and got them pretty quick.. Now I do it everyday for at least an hour with all my casings.. No contams as of yet.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: I'm having serious trouble getting a casing to pin, need advice [Re: Kalix]
    #4257600 - 06/04/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Doesn't that dry them out?

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4257745 - 06/04/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

You know what else works great, is to set the casings outside in the warmth. If your casing has a good rhizo coverage and is ready to pin any day, this will jump start it rather quickly. Remeber. We're working with a tropical species. This only applies to tub casings.

Edited by hotnutz (06/04/05 10:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract