Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Detainees More and More Correct
    #4253483 - 06/03/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

U.S. Confirms Gitmo Soldier Kicked Quran
By ROBERT BURNS

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon on Friday released new details about mishandling of the Quran at the Guantanamo Bay prison for terror suspects, confirming that a soldier deliberately kicked the Muslim holy book and that an interrogator stepped on a Quran and was later fired for "a pattern of unacceptable behavior."

In other confirmed incidents, water balloons thrown by prison guards caused an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; a guard's urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran; and in a confirmed but ambiguous case, a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran.

The findings, released after normal business hours Friday evening, are among the results of an investigation last month by Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center in Cuba, that was triggered by a Newsweek magazine report - later retracted - that a U.S. soldier had flushed one Guantanamo Bay detainee's Quran down a toilet.

The story stirred worldwide controversy and the Bush administration blamed it for deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan.

Hood said in a written statement released Friday evening, along with the new details, that his investigation "revealed a consistent, documented policy of respectful handling of the Quran dating back almost 2 1/2 years."

Hood said that of nine mishandling cases that were studied in detail by reviewing thousands of pages of written records, five were confirmed to have happened. He could not determine conclusively whether the four others took place.

In one of those four unconfirmed cases, a detainee in April 2003 complained to FBI and other interrogators that guards "constantly defile the Quran." The detainee alleged that in one instance a female military guard threw a Quran into a bag of wet towels to anger another detainee, and he also alleged that another guard said the Quran belonged in the toilet and that guards were ordered to do these things.

Hood said he found no other record of this detainee mentioning any Quran mishandling. The detainee has since been released.

In the most recent confirmed case of urine splashing on a detainee and his Quran, Hood said the complaint was made by a detainee on March 25, 2005. An unidentified guard admitted at the time that "he was at fault," the Hood report said, adding that his supervisor reprimanded him and assigned him to gate guard duty where he had no contact with detainees for the remainder of his assignment at Guantanamo Bay.

In that case, the guard had left his observation post and went outside to urinate, according to Hood's findings. He urinated near an air vent and the wind blew his urine through the vent into the cell block.

Hood also said his investigation found 15 cases of detainees mishandling their own Qurans. "These included using a Quran as a pillow, ripping pages out of the Quran, attempting to flush a Quran down the toilet and urinating on the Quran," Hood's report said. It offered no possible explanation for the detainees' motives.

Last week, Hood disclosed that he had confirmed five cases of mishandling of the Quran, but he refused to provide details. Allegations of Quran desecration at Guantanamo Bay have led to anti-American passions in many Muslim nations, although Pentagon officials have insisted that the problems were relatively minor and that U.S. commanders have gone to great lengths to enable detainees to practice their religion in captivity.

Hood said last week that he found no credible evidence that a Quran was ever flushed down a toilet. He said a prisoner who was reported to have complained to an FBI agent in 2002 that a military guard threw a Quran in the toilet has since told Hood's investigators that he never witnessed any form of Quran desecration.

Other prisoners who were returned to their home countries after serving time at Guantanamo Bay as terror suspects have alleged Quran desecration by U.S. guards, and some have said a Quran was placed in a toilet.

There are about 540 detainees at Guantanamo Bay. Some have been there more than three years without being charged with a crime. Most were captured on the battlefields of Afghanistan in 2001 and 2002 and were sent to Guantanamo Bay in hope of extracting useful intelligence about the al-Qaida terrorist network.

Both President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld have denounced an Amnesty International report that called the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay "the gulag of our time."

The president told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday that the report by the human-rights group was "absurd."

On Wednesday, Rumsfeld called the characterization "reprehensible" and said the U.S. military had taken care to ensure that detainees were free to practice their religion. However, he also acknowledged that some detainees had been mistreated, even "grievously" at times.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050604/D8AGF1KO0.html

Do these idiot Americans actually want to start creating a surge in terrorists, or what? It's these soldiers that ruin the name of the U.S., along with the politicians who allow these types of acts to go on under full knowledge, as I'd be willing to bet is the case in many of the recent atrocities committed by the U.S.

And I love how they call getting urine on the Qu'ran and writing obscenities in it "mishandling". I'm sure you only have to "mishandle" it to write "fuck you" in the Qu'ran, attempt to flush it down the toilet and piss on it, after all. :rolleyes:

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: Ravus]
    #4253588 - 06/03/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

oh the HORROR!!!!!!!

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4253602 - 06/03/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed. I thought the U.S. was a civilized superpower fighting the "barbarian" "terrorists", not just terrorists fighting terrorists?

Well, which terrorist is better? The terrorists that are the lesser of two evils? The U.S. has killed more people without a doubt.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4253618 - 06/03/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Edited by Learyfan (05/29/05 10:50 PM)

??

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4253628 - 06/03/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

(someone kicked the koran!!!)

it makes me want to go out,
buy a koran,
take a shit
and wipe my ass with it.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4253645 - 06/03/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Fucking over indulged retards. They truly are riding the small bus of life.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4253656 - 06/03/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"water balloons thrown by prison guards caused an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; a guard's urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran; and in a confirmed but ambiguous case, a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran."

I'm pretty sure getting piss on the Qu'ran and writing swear words in it is a blatant violation of Islam.

And it's the thought that counts in these cases. I don't believe in Islam, but the followers should have their religion treated respectfully and not have soldiers mishandling and vandalizing the Qu'ran. The U.S. is supposed to be a beacon of freedom, not violating the basic rights of a religious person. Some people say the terrorists would do the same, but is the implication that the U.S. should use methods just because the terrorists use them? That would make us just as bad as the people we're fighting.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4253707 - 06/03/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It's the thought that counts??????? No, it's the act that counts and the damage done. I can wish that you fall of the face of the earth but if I don't push you then there is no issue. I piss on the cunt's book I owe the cunt a new book. Here's ten bucks Omar go buy a new one. Oh wait, I gave you that one in the first place. Nevermind, bitch.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4253735 - 06/03/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"Here's ten bucks Omar go buy a new one. Oh wait, I gave you that one in the first place. Nevermind, bitch."

too funny.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4253782 - 06/03/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Indeed. I thought the U.S. was a civilized superpower fighting the "barbarian" "terrorists", not just terrorists fighting terrorists?

Bad words on the inside cover of the Koran is terrorism?

Regardless, I don't view our actions as some holy representation of our civilization over their "barbarianism". I view it as them being our enemy, and because of this, they deserve to perish from the earth.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4253787 - 06/03/05 08:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

wrong.

if the thought doesn't count, why are there different degrees of murder?

Desicrating a holy book is horrible to them and counts as a lot of damage. The book isn't just some paper and ink to them. But I don't expect you to understand, since you can buy one for 10 dollars and piss on it if you so wish.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: looner2]
    #4253818 - 06/03/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If so, then the U.S. should admit as such and stop being hypocritical instead of trying to act like they are the noble police and peacemakers in the world rather than simple greedy imperialists. There wouldn't be such a problem if the true nature of the U.S. wasn't so radically opposite from the view the U.S. government and people try to paint.

People don't get in an uproar when Sudan commits atrocities because the Sudanese government isn't expected to do anything different. It doesn't pretend to be the regulator and peacekeeper of the world, and the government doesn't act as if it's superior enough as to stay away from committing atrocities. This isn't the case with the U.S. though; it should just admit its true nature and take over rather than trying to lead a double-life of both peacekeeper and tyrant.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4253837 - 06/03/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
If so, then the U.S. should admit as such and stop being hypocritical instead of trying to act like they are the noble police and peacemakers in the world rather than simple greedy imperialists. There wouldn't be such a problem if the true nature of the U.S. wasn't so radically opposite from the view the U.S. government and people try to paint.

That is one of our problems. Coddling to the current world idealogy of peace and world government. We are letting our balls being sliced off right under our noses. This is one reason why we should get out of Iraq right now. Send a big "fuck you" to the U.N and any world apologetic. The look of every eurotrash, with their jaw to the floor would be one sweet picture.

Be careful with calling the U.S imperialists. I'll let it go because you are in a savage communist rant, but please stick to the facts.

People don't get in an uproar when Sudan commits atrocities because the Sudanese government isn't expected to do anything different. It doesn't pretend to be the regulator and peacekeeper of the world, and the government doesn't act as if it's superior enough as to stay away from committing atrocities. This isn't the case with the U.S. though; it should just admit its true nature and take over rather than trying to lead a double-life of both peacekeeper and tyrant.

I could really give two shits about Sudan. If they are threatening our country in anyway, they should be dealt with swiftly and surely, but otherwise, let the shithole rot.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: looner2]
    #4253875 - 06/03/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Funny that you call me a communist, seeing as I'm about the direct opposite of that.

The U.S. isn't imperialistic? The U.S. has learned from previous empires and instead of blatantly taking over land, they're just "setting up" governments and creating banana republics and allies as always. Even when the U.S. was more openly imperialistic at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th, they didn't follow the rather useless way of Germany and the Romans, but rather simply created countries who would be under the sways of the U.S. politically, economically and militarily. It's a more intelligent method, but also rather hypocritical of the U.S.

I agree about coddling to the Europeans, and I could care less about what happens to other countries. We should draw out of Iraq and most of the world immediately and let them deal with it, and maintian an isolationist policy unless we're threatened economically, militarily or politically. But if we have prisoners under U.S. rule, then those prisoners should either be treated with humanity and respect for them and their religion, or the U.S. should just come out and say they could care less about the rights of people and just want to dominate and gain power. We can't pretend to be the world's humanitarians and police when we're abusing helpless prisoners here at home.

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4254038 - 06/03/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OMG!!! A book got wet. Somebody call the press. Seriously people... W-T-F????

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Detainees More and More Correct [Re: moog]
    #4254204 - 06/03/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Prison guards in america should be fired if they touch a prisoner's plastic Jesus. :yesnod:

--------------------
This space for rent

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order