Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGhosty
journeyman
Few Quick Questions Re: Casings
    #4251847 - 06/03/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hello, after reading into the FAQ's and guides I have come to the conclusion that my foaf should use a casing technique to greatly increase yield over the simple cake method. But there were a few questions that I could not find the answer to in the FAQ..etc.

1. When preparing your casing layer, is it mandatory to pasteurize AND sterilize the casing mixture? If not, what do you suggest is the more effective way? (keeping in mind safety, as I do know that pasteurizing does not kill all bacteria)

2. In the inoculation stages what kind of substrate is recommended? The original brown rice and verm, Or is there something better? Would the casing layer ever be the same as the initial substrate?

3. When using a bottom layer in your casing technique, does the initial substrate colonize into the bottom layer and increase things such as yield? Or is the bottom layer even used for more colonization, if not what is its benefit?

Hopefully I can get some feedback, all is appreciated! Thank You

--------------------
-weird

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Few Quick Questions Re: Casings [Re: Ghosty]
    #4251854 - 06/03/05 10:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

>is it mandatory to pasteurize AND sterilize the casing mixture?

pasteurize OR sterilize

>2. In the inoculation stages what kind of substrate is recommended?

Whole grains would be better.

The bottom layer mainly catches excess water that might run to the bottom of the casing container during the misting.

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #4251861 - 06/03/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

1. Just sterilize it in a PC no need for pasteurization

2. If your a beginner start with the brf/verm method in 1/2 pint jars. If your ready for potent shrooms move on to grains such as rye wbs popcorn blabla.

3. The bottom layer is used for keeping the substrate nice and moist.

goodluck :smile:

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4251862 - 06/03/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

1 no either pasteurise OR sterilise, no point doing both! I microwave my verm or 50/50 with plenty of water and squeeze it out after.
2 grains work better for most, your casing layer should have no nutrients in it, so is never the same as the substrate, verm has no nutrients so is useful.
3 the bottom layer holds excess moisture and also acts as a reservoir for the substrate above. If you mist too much it will simply drain to the bottom, if you had no layer the substrate would be sitting in water, which is not good.

OfflineGhosty
journeyman
Few Quick Questions Re: Casings [Re: blackout]
    #4252291 - 06/03/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks alot of the great feedback answered all my questions! :smile:

Just to give you a little background of the project, it will be a stealth grow inside a wooden box.
Dimenions are W:19.75' L:31.5' H:15.75'
A spray adhesive will be used to layer the wood with a plastic. The box will be used for both the incubator and fruiting chamber, I figure that only one chamber is needed since the only difference are RH and Temps as I will be using seperate containers to case. Hoping to have
roughly 4 seperate "cases"(?) each 9.5'x14'. A bubbler will be used to humidify the chamber. Possibly thinking about using two 80mm computer fans to help control temperature.

--------------------
-weird

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder