Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: Seuss]
    #4255513 - 06/04/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't quite understand the point of this thread. Of course there are no amoral reasons to not pollute if the effects take place only after you cease to exist regardless of whether or not you have children. And of course there is no way to prove the existence of an objective morality. Fortunately most people are moral which is why we create political regulations against polluting future generations' Earth.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4255688 - 06/04/05 11:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, like Tao, I'm a little confused as to how to answer this without resorting to some sort of moral stance... I mean, it's sort of a moral issue.

Why not go into S&P and start a thread, asking why you shouldn't shoot up a kindergarden classroom, assuming you wouldn't get caught? See how many people can answer it without bringing up morality.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: Gijith]
    #4255766 - 06/04/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, its the reason why the 'Tragedy of the Commons' is the logical conclusion of an unregulated environment.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4255772 - 06/04/05 12:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Compassion and empathy. We should care about all people and do what we can to minimize our negative impact on them. Why not pour mercury near streams in the mountains?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: SoopaX]
    #4255846 - 06/04/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Or, you should not pollute because you would prefer the others not pollute.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4255866 - 06/04/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Why should you care even if you did have children?

Fuck `em.

Stupid little shits.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: Redstorm]
    #4260844 - 06/05/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Other than moral and health reasons, there is very little reason not to pollute.

yes, and other than moral and health reasons, there is very little reason not to rape young girls.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: Doom]
    #4260874 - 06/05/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, that's purely moral reasons. There's nothing unhealthy to you about fucking young girls.

And since morals are completely subjective...

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4261410 - 06/05/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You dont pollute because its the respectful and courteous thing to do. Most people who pollute are just white trash and slothful idiots.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4261436 - 06/05/05 08:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

nature is beautiful,

thats why we shouldnt destroy it, get it? you dont need any more of a reason than that, and anyone who cant understand this simplistic idea is brainddead. end of discussion.

(((not directed at anyone in particular)))

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: Doom]
    #4261535 - 06/05/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I do not understand where this "beauty" and "harmony" are supposed to be found. Throughout the animal kingdom, animals ruthlessly prey upon each other. Most of them are either cruelly killed by other animals or slowly die of hunger. For my part, I am unable to see any great beauty or harmony in the tapeworm. Let it not be said that this creature is sent as a punishment for our sins, for it is more prevalent among animals than among humans. I suppose the questioner is thinking of such things as the beauty of the starry heavens. But one should remember that stars every now and again explode and reduce everything in their neighborhood to a vague mist. Beauty, in any case, is subjective and exists only in the eye of the beholder.

Offlinemantra
the universe
Loc: No 3rd Dimension Location
    #4262213 - 06/05/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Because that is selfish. If you want to be selfish and consume while destroying the natural balances of Earth for others to experience, thats your choice. I say thats a selfish choice. Who are you to say that only one's own children are worthy of a clean world? Who am I to ask that question? I don't know.

Why shouldn't you pollute? It indirectly kills/deforms an almost infinite array of lifeforms which could EASILY BE PREVENTED. Hell, you could even PLANT a tree and GIVE BACK to the earth for once instead of raping and pillaging its beauty.

--------------------
The creative principle unifies the inner and external worlds. It does not depend on time or space, is ever still and yet in motion; thereby it creates all things, and is therefore called 'the creative and the absolute'; its ebb and its flow extend to infinity. -Tao Te Ching

Offlinemantra
the universe
Loc: No 3rd Dimension Location
    #4262227 - 06/05/05 11:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Do I have a responsibility to save the planet for future generations when I am not contributing to these future generations? Yes, it is shallow. Yes, it is short sighted. Aside from it being morally wrong, why should I care?

>>Why should you care about anything? If you have no morals and don't care that what you are doing is morally wrong then you really have no guidelines or relative purpose.

If you want to turn this into a more politcal debate, then why should China care about the pollution they put out if it all lands on America. In the same sense, why should America care about the pollution it creates if it all lands on Europe. (I know the answers to these, just trying to make my point...)

>>Because, first of all, pollution doesn't just affect humans in an area. It affects every living organism in the area from 1-cell organisms to massive trees that are over hundreds of feet tall. Did you not care that thousands of Japanese died when we nuked them twice? It wasn't on American soil so who gives a fuck, right? Americans are the only REAL people, everyone else... well lets just pretend they aren't alive and aware just like me. It makes me feel better when I hear that they all died slow painful deaths. Or quick ones. Whatever, this is ridiculous.

--------------------
The creative principle unifies the inner and external worlds. It does not depend on time or space, is ever still and yet in motion; thereby it creates all things, and is therefore called 'the creative and the absolute'; its ebb and its flow extend to infinity. -Tao Te Ching

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Why should I not pollute? [Re: mantra]
    #4262700 - 06/06/05 06:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you all for the input. I realize now that I should have posted this in S&P. The question had stemmed from a debate that I had with a friend over the politics of pollution and how it is ok for some people/businesses to pollute massive amounts while others are expected to be peachy clean.

As others have indicated, it boils down to a moral issue... and because most people will sell their morals to make a profit, it only makes sense that laws need to be passed and enforced to force this moral upon society for the common good... or does it...

I guess that is kind of where I was going with all this.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#4262718 - 06/06/05 06:50 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So are then is your question whether future generations count towards "the common good"?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale