Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Spies like US
    #4251326 - 06/03/05 05:28 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The Pat Roberts Intelligence Scholars Program pays anthropology students, whose names are not disclosed, up to $50,000 (?27,500) a year.

They are expected to use the techniques of "fieldwork" to gather political and cultural details on other countries.

Britain's Association of Social Anthropologists called the scholarships ethically "dangerous" and divisive.

The ASA's president, John Gledhill, told the BBC News website the scholarships could foster suspicion within universities worldwide and cause problems in the field.

He said: "Anthropologists go all over the world for long periods and gain detailed knowledge of places, such as Iraq or South America.

"This is information which would be useful in security circles, which is not what anthropology is for."

Social anthropology: the study of (esp. primitive) peoples comparatively through their kinship systems, associations, institutions, culture, etc, and the forces that affect their social systems (Oxford English Dictionary)

Undergraduates taking part in the scholarship programme must not reveal their funding source and are expected to attend military intelligence summer camps.

However, Felix Moos, an anthropology professor at the University of Kansas, defended the scholarships.

He wrote in the journal Anthropology Today: "The United States is at war. Thus, to put it simply, the existing divide between academe and the intelligence community has become a dangerous and very real detriment to our national security at home and abroad."

At war with who? With what?.....with everybody from a different culture?

I thought the war was over 2 years ago with the 'Mission Accomplished' and the liberation of Iraq which now is a soveign state with mere civil issues.

Hot air and vivid imaginations bring this imaginary war to life in an effort to galvanise the US nation and define its moral backbone. The people come together to fight the common enemy....

Sacriligious and sanctimonious all at once the paradox continues. Academia becomes a travesty. A discipline already fighting off the corruption of surreptitious corporate invasion and its bio-piracy is set to loose all its credibility....And this a discipline from which we can learn so much and build such good cross-cultural relationships with; a discipline that celebrates cultural diversity and difference. Instead it will breed mistrust and insecurity.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Spies like US [Re: CJay]
    #4251440 - 06/03/05 08:18 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

> I thought the war was over 2 years ago with the 'Mission Accomplished'

It isn't that Bush was wrong when he hung the 'Mission Accomplished' poster, but rather everybody else had the wrong mission in mind. We all thought Bush meant that the war was over, the job done... but in reality, Bush meant "Mission Accomplished, we got ourselves a real humdinger of a war that will last me two terms and should make it through Jeb's two terms as well."

Remember, the Bush admin has claimed that the war on terror will be over before Bush leaves office (or something close to that, I don't remember the exact quote or who made it) and that they also claim that the war on terror is going to last a long time. With Jeb they get another eight years of Bush in office... donno who they will drum up after that...

> Instead it will breed mistrust and insecurity.

Kind of hard to keep the war on peace going if people start feeling secure and trusting one another...

Just another spore in the wind.

Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: Spies like US [Re: Seuss]
    #4251479 - 06/03/05 09:03 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You see too clearly my friend....too clearly

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion