Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Ok Here Goes my first casing
    #4250289 - 06/02/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I just want to make sure I have everything correct, this is my first attempt to case.

Ok I will be spawning 3 wbs quart jars in 4 lbs of pre sterilized substrate then casing with verm and coir (first question how deep should this top casing layer be?)

Second question when spawning I need to let it incubate till the myc. starts to pop through the substrate, then i need to add top casing layer of verm. (is this required that i wait till i put top layer on). I will get a aluminum fool pan and mix in that. (should i use perlite on bottom to bring up humidity in this first stage?)

Ok once the myc. starts to poke up it is advisable to give it a ten degree drop in temp, and the foil removed from the top of the pan, and this is when you start to fan a couple times or more a day. My incubating chamber and fruiting chamber is one in the same, except i don't use perlite when incubating, maybe i should because humidity at all times in my house is like 50 percent right? is that advisable?

If their is anything i am missing please let me know. I will be doing all this tomorrow.

The substrate mix I am using consists of screened dung, verm, spawnmate and some other nutrients for the mushrooms. When i spawn all i need to do is break up the wbs cakes and mix it good with the substrate.

I know that i migt be on the right path, just nervous about the whole thing, being this is my first grow ever, lol. And i have heard about first growing experiences with casing usually goes bad.

thanks in advance for all of your help.

Edited by prefloppro (06/03/05 12:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: Ok Here Goes my first casing [Re: prefloppro]
    #4250747 - 06/03/05 01:23 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

Re: Ok Here Goes my first casing [Re: prefloppro]
    #4250993 - 06/03/05 02:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

>>"I need to let it incubate till the myc. starts to pop through the substrate,"

You need to let it incubate until the Whole thing is colonized. So once the entire surface is colonized then wait a few days to be sure it is completely done. Once the surface is colonized it should be able to protect itself fairly well from contamination. So just allow enough time for the entire substrate to be colonized.

>>I will get a aluminum fool pan and mix in that.

Don't use an alumnim pan.. waste products from the myc can eat through it.

>>casing with verm and coir

That is fine.. but I think 50/50+ is better. But that's up to you.

>>3 wbs quart jars in 4 lbs

That is a lot of spawn for only 4lbs of poo. Not that it won't work.. but you could increase the poo.. bigger tub.. bigger yields. Up to you. The more spawn.. the faster it will colonize and the lesser the risk of contamination. So yeah.. up to you.

Hope that is of some help.

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

Re: Ok Here Goes my first casing [Re: Quiescence]
    #4251001 - 06/03/05 02:45 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Oh.. keep in mind that colonizing horsepoo will generate heat of its own. So if your normal room temperature is like 74 or so.. no need to heat your incubator. If you incubate the poo like normal jars (At 84degrees) it will get too hot and growth will stop.. and it will be bad.

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation