Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Microscope, Paul Stamets, Peat

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Panaeolus cambodginiensis - Hawaii * 1
    #4248371 - 06/02/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Panaeolus cambodginiensis - Hawaii

An aggressive, early fruiting strain with small caps. Pinheads are brownish olive that sometimes fades with age. The caps have a pale edge with a darker center and tend to not flatten out with maturity. So far spore production is low. Flesh blues when cut or bruised but maybe not as dramatically or easily as other strains/species of Panaeolus. This is only the first flush and attributes may change as the culture ages. Substrate is sterilized horse manure with a peat/calcium carbonate casing.

This sample was provided and labeled as P. cambodginiensis from Hawaii. I was suprised to find that, unlike every other Panaeolus spore I have observed under the microscope, this one has distinctly brown spores. The shape is the typical Panaeolus lemon shape but the coloration is not typical. I didn't think much of it until I looked at the spore prints deposited over night. The prints are distintly brown, similar to most Psilocybe species. I reviewed my copy of "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" and found that Panaeolus cambodginiensis has "blackish brown spores in deposit". I wouldn't call these blackish, but they are distictly brown, I'd say even purplish brown. There may be other species of active Panaeolus with brown spores, but I am not aware of them. For now I will tentatively identify this sample as P. cambodginiensis

When I first posted this information I made a mistake with my records and thought the specimen I was working with was a sampled labeled P. tropicalis from Puerto Rico. A review of my notes and source material revealed the error.

Micrographs showing the brown colored spores, pleurocystidia and 4-spored basidia (most obvious in far right image). The pointer is 8.4 micrometers is diameter.

The spore prints are pretty light so far, but when I get a photogenic one I'll post it here next to a P. cyanescens print for comparison.
---------------------------------------------------------
If you liked this post, check out the ones below.

Panaeolus cyanescens - Thailand
Panaeolus cyanescens - Australia
Panaeolus cyanescens - Jamaica

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (06/03/05 12:45 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: Panaeolus cambodginiensis - Hawaii [Re: Workman]
    #4258804 - 06/05/05 06:33 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the nice read!

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4260783 - 06/05/05 07:51 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

A side by side comparison of the brown spores and more typical black spores.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #4273248 - 06/08/05 09:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have seen a Hawaiian Wild Copelandia with Spores that color, also a Tailand-Phuket Island, that had spores that color.

Neither were textbook cambodginiensis. You have to look at the sizes of the spores, and the cystidia, and morphology of the cystidia. Not just the coloration.

You also have to be able to find a consistent Taxonomic description of cambodginiensis. It varies from Stamets to Weeks.

I wouldn't call it cambodginiensis unless you can match size coloration, and morphological features.  The same goes for the cambodian Cambodginiensis in circulation. It has the sharp elongated darkened apex on the cystidia, but that is it. Nothing else matched.

Nice job on all the macros, and nice micro pictures.  Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Just to give you an idea. The Tai-phuket and the Hawiaiian wild looked nothing like eachother EXCEPT for spore coloration. Which was common with what you got there.

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panaeolus cambodginiensis - Hawaii [Re: EonTan]
    #4276438 - 06/09/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was hoping you would weigh in with an opinion. I haven't taken the time to measure any microscopic features yet so I can't confirm the species (if that is even possible). The color was new to me so I was hoping it was significant. Trying to tease out different Copelandia species is like splitting hairs. The small differences are pretty much meaningless, but I will continue to look for 2 spored copes.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #4296983 - 06/14/05 11:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

There is lots of overlapping characteristics. It sure is fun looking at what is different though. :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Microscope, Paul Stamets, Peat

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology