Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSuffer
puter dork
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA
Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit)
    #4247642 - 06/02/05 01:15 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Wow its been a long time (>8 years on IRC) and I hate it to come to this... But I don't have any other options.

As there has already been speculation, confusion, and accusations on ALL SIDES surrounding my departure, lets clear a few things up. What spawned most of this was a conversation with Vampire999

(03:59:10) Vampy: I have taken a new outlook
(03:59:13) Vampy: if the minority if offended
(03:59:17) Vampy: the minority can get the fuck over it
(03:59:41) Vampy: im not going to force policy on everyone when there are 5 out of 150 people that are offended by something

that's not the WHOLE conversation, but that definitely pissed me off, even more-so when It no longer became a question of what was wrong but who to blame.

(04:06:37) Vampy: we cant change policy every 5 minutes
(04:06:44) Suffer: no we cant
(04:06:47) Suffer: but thats what were doing
(04:07:03) Vampy: no what we are doing is recovering from what you and link decided everyone needed

I received an email the following morning telling me, and i quote:

"....the two [ifallapart and i] of you seem to be pushing your 100% no tolerance views on other people recently"
"Lately one or the other of you have been banning every time you see a racist word."

Hm... This upset me because as almost anyone in IRC can tell you, Ive been taking it WAY easy recently. He also says

"I agree fully with her recent ban of that dood [Capt].. he was obviously just out to get banned. But there are other cases."

Yet when asked for other examples in the IRC forum by ifallapart, none besides that could be given.

"Suffer you cant force everyone on IRC to feel the way you do about your morals and expect them to uphold them. You shouldn't do that know what its like to be druggies and have people shove it down our throats."

Do I really behave like this here? Is racism such a part of chat that me having a problem with its excessive use is considered me forcing my opinion on someone? If this has been the case, why was I still an oper? Why had you not mentioned that earlier? Maybe this is just my ethics talking here, but if this place is to be run as a business, racial prejudice has no place in official channels of communication. I'm fairly certain any mod of any forum (besides maybe OTD) would have 1000% LESS patience for what any of us have put up with and ignored in IRC, AND FOR A GOOD REASON! It doesn't belong in certain aspects of our community, You of all people should understand that. My best guess is that you just don't hold any value to #shroomery.

On my way off of the network BEFORE I had received your emails. I did something childish. I changed the topic in #shroomery to "Go ahead and be racist, Vamp doesnt care"

Well, everything you've told me, you don't.

"When it comes to shroomery stuff I am an Admin first. It is the only way that you can exist being an admin that's just how it is."

Yep. So act like one. Ive removed myself from that situation, so how bout you take some responsibility for making 2 of your friends feel like shit by making fact-less claims of our irresponsibility and mock friendship.

Now before vamp jumps all over me for either posting parts of his emails or for not posting the entire thing, I will be dead honest. The content of your email wasn't as rude as my responses... But at that point it was all to clear to me that I no longer love this place, thanks for helping me to realize vamp. I have donated my time here in the past because it was something important to me. As it is being run right now, I cant say I want anything to do with it anymore.

Sorry kids. I really thought I was helping, but everything Ive been told the past 2 days says otherwise, that my efforts are counter productive, that people I thought I knew never told me if i was doing something wrong, that people here want racial intolerance in chat and that even tho I haven't done much about it... that's still too much.

Ifallapart has sent numerous emails and has posted about this in the IRC forum (private for those of you who don't know what im talking about) and I sent 2 nasty emails to Vamp. I dont expect to hear back from mine, but I would still like to know exactly what i did wrong and exactly what my girlfriend did to be treated like this. From the way things are going I don't expect a reply to either of us anytime soon...

FUCK THAT. I know better then to waste my time if its unappreciated.
Goodbye shroomery. I may post every now and then, but don't hold your breath.

--------------------

Edited by Suffer (06/02/05 03:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: Suffer]
    #4247689 - 06/02/05 01:29 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Sorry to see you go.

IRC cliques=stupid shit

That is all.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4247719 - 06/02/05 01:37 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

All this aside, I still think you should come to the NE2K5 gathering, and that's my two cents.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #4247725 - 06/02/05 01:39 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

[image][/image]

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineVampire999S
Man Of ManyAquariums
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
    #4248002 - 06/02/05 02:45 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Besides the issues I pointed out in your email you have been an excellent oper and contributed much this site over the years.

I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
./configure --without-sanity --without-logic --without-regret
jaded = safe != happy
Were not familly, we are the shroomery, and to some thats thicker than blood.

InvisibleIrishdrunk
Democracy? We Deliver!!!
Male User Gallery
    #4248043 - 06/02/05 02:56 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Take care Suffer! :beer:

--------------------
:awesome:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4248122 - 06/02/05 03:17 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I'm sorry to see you go, Suffer. You are a great guy and I hope you come back sometime. :frown:

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4248878 - 06/02/05 05:46 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

Sorry to see you go.

You of all people know it takes a while to fix racism ANYWHERE.

Anyway, I hope when things cool off, you will return.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: Rose]
    #4248913 - 06/02/05 05:52 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

If it's not harming anyone else, people should be able to discuss racism without being kicked or banned. Obviously the bias of the mod who would limit simply the discussion of a taboo subject isn't helpful to the sharing of opinions and information.

If racism is ever solved, it will be solved by debate and knowledge, not by oppression.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: Ravus]
    #4248984 - 06/02/05 06:03 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

I agree, mostly.

At a certain point though, you just gotta' ask people to stop.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4249063 - 06/02/05 06:25 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

editing speech is what fascist/communist dicatatorships do. advocate free speech and dont censor opinions. let someone go ahead and hate black people, you can think/know its wrong tell somoene its wrong, but dont force any of your views on people. what shroomery should promote is freedom of opinions and freedom of exchanging points of view...of course there is a corrext and forum for everything. my basic view is stop being thought police and let people be free, and dont judge people... lemme put it this way, if some asshole wants to post scat in otd, they arent "Stupid" or an "idiot" for thinking its funny. they just have a different sense of humor than you.....bah im rambling but i think everoyne gets the point.

Offlinecb9fl
Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4249073 - 06/02/05 06:27 PM (12 years, 29 days ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4249156 - 06/02/05 06:56 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

aw wtf? Don't be a Drama Queen.
Your going to give up your relationship with the Shroomery, and all the people you met here, over some little squable you had with Vamp?

You better not skip the gathering, or we'll lynch your cracker ass.

--------------------

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#4249312 - 06/02/05 07:36 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

weirdos

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4250198 - 06/02/05 11:16 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

if some people were taking the racist thing out of hand, i'd ban people too. just cause i don't give a fuck. fuck racism. take it somewhere else.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #4250201 - 06/02/05 11:16 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

the reason that some people have/had an objection to overthe top racism in #shroomery is because its the main channel of the server.  All people who click on text chat get directed there, and for a new person to come in looking for info and see nigger this and nigger that, I don't think makes a very good first impression.  This isn't a matter of censoring people, its a matter of realizing that there's a time and place for shit like that, and the lobby channel probably isn't the best place.  There's #hate, #otd, and countless other channels that suffer, I, and everyone else could care less about what people say in.  :shrug:  I suppose it's a mute point now anyways, I just thought I'd clarify that.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: Liz]
    #4250240 - 06/02/05 11:23 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

i guess that makes sense to keep the niggering out of the main channel, kind of a pub like setting...i forgot there is a #otd for morons to nigger off all day. i guess i agree then, as long as there are channels to speak 100% freely in. then maybe no more niggering in #shroomery is a good idea. why are irc nerds busy sitting around calling people niggers anyway?? get a job you nerds!!! :wink:

Offlinecb9fl
    #4250296 - 06/02/05 11:36 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

IRC is like the OTD of the internet.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#4250355 - 06/02/05 11:47 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
i guess that makes sense to keep the niggering out of the main channel, kind of a pub like setting...i forgot there is a #otd for morons to nigger off all day. i guess i agree then, as long as there are channels to speak 100% freely in. then maybe no more niggering in #shroomery is a good idea. why are irc nerds busy sitting around calling people niggers anyway?? get a job you nerds!!! :wink:

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Goodbye shroomery... (why i quit) [Re: Rose]
    #4250397 - 06/02/05 11:54 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

my sentiments exactly.  and for the record, in recent months, I had 19 bans, suffer had something like 24 and adrug had 64.  So we were not exactly nazis of #shroomery.  not to say adrug was...she's a damn good op and a sweetheart...I'm just baffled that we can somehow be made out to be cracking the whip with those numbers :shrug:

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback