Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Hmmm TiT humidity issue...
    #4247007 - 06/02/05 04:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Alright well I'm knocking up the jars tomorrow and sticking them in the incubator... but I'm curious as to what humidity it should be at.  I'm doing 20 quarts of rye, but the place I live in is pretty dry.... So I don't know if additional humidity is needed.  RH is around 50%... Any suggestions as to what I need to raise that up to, and possibly do so without a humidifier?  I'd rather not drill holes in my tubs :p Alright, thanks! :smile:

Oh-- Also around what temp am I aiming for?  72-90F ?

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAkashaPrinciple
Think ForYourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4247022 - 06/02/05 04:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Im still new to this, but im pretty sure that humidty isnt really an issue with incubating during the colonisation stage, i could be completely wrong though, so dont take my word for it.

--------------------
And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping. The moon tells me a secret.
"My confidant, As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own,
A million light reflections pass over me, It's source is bright and endless"

TOOL - 'Reflection'

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: AkashaPrinciple]
    #4247041 - 06/02/05 05:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i use perlite in my incuabtor with water , keeps the humidity up wich in turn prevents excessive moisture loss from the jars

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4247043 - 06/02/05 05:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

50% RH is not so low that it would dry substrate out too quickly.
But you're on the border line.
i suggest a small dish of perlite dosed with h2o2.

AND KEEP THE LID CLOSED

Edited by deanofmean (06/02/05 05:30 AM)

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: deanofmean]
    #4247050 - 06/02/05 05:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23457

Spawn Run:
Relative Humidity: 90%.
Substrate Temperature: 84?F - 86?F. Thermal death limits have been established at 106?F.
Duration: 10-14 days.
CO2: 5000 - 10,000 ppm.
Fresh Air Exchanges: 0 per hour.
Type of Casing: After fully run, cover with the standard casing whose preparations described in Chapter VIII. Layer to a depth of 1-2 inches. The casing should be balanced to an initial pH of 6.8 - 7.2.

as u can see spawn run should be 90% humidity, not 50%, which is why i use perlite and about half to 3/4 that ammount of water to keep the humidity up

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4247051 - 06/02/05 05:30 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

and i covered the optimal temps too

--------------------

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4247378 - 06/02/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

eesh no! dont use any humidification in your TiT. i did a 50/50 h202/water solution, came back to it after 4 days and all my jars had been infected by a brown slimy mold. the humidity had condensed and formed a perfect breeding ground for molds/bacteria.

your incu chamber should always be dry as possible.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: yousuck]
    #4247382 - 06/02/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

which is why i use perlite and about half to 3/4 that ammount of water to keep the humidity up

Inside the jars the humidity is well over 90%.

If where you live is 40% or Less and will acually Suck out the moisture ....Then Yes, you will want a higher Rh in your incubator so that the moisture won't secrete out of the jars.

But i've never had a problem with it and I doubt you will either.

gl

-Gnostic

OfflineCaptainCubensis
Stranger
Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4247445 - 06/02/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I also have a ? about Incubation. Yesterday, I just knocked up 6 half pint jars containing the BRF/Verm substrate. Anywho, they are currently incubating in a TiT with aluminum foil over the lids with the injection holes(Couldn't get any Tyvek right now, but plan to next time around). Whilst they are incubating, is it a good idea, or necessary for that matter to every so often remove the foil layer and allow air exchange? I am also using the dry Verm layer to protect against contams. Thanks

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: CaptainCubensis]
    #4247589 - 06/02/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

when the jars get >50% colonized, you might want to consider taking the foil off and letting them breathe the rest of the time. ive noticed most stalling at this point is attributed to low gas exchange.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: CaptainCubensis]
    #4247683 - 06/02/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Instead of tinfoil, take a coffee filter and rubberband it over the top of the jars as a dust cover.

As for the earlier humidity question. If you have low RH in your area then you might want to raise RH a bit. You can use perlite as suggested.. but it does get a bit messy so I don't like to use it if I don't have to. It always sticks to the jars and then you get it all over the floor. So I just mist a few times with a water / H2O2 solution to raise humidity and prevent things from growing. Avoid using Lysol in your TiT .. it can cause mutes.

Hope that helps
~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Re: Hmmm TiT humidity issue... [Re: yousuck]
    #4248303 - 06/02/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:
eesh no! dont use any humidification in your TiT. i did a 50/50 h202/water solution, came back to it after 4 days and all my jars had been infected by a brown slimy mold. the humidity had condensed and formed a perfect breeding ground for molds/bacteria.

your incu chamber should always be dry as possible.

thats why u add the h2o2...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom