Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
New Zealand mushroom identification thread
    #4247032 - 06/02/05 07:07 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Given the number of posts going into the find's thread I thought it might be apt to make a separate thread concentrating on unidentified mushrooms focussing on New Zealand.

To kick start it here is a request without a picture:

Habitat: East Auckland, New Zealand growing in a bark garden. Roots extend down to near the soil but are attached to teh bark not the soil.

Gill Characteristics: A dark chocolate brown, attached to the stems where the tiny part near the stem that attaches (about a mm squared) becomes white). Close gills. Only every second gill is attached to teh stem whereas every other gill comes to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way between the edge of the cap and the stem. (not sure if this is considered adnexed or adnate...)

Cap measurements: 2-6 cm across. On the caps which are not wavy the thickness is never over a cm, usually around 0.5 cm's

Stem measurement: Difficult to ascertain the length as none were uprooted but would estimate at LEAST 5cm from the base of the root on each of the larger ones, and still fairly long on the young ones.
Stems are thicker towards the attachment to the cap, up to about 0.5 cm thick whereas nearer the roots more like 2-4mm

Stem characteristics: fibrillose and hard to break, some paler colour towards the apex indicates the cap was fully attached. Initial colour was whiteish with some flecks, quickly blued, several hours later now mostly a murky black/grey colour with more noticeable blueing towards the cap.

Cap Characteristics: A pale goldish colour identical to this sub found here http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?i=mushrooms/psilocybe_subaeruginosa5.jpg
Some (one or two) had quite a slimy texture upon being picked but this could easily be attributed to teh noticeable slug damage. The caps are almost all wavy to different degrees, and all are flattish or arch upwards. None arch downwards at all, even those which are clearly quite young (though no infants were spotted or picked). Some are distinctly hygrophanous with the gill wrinkles becoming clearly visible around the edges of the caps when wet. This is mostly the younger mushrooms. No noticeable umbo but it does feel like there would have been one if they were downturned. Darker discolouration over where the umbo should be on many. There definitely seems to be a viscid pellicle on all of these though this is hard to confirm as they are now totally dry and it is difficult to peel off

Print: Most definitely a chocolate brown...very similar to teh gill colour.

Bruising: Considering I thought these were sub's suprisingly little on the cap. Some distinctive blueing around the edges on some, and definite blue tinges where damage has occured on some, though not all. Very little if any on the gills, though where the gills have rubbed away some is very noticeable on teh underside of the cap. Stems All blued within 10 minutes or so. and have now turned black/grey. Some still contain noticeable blotches of what could only be described as blue.

Scent: My sense of smell is awful. Could only describe these as damp mushroomy. Not super strong smelling.

taste: definitely mild but an acrid after taste

This is the best I can do as I can't find that guide with all the technical terms and details. I suspect these are sub's but am just a wee bit concerned as teh blueing is not as distinctive as I have noted in the past, the caps are all wavy (though these are nearly all mature) and all upturned or flat/upturned and other subs I have sampled have been all flat or downturned, and often a richer reddish brown, even when dry.

Edited by Cyberdyne (06/02/05 07:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
Re: New Zealand mushroom identification thread [Re: Cyberdyne]
    #4247044 - 06/02/05 07:21 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Overall the more mature specimens looked similar to this
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/05-22/769007833-Mushroom11.jpg

Quite messily upturned, but definitely a much paler shade.

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: New Zealand mushroom identification thread [Re: Cyberdyne]
    #4250719 - 06/03/05 01:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey,
I'm pretty sure what you've got is P.Subs.I've found 3 variations of them and your description suites one of the kind that I've found,also out east.The 3 kinds that I've found are Wavy,domed and flat.The first 2 were in bark gardens and the other being in pine needles-
Hope this helps you

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification