Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus
    #4245942 - 06/01/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Who here also suffers from this insidious noise in your head. I used to get it temporarily after attending loud concerts but now after a Superjoint Ritual show and then a Parliament show just a little over a month ago I think its hear to stay. Both of those shows were in a small club venue and I was at the same spot for both right in front of the monitor. I should have known better and wore ear plugs but I didn't. Now to make things worse I have to ride with this white thug poser kid with a system in his car to a Drug Court program everyday. He plays that thing so god damn loud even with my ear plugs in I think its still doing damage although not as much.

For anyone who suffers from this ailment have you found any remedies or herbs or something that has helped you with it or do you just learn to live with it? I have seen products like ring stop that are ridiculously overpriced and I'm not sure they work based on their testimonials alone.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Edited by QuantumMeltdown (06/01/05 09:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4245949 - 06/01/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I just did a search and got this:

What Is the Treatment?
In most cases, there is no specific treatment for ear and head noise. If your otolaryngologist finds a specific cause of your tinnitus, he or she may be able to eliminate the noise. But, this determination may require extensive testing including X-rays, balance tests, and laboratory work. However, most causes cannot be identified. Occasionally, medicine may help the noise. The medications used are varied, and several may be tried to see if they help.

The following list of DOs and DON'Ts can help lessen the severity of tinnitus:

Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.
Get your blood pressure checked. If it is high, get your doctor's help to control it.
Decrease your intake of salt. Salt impairs blood circulation.
Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola, and tobacco.
Exercise daily to improve your circulation.
Get adequate rest and avoid fatigue.
Stop worrying about the noise. Recognize your head noise as an annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible.
What Can Help Me Cope with Tinnitus?
Concentration and relaxation exercises can help to control muscle groups and circulation throughout the body. The increased relaxation and circulation achieved by these exercises can reduce the intensity of tinnitus in some patients.

Masking. Tinnitus is usually more bothersome in quiet surroundings. A competing sound at a constant low level, such as a ticking clock or radio static (white noise), may mask the tinnitus and make it less noticeable. Products that generate white noise are also available through catalogs and specialty stores.

Hearing Aids. If you have a hearing loss, a hearing aid(s) may reduce head noise while your are wearing it and sometimes cause it to go away temporarily. It is important not to set the hearing aid at excessively loud levels, as this can worsen the tinnitus in some cases. However, a thorough trial before purchase of a hearing aid is advisable if your primary purpose is the relief of tinnitus.

Tinnitus maskers can be combined within hearing aids. They emit a competitive but pleasant sound that can distract you from head noise. Some people find that a tinnitus masker may even suppress the head noise for several hours after it is used, but this is not true for all users.

Summary
Prior to any treatment of tinnitus or head noise, it is important that you have a thorough examination and evaluation by your otolaryngologist. An essential part of your treatment will be your understanding of tinnitus and its causes.

From  here.

Good luck...hopefully you can reduce the bothersome effect of the problem.  :heart:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4246310 - 06/01/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have it some in my right ear after attending several loud concerts and listening to music too loud wearing headphones. It's something I've learned to live with. Luckily it's not too bad in my case. I don't think there's much you can do to correct it- just make sure you protect your ears from now on. Don't be afraid to have people back off the volume when you're around. They'll understand.

That white noise generator might help mask the noise if it bothers you when trying to sleep. I use a portable heater using only the fan at night, but more to mask the sounds of my neighborhood.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: Jellric]
    #4246404 - 06/01/05 11:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Jellric said:
I have it some in my right ear after attending several loud concerts and listening to music too loud wearing headphones. It's something I've learned to live with. Luckily it's not too bad in my case. I don't think there's much you can do to correct it- just make sure you protect your ears from now on. Don't be afraid to have people back off the volume when you're around. They'll understand.

That white noise generator might help mask the noise if it bothers you when trying to sleep. I use a portable heater using only the fan at night, but more to mask the sounds of my neighborhood.

Yeah mines mostly in my right ear also. That's what I thought too that there's not much I can do except prevent future damage. I will bring plugs with me to any concerts I attend now in the future. I also use a fan at night to mask the sounds of my ears an neighbors it works pretty good. I guess its the worst when I pay the most attention to it. Its a feeling like fuck! I fucked up my ears permanently! I just hope it doesn't translate into hearing damage as I get older.

Ellemy I thought for some reason when I posted this that you would be the first to respond for some strange reason I guess it's just my intuition :heart: Thanks for doing the search for me. I have done some of my own. Some places speak of a treatment where they train your subconscious not to pay attention to the ringing. A kind of retraining process. The ringing will always be there but only if you listen for it. I have noticed myself using the same procedures they use to retrain you myself without knowing. Like I will listen to the TV at a lower volume than the ringing in my ears so I will have to train myself to hear the TV above the ringing which makes the ringing decrease after time.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Jimmy Buffett

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
nootropics [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #4247500 - 06/02/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

some nootropics have allegedly been very useful in treating tinnitus...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
googled: [Re: gnrm23]
    #4247605 - 06/02/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: googled: [Re: gnrm23]
    #4247834 - 06/02/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hydergine

Another "smart drug", for which Dean & Morgethaler say: "Hydergine is reported to increase mental abilities, prevent damage to brain cells from insufficient oxygen (hypoxia), and may even be able to reverse existing damage to brain cells [Ed. Note: Call me skeptical].

Hydergine is an extract of ergot, a fungus that grows on rye. Midwives in Europe traditionally used ergot with birthing mothers to lower their blood pressure. Researchers at the pharmaceutical giant Sandoz analyzed ergot in the late 1940s, looking for blood-pressure medications. Of the thousands of compounds that researchers found in ergot, three were combined and tested for their anti-hypertensive properties. When studies with elderly people uncovered cognition-enhancing effects, Sandoz began spending a great deal of research money on Hydergine. It is now one of the most popular treatments for all forms of senility in the U.S., and is used to treat a plethora of problems elsewhere in the world.

Our friend ergot shows his head again.

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: googled: [Re: newuser1492]
    #4247853 - 06/02/05 12:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
]

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #4248019 - 06/02/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here you can find all the answers you need:
tinnitus support

Just make shure you don't spend much time there, cos it makes you think about your tinnitus which is the major reason for making it louder.

Protect your ears with ear-plugs

And make a good search before you use any medicine, most are already tested by others, and it seems that nothing really works for most.

Try the psychological approach. Tinnitus is very often associated with hearing loss, some times it is how it starts.

Be gentle with your ears, they are super sensitive!!

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4254064 - 06/03/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I guess its the worst when I pay the most attention to it.

It's the same way with me. I've had it several years so I've definitely adapted. It really doesn't bother me at all anymore. Only time I have problems is occasionly when several people are talking at once in a small room I will have a little trouble sorting out the cross currents of sounds. I think I have probably just acquired the skill of listening better without realizing it.

Mine manifests as a high pitched tone in my right ear. Normally it is masked completely by background noise and the only time I notice it is late at night as I lie in bed to go to sleep. So I'm very lucky.

I'm just glad I'm not like Pete Townsend of The Who. He has severe tinnitus and hearing loss from years of playing shows. I think he described the noise as like a vacuum cleaner running in his ears constantly.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: Jellric]
    #4255302 - 06/04/05 08:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Whenever I used go to concerts, by the the time I left, I'd have this fuzzy, grating sound in my head. It'd go away in 12 hours, but the point is that I started wearing ear plugs at every concert I went to, and if I had none, I'd cup my hands over my ears.

From now on, keep ear plugs with you at all times for the case that you're going to a concert or place with loud music like being with the asshole who'll drive you.

If it doesn't go away in a while, see a doctor and/or go with ElleMyShade's advice.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: Society]
    #4255740 - 06/04/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah that's a good tip about keeping the plugs on me at all times. I think I'm going to start carrying a pair in my wallet. I would rather get strange looks then have the condition get worse. Townsends tinnitus sounds real bad if it sounds as loud as a vacuum cleaner that would be terrible. No wonder why he is a sort of spokesperson for Tinnitus and wearing plugs.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

-Mark Twain

Jimmy Buffett

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4264710 - 06/06/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I :heart: Pete

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #4265153 - 06/06/05 07:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have this. I think it was caused by ear infections when i was little and braces/teeth shit. When i clench my jaw the high pitch squeel in both my ears gets louder. It doesnt bother me too much but i have to have a tv on ors omthing when i go to sleep. If i am heavily concentrated on a task in a quiet environment i dont notice it either.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ringing in Ears, Tinnitus [Re: baraka]
    #4265660 - 06/06/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i don't have ringing in my ears unless there is a frequency of noise notice sometimes you can hear high pitched noises? anyone know what this is from? electricity..?

but i do have TMJ...if i yawn, open my mouth wide it will crack every time & I'll hear it in my ear...its the muscle stretching, also my jaw on the left side is always out of place, if i pop it 10 minutes later i could pop it back...sucks & very intense pain especially if i make the muscle crack it will get so bad i can't do anything = \

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds