Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Fierce Grace
    #4245902 - 06/01/05 10:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Finally got the opportunity to see this movie, and thankfully it has came to me with the resurgence of LSD into my social groups and my strongly renewed use and interest of it as a method to divine experience.

Did this film come into any of y'alls hands?

Blessings,

CJ

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Fierce Grace [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #4245931 - 06/01/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Never heard of it. Please, can you tell me something about it. Sounds like my kind of movie. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Fierce Grace [Re: Icelander]
    #4245972 - 06/01/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, it is a movie about Ram Dass (Richard Alpert, Harvard psychologist and partner of Timothy Leary), his experiences with "being stroked" (having had a stroke, and what it revealed to him about the process of aging and dying), his early life, use of psychedelics, voyages to India and meeting the Maharaji Neem Karoli Baba, the Book "Be Here Now", therapeutic (on both sides) meetings with others whose plans have been traumatically interrupted through the unexpected (and violent) death of loved ones, etc.

From what I know about reading your posts, I was actually thinking of you, GettingJiggyWithIt, Markos, gnrm23, and a few others.

If you can't find it in any video stores (look eclectic ones first over Hollywood Videos etc. if you live in the city) then look at www.ramdasstapes.org or Amazon for descriptions etc. to see if it's possibly worth purchasing.. (or PM me and I could potentially let you borrow it).

Blessings, CJ

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #4247484 - 06/02/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

it is one of several "psychedelically-themed" movies on my short list...

~

shine on, bro...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4247575 - 06/02/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

OK Ram Dass, I have heard of it. I must admit to mixed feelings about Ram Dass. I sure liked Be Here Now, when it came out. I also heard he narced on Tim Leary and got him expelled from his teaching position. He had a technique in doing therapy of not speaking for awhile to a new client at their first meeting. He looked quietly into their eyes. He waited quietly as the person became more uncomfortable and went through all there trips. At some point though he would say, looking intently at them, are you in there. This usually effected a breakthrough in real communication.

I saw him speak a few years ago in my town. I thought he was dull and often confused. Using old material and telling stories about the miricles of his guru, while everyone worshiped at his feet. I kept thinking to myself what the fuck. Then it hit me. He was stoned on medical pot. He thought himself clever and wise. He wasn't very aware of his condition because no one reflected the truth back to him. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and got up and left. He never should have been there and I lost some respect for him.

As you can see, and the reason I tell all of this, is that he was very human, good and not so much. I used to throw people away when they showed imperfection. Now, because I worship no man, I can take the gems and leave the rest. No more throwing the baby out with the bathwater. :mushroom2: :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#4249468 - 06/02/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I as well saw him several years ago in Ann Arbor, MI at the University and at the Jewel Heart Center and shared some of the feelings you did, and actually talked with him about it after the 4 hour long workshop. What I never could have expected was as I walked forward towards him I got a buzz, I became soaring high and everything my feelings I began to express to him began to seem very trite. As he took my hand and rubbed my palm, I choked on my words as all this love began to pour forth. I understood that it came from a place where I had nothing to conceal, a non-judgmental place where everything that I feared if people knew abou t me that they would no longer love me was already known and yet there was still love.

I totally understand, the lecture/workshop wasn't good at all from my perspective either. It would have been much better spent if it was more of a spirited social interaction with one another.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4249488 - 06/02/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
I as well saw him several years ago in Ann Arbor, MI at the University and at the Jewel Heart Center and shared some of the feelings you did, and actually talked with him about it after the 4 hour long workshop.  What I never could have expected was as I walked forward towards him I got a buzz, I became soaring high and everything my feelings I began to express to him began to seem very trite.  As he took my hand and rubbed my palm, I choked on my words as all this love began to pour forth.  I understood that it came from a place where I had nothing to conceal, a non-judgmental place where everything that I feared if people knew abou t me that they would no longer love me was already known and yet there was still love.

I totally understand, the lecture/workshop wasn't good at all from my perspective either.  It would have been much better spent if it was more of a spirited social interaction with one another.

Thanks for posting. This is very interesting. You felt the same about it as I did yet you got high off something. Would you care to guess  or specualte on what that something was. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#4249635 - 06/02/05 09:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Shift of Awareness to the Heart Chakra, I'd say. It was like Ram Dass had a force field around around him and when I walked into it my awareness shifted. Why this didn't happen while watching him for 4 hours in my chair, I'm not sure. Either he really has a very compelling aura around him that coaxes others into experience love when they step into it, or perhaps at least secretly I knew he wasn't judging me as I walked forth towards him and it got me high. Also, my friend and housemate said "boy, did you feel that buzz?" with a big smile as we left... to him, it wasn't surprising, only natural.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4249683 - 06/02/05 09:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting! I never got close to him. I have never had that kind of experience from another person. I hear about it all the time, but because of scandles and such I don't have much faith in gurus. I take what I want/need and consider them just another guy on the forums. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#4249874 - 06/02/05 09:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

now, just for the record - i never said ram dass was a guru and neither has he. i'm sure many people have mistakenly treated him as such, though.

but, i have come to Gnow there are Gurus and Salvific Beings through varities of experiences. i totally respect that you don't have faith in something you haven't personally experienced, i think it's a particular Western-minded birthright that we and others here share, each with our own unique path and common bonds manifesting Divinity.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4249913 - 06/02/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #4251507 - 06/03/05 09:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the sufis call that cosmic juice "baraka"...

~

(& on a historical note: i suspect that the articles written by andy weil (alleging undergraduate dosing, and drugged seduction scenes, & other tittilating details, so as to make for ummmm "good press" whatever that is...) that caught the attention of the boston public as well as harvard board of regents was more the reason for their seperation from harvard academia... alpert & leary both lost their jobs with the harvard psychology department... & they worked together at castalia, & IFIF, & the mexico fiasco, & eventually at billy hitchcock's mansion near millbrook NY (to be ultimately busted by g gordon liddy)... etc...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Fierce Grace [Re: gnrm23]
    #4252245 - 06/03/05 03:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

in the movie Tim Leary (i suspect it's footage of Ram Dass visiting him during what was closer to his final days) jokes with Ram Dass, saying if you hadn't met me at Harvad you'd be someone now (as in important to the scientific community) and they both laugh and Ram Dass says "That's true, if it wasn't for you I probably would."
at any rate, it's was obvious from the footage that they were still friends.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology