Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Some help before casing
    #4245533 - 06/01/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Couple of questions as my brf cakes are getting near the end finally. I'll try and be brief and I hope someone anwers them all for me as sometimes people asnwer one. Anyways:

1) K, some are like almost all white.  How can I be on the safe side to know they are all colonized in the inside before I dunk.

2)  Turning the jar upside down for c02 reease. HOw do I know if I need to do that. RIght  it is day 15, but some otheres ar e behinde. Any ways, woun't some of the verm fall out of the holes. I didn' tape.

3) 50/50 tek. Is it true verm on the bottom is no good. Should I jsut put sub or a 1/4'' of casing mix

4)  When cased,  they need to be incubated correct.  Should their be perlite for this or just the same conditions as when I did my jars.
4)1) Incubate for how long, until all the myc is even
4)2) Temps & Humidty.  Or is the same as when jars were incu.... no answer needed.

5)  KInda concerned about the 10 degree drop. I'll be luck to get  5-7 degree change no that its summer, or is this not a big factor with brf. Also, when they say 10 degree drop in the teks do they men F or C  cause makes a huge difference for me then

6)  This isn't as important but am curious. K, if I dunk my cakes, then case.  After first flush, do I have to dunk my casing or no.  If not, what if after my final flush I dunked my casing. Would there be anything after that and if so, would there even be any potency.  Is it possible to get 4 flushs or not. Or is that with grains.

Thanks. I know this seems like alot. I've been reading around of course. But I need clarification which is why I'm asking so if someone can be so kind that would be mint. I don't want a failure on my first try here. SO far so good with the cakes.

Anyways I'll be waiting.
Peace :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: Some help before casing [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4245583 - 06/01/05 09:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

K, lessee if I can help.

1) When they are all white on the outside, give 'em another 3 days, it'll be fine.
2)OOF, you've been lucky. If they are open holes, either tape them, or keep them puppies ultra sanitary, you're so close now. Contams will  have a hard time getting a hold now, be careful.
3)That's personal preference. I did 50/50 on the bottom. This time Imma put almost dry (lightly moist) verm.
4)Exact same conditions as the jars. No light, in & out real quick (a day or two)
4)1.Yeah, you should just barely see mike.
  2.right

5)Same, aint it? Are you heating now? You should get 10 just taking the heater away, won't be a prob anyway :wink:
6)Yeah. Some claim to get 17 flushes :confused: I usually get 2 or 3 before I ditch 'em. Dunk/cold shock will give you just the righttemp. changes in the summer. It als rehydrates them.

Hope that helps.

:peace: :mushroom2: :sun:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Some help before casing [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4245654 - 06/01/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all your hepl man, that hellps for sure.

But...

1) I was told by many not use tape, some perfer not to, I have foil though so should I still tape
2) K, you say in out for uncubating. But from what I read, it says to incubate and when the myc comes to the surface place casing mix on top and continue until its even. I'll be doing kinda large casings.
3) Yeah my Tit is 27, but its like summer here now but I'll worry about heat later I guess
4). So I'm not sure if I understood. Dunk, casing, grow, then cold shock or dunk and c.s the same thing. If so, thats bad one on me. I;m kinda scared of putting my casings in the frdige though, I heard you get alot of contams
5) Wow people really get that many flushs. Whats there potency like then? Curious, why do you chuck yours.
6) CAlcium Carbonate instead of Lime. I forgot this one. Is it liquid/powder/ what??? I went to Canadian tire here in Canada where they have garden supplies never found it but what should I be looking for.

I knew I forgot one. VENTING

I get confused when they say 3 times a day for a couple hrs. I mean, what, open the lid, fan with something then close. DO that a couple times.
What if I left the lid just a little bit open or does it have to be sealed for the humidity.

ANd perlit. 1 " on the bottom right. I know that sounds totally un reasearched but just checkin.

THanks again man,

Nathan

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
    #4245747 - 06/01/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

1. I have used both tape and foil and have had suvcess with both...falls into the don't worry too much category in my opinion.

2. I read the same thing and had intentions on waiting for the myc to start showing through, but to be honest I got excited (my 1st casing ya know) and didn't revisit the incubator at all and had an inch of 50/50 verm/peat with a little lime on top. 12 days later I had almost 300 grams of wet Cambo's first flush. Ideally though...wait for the myc to show..:)

3. Good choice...just try to keep the temp somewhat close to consistent if you can.

4. Dunking is physically dunking a cake in water...some people use containers and weight them down as they will float, I chose to put each one in it's own individual ziploc bag..then put them in the fridge for 24 hours. Cold shocking can just be covering your casing with aluminum foil and putting them in the fridge for 24 hours. Don't be too worried about contams....your Myc is so colonized at this point it is quite resistant to them. I had a hard time putting my little babies in a ziploc bag for 24 hours with water too, but the cold shocking followed by the light you will be subjecting them to after the 24 hours gives them the message: FRUIT!!!

5. That many flushes would be the exception to the rule from what I have read and from what the great teachers here have taught. However, keep right on flushing as long as the nutrients hold out...if the nutes start to die and the flushes are geting tiny...I would put em in an outdoor bed utilizing one of the outdoor teks for spent myc and see what ya get...some people have been amazed at the results.

6. You can get Calcium Carbonate at a Health Food Store.
7. I believe what they mean by venting is three or four times per day, you open the fruiting chamber and "fan" the cakes or casings to bring in some fesh air to them......clearing out the CO2.

8. You will get more humidity by sealing it...and the fanning should provide the O2 needs. I have to admit because of my schedule I have some small pin-sized holes for some air exchange. I may be away from the fruitage for 10 or 11 hours....thus the holes.

9. Your perlite depth is okay as far as I have read and experienced.....I have 1.5 inches of perlite in my fruiting chamber right now with a half inch of sterile water. Many have said and written that the perlite only needs to be thoroughly soaked and strained only so it is damp and that much water isn't needed.

Truly hope this helped Nathan, and any of the Mushroom Gods that know a crapload more than me are more than welcome to step in and give better advice...I welcome it because it usually teaches me something new.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

#4245884 - 06/01/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you so much, that was excellent.

So if I was to cold shock, when woudl that be, after the first flush.

YOu said you left your first casing in the incubator. Did you have perlit in there and what temo did oyu have. I;m growing cambos to. I got 20 1/2 pints of brf so I;m hoepign to get a an ounce or 2.

ALso, any advice on this. I am going away for three days at the end of the month and stuff will be fruiting maybe. WHat would you do.

Nathan

Thanks again, awasome response

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Re: Some help before casing [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4245900 - 06/01/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

exactly :cool:
no perlite in the inc. just the same way.
yeah, they'll be fruiting by then. It is very hard not to overlay your first casing, it's almost guaranteed :tongue:
Pull 'em out of incubation the second you see the slightest white under the surface, don't let it pop out too much, patch if really necessary (if it's really uneven, prolly won't be too uneven tho) and you might be out of town right between flushes. For this find some auto air exchange, like a computer fan or whatever

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (06/01/05 10:48 PM)

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

#4245906 - 06/01/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering what either of you did with your casing mix. Microwave/bake/ etc

Louise Louise, what was excatly.

Nathan

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

#4245927 - 06/01/05 10:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

lol.
Oysterguy hit it on the head. Yeah, I like to sterilize my mix in the mic. before I use it. But whatever you do, the casing mix is hard to mess up, mostly because it's non-nutritious :thumbup:
O, you will even be ok if you use no buffers. But easy with that calcium carb. it throws the mix off quick-like.
Study Mikological's (sp?) casing moisture techs by searching in this forum. You can find mike in the sponsor's forum  :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by LouiseLouise (06/01/05 10:53 PM)

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

#4245932 - 06/01/05 10:52 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You've been great man. Do you mind if I PM you if I ever have a prob.

Nathan

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
    #4245952 - 06/01/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I sterilized mine the same was as Louise....and you should cold shock right after you case them for the first time.....some cold shock after each flush...I have just chosen to mist heavily, but folks say they have gotten excellent results with the shocking/dunking. And you are so welcome......just trying to continue the tradition that so many kind folks have started on here.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation