Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen?
    #4245159 - 06/01/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have a character who is forced to eat vegetable broth every day. That's the only thing he is given to eat and he's been eating it for about 4 years now.

What would happen to the body if you did this? What sort of problems would you run into? Would your teeth and hair fall out or what?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: MOTH]
    #4245171 - 06/01/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If he's been doin it for 4 years now with no problems then I doubt anything would happen in the future.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: DNKYD]
    #4245176 - 06/01/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No, what I mean is that I'm trying to decide if he WOULD have problems from eating only vegetable soup everyday for four years...

Because I want to be realistic with this as a writer.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: MOTH]
    #4245181 - 06/01/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Personally, I'd go crazy from meat withdrawals.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4245204 - 06/01/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would miss it too...this particular character is not allowed to partake of the flesh of beasts. He is only given the soup.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #4245207 - 06/01/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

4 years is a long time... teeth would probably rot (but no scurvy), he'd have a super clean GI tract (and as such would shit liquid)..... I guess it depends on what vegetables.... if he's eating solids at least he would be getting *some* fibre; or is it just the broth?

I'd say rot-toothed, liquid shiter

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: blink]
    #4245214 - 06/01/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking maybe they would give him raw fruit and stuff, and possibly nuts. 

Can't have the Seraph of Eerynil getting all nasty-mouthed...

But they would let him live with the shits.  :smirk:

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4245230 - 06/01/05 05:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
I was thinking maybe they would give him raw fruit and stuff, and possibly nuts.

He might get away with it and still be somewhat normal functioning...
protein would be his first problem

If you allow him to eat grains (flax) as well then he should be able to adapt to it.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: blink]
    #4245236 - 06/01/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
Quote:

EllemyshShade said:

He might get away with it and still be somewhat normal functioning...
protein would be his first problem

If you allow him to eat grains (flax) as well then he should be able to adapt to it.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  :thumbup:

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4245240 - 06/01/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He'd be getting a lot less fats and protein (unless there's soy in the soup) than a person on a normal diet. He'd also be suffering from vitamin B deficiency.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? *DELETED* [Re: ummikko]
    #4245259 - 06/01/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #4245266 - 06/01/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

where's shroomism when you need him?

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4245276 - 06/01/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blinkidiot said:
can he eat people?

Can he eat people? Hmm...I'd say no, but I might want to consider the idea further.

But probably no. The Tharkosens eat people though.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4245315 - 06/01/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would get pretty sick of eating only vegetable soup after about a week probably. I couldnt do it.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #4245319 - 06/01/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

you would be a vegetarian?

haha depends whats in the soup i guess

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4245327 - 06/01/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If you made it a really good thick soup with soy texture, and served some kind of special heavy bread made with various highly nutritious grains (flax fo shizzle), he'd be a healthy guy..

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4245338 - 06/01/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mattzdope said:
I would get pretty sick of eating only vegetable soup after about a week probably. I couldnt do it.

Yah, he doesn't really have a choice in the matter and when he leaves and learns that there is other food out there I'm sure he'll feel pretty bitter that they made him eat soup all the time.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4245473 - 06/01/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well quite a few vegetables has vitamin c so I couldn't see him getting scurvy.. I don't know what he would suffer from.. maybe lack of omega 3 fatty acids.. lol.. but then again 99% of americans already do. I don't know.. he'd probably be relatively healthy..

It would be better if he was forced to eat nothing but twinkies, or steak. Then he could have a sudden stroke.. and all kinds of fun stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4245501 - 06/01/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

oh vegetable broth only? well probably the first thing that would happen is he would get constipated because his colon would atrophy from lack of bulk fiber. And so on.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4245514 - 06/01/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, he can't be too sickly or at the brink of death otherwise there is no story.  :wink:

I think they might give him access to raw fruit/vegees.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4245519 - 06/01/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Then he would be healthier than most people :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4245540 - 06/01/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No he wouldn't be healthy, he would atrophy away because protein and fats are needed for such a wide variety of bodily functions. You can live with them your entire life without carbohydrates, not so in the reverse.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #4245550 - 06/01/05 06:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt he would get all of the essential amino acids required for life so he would have most likely died a while ago. If he wasnt given nuts, beans, or rice i would bet that he would be dead.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: looner2]
    #4245552 - 06/01/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ok.. I agree we need protein and fats, but I didn't understand your last sentence. But now that I think about it your right.. need grains and nuts.

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: looner2]
    #4245568 - 06/01/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm reading about Multiple System Atrophy right now and it doesn't say anything about being caused by poor nutrition.  It says the cause is unknown. 

But I did find  this page that lists all sorts of nutrients we need to survive and what happens if we don't get them.  There's an entire grisly list.  :thumbup:

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

#4245606 - 06/01/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If his diet was lacking in any of the essential amino acids his body wouldn't be able to function properly. Its as simple as that. Many cellular processes would become impossible and he would die. Vegetarians are able to avoid this by eating combinations of beans and grains, which alone are incomplete nutritionally, but together hold all of the amino acids which are required for life. A vegetable soup would almost surely lack at least one essential amino acid so if that was strictly his diet he would not survive.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Twister]
    #4245622 - 06/01/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Twister351 said:
If his diet was lacking in any of the essential amino acids his body wouldn't be able to function properly. Its as simple as that. Many cellular processes would become impossible and he would die. Vegetarians are able to avoid this by eating combinations of beans and grains, which alone are incomplete nutritionally, but together hold all of the amino acids which are required for life. A vegetable soup would almost surely lack at least one essential amino acid so if that was strictly his diet he would not survive.

Yeah, I'm thinking at this point he'll just be sipping soup along with the raw food thing and some beans and maybe bread.

Either way, it's a shitty way to eat every single meal.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4245641 - 06/01/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Ok.. I agree we need protein and fats, but I didn't understand your last sentence. But now that I think about it your right.. need grains and nuts.

You can live without carbohydrates as long as you are getting enough energy from fat and protein. You can't live without protein or fat.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

#4245666 - 06/01/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:

Try telling that to vegetarians. Goddamned gluttons for punishment. :grin:

InvisiblePaulAtreides
Paw Paw DBK ...

#4245703 - 06/01/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He would look like this

--------------------

WDYWFM?
I just want full access damnit
Rono he hate me...
I'm going to be reading every post that you make...and anything that even remotely offends me is going to get your ass banned. How you like 'dem apples asshole?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Twister]
    #4245816 - 06/01/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Twister351 said:
Quote:

EllemyshShade said:

Try telling that to vegetarians. Goddamned gluttons for punishment. :grin:

Well, I didn't mean it like that. It's just that his food has no variety.  He's eaten the exact same meal every day for 4 years and it's pretty bland.

OfflineniCCa
BwaBwaHan
Loc: Earth temporarily
    #4246770 - 06/02/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Megaloblastic anaemia?

--------------------
Heaveno...CU CU CU CU CU in the Highway...Peace

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: niCCa]
    #4246861 - 06/02/05 02:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You could always say beans are a component of the soup? Vegetable broth w/ beans - sounds horrible! Then give him some bread and maybe a fruit jam? I guess jam probably isn't healthy enough.... Just trying to throw out some ideas so his situation sounds as horrible as possible. Maybe they just give him the fruits that aren't good enough to sell? I don't really know what the story is so I don't know how that would fit.

--------------------
]

OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Wysefool]
    #4246931 - 06/02/05 03:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He would definitely loose lots of weight, go into Ketosis and that could be quite dangerous with broth alone. He would probably lose a lot of hair too and possibly some teeth. He would be weak all the time. He'd probably wanna murder someone for torturing him so badly, due to his brain being deprived and all the numerous chemical imbalances, he could become psychotic.

If you gave him raw veggies and nuts, he'd be perfectly healthy. That would actually be an ideal, wholesome, well balanced diet.

Raw veggies alone could pose a problem. Lots of deficiencies may develop. But this would be far better than the broth alone. He could definitely survive and live fairly normal on this diet but he would be thin and deficient in many various nutrients.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #4246940 - 06/02/05 03:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? 

he might become a vegetable?

:smirk:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Wysefool]
    #4246951 - 06/02/05 03:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wysefool said:
You could always say beans are a component of the soup? Vegetable broth w/ beans - sounds horrible! Then give him some bread and maybe a fruit jam? I guess jam probably isn't healthy enough.... Just trying to throw out some ideas so his situation sounds as horrible as possible.

hehe, thank you, that's what I'm trying to do. Make his life as miserable as possible without killing him and also still allow him to look somewhat presentable for his adoring public.

He is physically a 14 year old hermaphrodite, but he's only been alive for four years...long story, heh.

Offlinebixo
Dremel Addict
 User Gallery

Loc: The Autobahn
    #4246960 - 06/02/05 03:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

im more worried about what is going to happen if you eat nothing but food from a vending machine everyday... will i go into stasis from all the preservatives?

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: bixo]
    #4247016 - 06/02/05 04:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

what's the plot of this story? now i'm quite interested to read it!

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Krishna]
    #4247071 - 06/02/05 05:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Krishna, it is a very long story...I am estimating I might have the entire thing written in 6 books.  I'm only about a quarter-way through the first book because I keep re-editing to get it right. My goal is to have the first book done in a year. To give you an idea what it is like...I'm trying to make the psychedelic experience into a story.  Like, if the psychedelic experience was an actual, living story, how would it be told? 

I'm re-editing the opening chapter (again, heh) and I'll post it in the Arts and Literature forum when it is ready for public consumption.  :smile:

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4247099 - 06/02/05 05:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i'll be eagerly awaiting it!

--------------------

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
    #4247192 - 06/02/05 07:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not with it.. How does eating veggie soup for four years tie in with psychedelic experiences?

BTW my contrib... He'd definately have the squits..

--------------------

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #4247207 - 06/02/05 07:46 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He can survive if he's special.  :smirk:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

OfflineSreba
Random
Male

Loc: Central Scotland Flag
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Hambo]
    #4247526 - 06/02/05 10:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hambo said:
I'm not with it.. How does eating veggie soup for four years tie in with psychedelic experiences?

Perhaps it may be like Plato's cave story... after years of being fed the same shit he/she goes into the real world and discovers that theres alot more to life and many new sensations to experience (like the psychedelic experience is compared to normal life).

--------------------
"In addition to my other numerous acquaintances, I have one more intimate confidant.  My depression is the most faithful mistress I have known... no wonder, then, that I return the love."
- Søren Kierkegaard

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Sreba]
    #4247578 - 06/02/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well it depends how much soup per day, if it was like 10 gallons then surely that'd be enough to keep them alive but if it was like just 1 spoonful a day then i dunno.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: If you ate nothing but vegetable soup everyday, what would happen? [Re: Sreba]
    #4247638 - 06/02/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Abers said:
Quote:

Hambo said:

Perhaps it may be like Plato's cave story... after years of being fed the same shit he/she goes into the real world and discovers that theres alot more to life and many new sensations to experience (like the psychedelic experience is compared to normal life).

Exactly. I am establishing a strong "before" story before I let the characters journey.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds