Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4181895 - 05/16/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you need slaves if you wanna build pyramids.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: Doom]
    #4181997 - 05/16/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Not necessarily, but pretty much. :grin:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: trendal]
    #4182160 - 05/16/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Well then, this begs the question: can you hold people accountible for their actions under orders?

This question holds the answer to another: why would people want to obey orders to do things they believe to be wrong?

Carl Jung's theory of the "shadow" holds that humans reject qualities in themselves which are judged to be wrong, and deny that they possess such evil traits. This denial persists to the extent that we actually forget that we have anything to deny! Because most humans cast a very long shadow, a heavy bag we drag behind us, we jump at the opportunity to relieve ourselves of the burden by projecting it onto others.
The experiment conducted by Milgram allowed participants to act out the unacceptable desire to cause harm to others, free of social censure. Just as the Nazi soldiers used "following orders" to excuse their monstrous behavior, the students knew they could deny personal responsibility. After all, Hitler was the truly evil one, wasn't he? Those who carried out his orders were mere puppets.
IMO the relief experienced by those 50% who continued to follow orders was stronger than the dictates of their conscience because the weight of their shadow had become unbearable.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#4185414 - 05/17/05 03:58 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

As far as I know, not one of the participants - not even one - would quit below 300 volts. As the voltage grows higher, the "learner" stops yelling, and the "teacher" continues to apply electrical shocks to a mute subject.

There was a follow-up experiment where the "teacher" had to actually force the hand of the "learner" onto some kind of metal plate in order to apply the electrical shock. Under these conditions, one-third of the "teachers" still applied a maximum voltage.

The experiment showed similar results within different cultures. One may suppose that this also applies to subcultures. In other words: Among the 194 people who have read this thread, there are more than 97 people who would become murderers of innocent people under the right circumstances.

I am the twenty-third person who replies to this thread; at least twelve of us would apply a full 450 volt charge.

It is obvious that every singly participant in such an experiment, when questioned beforehand, would violently deny that he is able to kill a human being.

"I observed a mature and initially poised businessman enter the laboratory smiling and confident. Within 20 minutes he was reduced to a twitching, stuttering wreck, who was rapidly approaching nervous collapse. He constantly pulled on his ear lobe, and twisted his hands. At one point he pushed his fist into his forehead and muttered 'Oh God, lets stop it'. And yet he continued to respond to every word of the experimenter, and obeyed to the end."

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: Nomad]
    #4185433 - 05/17/05 04:25 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think this experiment has quite interesting insights into the nature of free will, we all feel that we have free will and that our beliefs are our own and our actions are our own. People who say they have voices commanding them to do stuff are considered to be mad, but in a way the 50% can be seen as being mad, their free will is very easily compromised by authority and they follow the crowd. A similar experiment was done some time ago, the test subject was in a room with other 'test subjects' who were actually part of the experiment, the group was shown a number of lines of varying length, and they had to point out the longest line, the actors deliberately all chose a line of medium length, and the test subject chose the line of medium length as well in most cases. It is astounding how subtle social pressure can be so powerful as to force people to deny what they see before them with their own eyes. It is no wonder then that an entire society such as Germany in the 30's can be hijacked by a madman and be bent to his will. It is a really depressing thought, the people who supported the nazis werent doing so because they were 'bad', but because they were vulnerable to authority.

There are also implications on the nature of democracy, democracy sees us voters as independent, rational citizens who make rational choices as to how the country should be goverened. Yet this experiment clearly shows that we are not 100% independent, rational citizens, most of us vote in accordance to how our social groups vote. I am a student, and so I face subtle pressure all the time to conform to the left-wing ideology, it is a given fact that Bush is a Nazi, the Iraq war is the Vietnam war, it is about imperialist America bullying those who cannot defend themselves, I like to play devils advocate and challenge these preconceptions by arguing in a calm and rational manner, and I find that actually most students who claim to be so ardently political do not actually know the first thing about the middle east, America, and history in general, they are doing it to follow the crowd, to appear to be 'rebellious' when in fact they are as conformist as conformist can be. I am not saying that all the left wing students are mindless conformists, many ground their beliefs in rationality and reason, but the majority do not have a clue of what they are going on about, they parrot Micheal Moore, George Galloway like mindless drones. Social pressure is absolutely necessary for society to function, we cannot all be pure individuals, yet it is a somewhat scary thought that in 1930's Germany it was exactly these people who swallowed all of Hitlers crap.

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

Edited by The_Walrus (05/17/05 04:37 AM)

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4185442 - 05/17/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Well cheers for those 50% then  :thumbup:

I mean those who didn't obey

{Edited by OldWoodSpecter (05/15/05 01:20 PM) }

For some reason, seeing that "edited by" and knowing what you added there..  I had to laugh  :laugh:  awesome hehe

Anyhow..
the study wasn't, and doesn't, peer into how sadist people are, or how many people are sadistic.

It's all about how many people will follow orders, even in the face of causing great harm to another.

Quite alarming nonetheless -- I've heard and read about it before.  I guess there's only about half as much 'free will' floating around as we really need, eh?  Pretty easy to say and believe that we'd all be one of the ones who walk out, but it's a whole different game once you're actually in that kind of a situation.
Best thing to do is not just think that you'd be one of the ones who walked out..  but to make sure, always, that you actually DO walk out.  Constant vigilance is price of freedom, not just for societies, but for ourselves as well.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: The_Walrus]
    #4185496 - 05/17/05 06:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think this experiment has quite interesting insights into the nature of free will, we all feel that we have free will and that our beliefs are our own and our actions are our own. People who say they have voices commanding them to do stuff are considered to be mad, but in a way the 50% can be seen as being mad, their free will is very easily compromised by authority and they follow the crowd.

I agree, there are some very strong implications regarding the nature of free will, and particularly the effect of conditioning. A frog, when put into boiling water, will immediately jump out; yet when he is put into cool water, which is then slowly heated, he will die. If I remember it correctly, the lowest voltage was applied to the "teacher" before the experiment - nothing more than a mildly prickling sensation. There is no ethical argument whatsoever why one would not apply such a low electric charge to the "learner". Thus, one gets sucked into the experiment. No one would immediately apply a 450 volts electric shock, but if one has already administered the 435 volts, one may as well proceed one step further. The same principle must have been at work in Nazi Germany: First you join the party, then you attend antisemitic gatherings, then you spit into the face of a jew in the street, then you join the military, then you kill enemy soldiers, then you kill enemy civilians, then you become a concentration camp guard, then you become a mass murderer. When, exactly, is the right moment to stop?

The ego is in itself a fascist mental structure. It is interested in nothing else but its own continuity, projecting itself from a past conditioning into the future. If there is such a thing as free will, it must mean the ability to refuse the application of 450 volts after having already applied 435 volts. That requires an intuitive leap which transcends the continuity of one's ego structure.

I guess that is the most difficult thing to do in the entire universe. No animal has that ability. It requires a precious and rare quality inherent in the mind of human beings, called wisdom.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4185502 - 05/17/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

As far as I know, not one of the participants - not even one - would quit below 300 volts.

Watch the video. At least one did stop below 200 volts.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
    #4185531 - 05/17/05 06:54 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nomad said:

I agree, there are some very strong implications regarding the nature of free will, and particularly the effect of conditioning. A frog, when put into boiling water, will immediately jump out; yet when he is put into cool water, which is then slowly heated, he will die. If I remember it correctly, the lowest voltage was applied to the "teacher" before the experiment - nothing more than a mildly prickling sensation. There is no ethical argument whatsoever why one would not apply such a low electric charge to the "learner". Thus, one gets sucked into the experiment. No one would immediately apply a 450 volts electric shock, but if one has already administered the 435 volts, one may as well proceed one step further.

True that, true that, you hit the nail on the head with that, when you take the first step you are embarking on a slippery slope out of which it is extremely hard to climb back out. It is a gradual conditioning process. The same with propaganda, if you expose people to it for long enough periods you can get them to believe anything. The most horrific examples of where this is used is in personality cults of totalitarian leaders, such as Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, where the entire population is forced to elevate the status of the leader to beyond godlike, this is a gradual process like with the frog example, but it is a very dangerous thing. As human beings we are innately social creatures, and to have social cohesion you need some form of conformity, it is the ability of people to work in groups while still retaining some form of individualism that I think has got the human race from a position as being the cripples of nature (we cannot defend ourselves naturally, we cannot attack naturally, our digestive systems are useless, walking on two legs makes us very slow and clumsy, we shouldn't exist basically) to being in a position where we can easily wipe out nature on earth many times over. Conformity is a double-edged sword, it is what has got humanity to where it is today, yet on the flip side it can be used by greedy, egotistical, power-hungry individuals to manipulate people to carry out their sick will, who allow humanity to commit atrocities which disgrace nature itself, with technology it is becoming easier and easier for these kinds of people to get what they lust for, complete power and control. It is now becoming essential that we know when we are being manipulated and for what purpose, while still retaining social cohesion. The two things are completely contradictory and probably cannot co-exist, I see myself as being a very idealistic/naive person, I truly take the statemen 'all men (and women) are born equal and free' very literally, so I hate to say this, but I have come to the conclusion that the world is composed of a minority of leaders controlling huge masses of followers, democracy dilutes the power of these leaders somewhat and makes them somewhat accountable for their actions, but they are still the ones in control, rather than the people. It is essential that there is a mechanism by which only leaders who have good, alturistic intentions get to power, again democracy seems to be the most effective way of trying to do this, but democracy is far from perfect, due to the innate sheep-like nature of people which makes them easy to manipulate. I am not sure where this will end, with the advanced technology available today a totalitarian 1984 style situation is entirely feasable, North Korea is very close to this dystopia, any expression of individuality is spotted and immedietaly, brutally supressed, it is now illegal for men to have long hair, for example, you will be sent to a concentration camp for violating such a stupid law. God knows where it will end.

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

Edited by The_Walrus (05/17/05 06:59 AM)

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#4185629 - 05/17/05 08:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Watch the video. At least one did stop below 200 volts.

Can't download it due to low bandwidth, but thanks for the correction.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: Veritas]
    #4185641 - 05/17/05 08:04 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Quote:

trendal said:
Well then, this begs the question: can you hold people accountible for their actions under orders?

This question holds the answer to another: why would people want to obey orders to do things they believe to be wrong?

Carl Jung's theory of the "shadow" holds that humans reject qualities in themselves which are judged to be wrong, and deny that they possess such evil traits.  This denial persists to the extent that we actually forget that we have anything to deny!  Because most humans cast a very long shadow, a heavy bag we drag behind us, we jump at the opportunity to relieve ourselves of the burden by projecting it onto others. 
The experiment conducted by Milgram allowed participants to act out the unacceptable desire to cause harm to others, free of social censure.  Just as the Nazi soldiers used "following orders" to excuse their monstrous behavior, the students knew they could deny personal responsibility.  After all, Hitler was the truly evil one, wasn't he? Those who carried out his orders were mere puppets.
IMO the relief experienced by those 50% who continued to follow orders was stronger than the dictates of their conscience because the weight of their shadow had become unbearable.

I agree. Very insightful. I think you nailed it. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: The_Walrus]
    #4186037 - 05/17/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Warning: blob ahead..

Quote:

True that, true that, you hit the nail on the head with that, when you take the first step you are embarking on a slippery slope out of which it is extremely hard to climb back out. It is a gradual conditioning process. The same with propaganda, if you expose people to it for long enough periods you can get them to believe anything. The most horrific examples of where this is used is in personality cults of totalitarian leaders, such as Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, where the entire population is forced to elevate the status of the leader to beyond godlike, this is a gradual process like with the frog example, but it is a very dangerous thing. As human beings we are innately social creatures, and to have social cohesion you need some form of conformity, it is the ability of people to work in groups while still retaining some form of individualism that I think has got the human race from a position as being the cripples of nature (we cannot defend ourselves naturally, we cannot attack naturally, our digestive systems are useless, walking on two legs makes us very slow and clumsy, we shouldn't exist basically) to being in a position where we can easily wipe out nature on earth many times over. Conformity is a double-edged sword, it is what has got humanity to where it is today, yet on the flip side it can be used by greedy, egotistical, power-hungry individuals to manipulate people to carry out their sick will, who allow humanity to commit atrocities which disgrace nature itself, with technology it is becoming easier and easier for these kinds of people to get what they lust for, complete power and control. It is now becoming essential that we know when we are being manipulated and for what purpose, while still retaining social cohesion. The two things are completely contradictory and probably cannot co-exist, I see myself as being a very idealistic/naive person, I truly take the statemen 'all men (and women) are born equal and free' very literally, so I hate to say this, but I have come to the conclusion that the world is composed of a minority of leaders controlling huge masses of followers, democracy dilutes the power of these leaders somewhat and makes them somewhat accountable for their actions, but they are still the ones in control, rather than the people. It is essential that there is a mechanism by which only leaders who have good, alturistic intentions get to power, again democracy seems to be the most effective way of trying to do this, but democracy is far from perfect, due to the innate sheep-like nature of people which makes them easy to manipulate. I am not sure where this will end, with the advanced technology available today a totalitarian 1984 style situation is entirely feasable, North Korea is very close to this dystopia, any expression of individuality is spotted and immedietaly, brutally supressed, it is now illegal for men to have long hair, for example, you will be sent to a concentration camp for violating such a stupid law. God knows where it will end.

Paragraphs, my friend.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: Jellric]
    #4186801 - 05/17/05 01:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

But correct nonetheless. Truth is the primary criterion, formatting issues are secondary.

Edited by Nomad (05/17/05 02:23 PM)

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4190757 - 05/18/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, but if no one bothers to read it what difference does it make how true it is?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlineska8ball
anaxagoras
Re: Obedience - Stanley Milgram's Experiment [Re: Jellric]
    #4243254 - 06/01/05 07:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

READ SARTRE'S ESSAYS ON EXISTENTIALISM AND HUMANISM
VERY RELEVANT

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom