Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Migraine sufferer finds relief from marijuana
    #4243007 - 06/01/05 04:28 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Migraine sufferer finds relief from marijuana
June 1, 2005 - sgvtribune.com

Medical marijuana relieves her symptoms without dangerous side effects

Not a week goes by that Julie Garcia doesn't get a migraine.

It's not the type of headache you can take two aspirin for, or draw a hot bath and wait it out.

It's a splitting, unrelenting pain that lasts hours and renders her unproductive for an entire day.

"It's just pounding and pounding ... It's awful. It's really awful,' said Garcia, 36, who's been getting the migraines since she was a teen.

Garcia, who lives in Santa Fe Springs, used to take drugs such as ibuprofen and codeine to treat the pain, but worried about the cumulative effect a lifetime of using the drugs would have on her liver.

Then, last September, a doctor recommended that she use marijuana.

"It does wonders for the migraines,' she said. "It relaxes your head, and the muscles in your head.'

The drug doesn't have the side effects the prescription medications had, said Garcia, who also smokes to relieve the pain from back and neck injuries from several car accidents years ago. The former manicurist is now on permanent disability.

Her case isn't unusual, said Dr. Philip Denney, a family practitioner based in Orange County who now specializes in medical marijuana.

Denney said he recommends marijuana for many of his patients who suffer from migraines.

"Cannabis is one of the best medicines for migraines,' he said. "It's so effective - it works rapidly, and it has limited toxicity,' although lung damage from smoking is a concern, he added.

Marijuana can effectively stop a migraine from happening if used at the first onset of a headache, Denney said.

What's more, it takes "relatively small amounts,' to treat some pains, he said. "People don't have to get high. You don't have to be impaired,' he said.

Meanwhile, Garcia makes the three- or four-hour trip, with traffic, to West Hollywood, where at least seven marijuana "collectives' or clubs dispense the drug.

A dispensary a little closer - like in Hacienda Heights - would be a godsend, she said.

She also dreams of a day when the medication will be covered by her insurance - she spends hundreds of dollars a month on the drugs, she said.

But for now, Garcia wishes people would stop demonizing the drug and people who use it.

"Drinking is far more dangerous (than smoking marijuana),' she said. "I don't understand. It gets me so mad - that something so lethal of a killer (is legal) ... and something that can save lives isn't.'

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Migraine sufferer finds relief from marijuana [Re: veggie]
    #4243132 - 06/01/05 06:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Anytime that I have smoked with a headache, the headache has only gotten worse... not once has it gotten better. Smoking has helped me out with other types of pain, but not headaches.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Migraine sufferer finds relief from marijuana [Re: Seuss]
    #4243803 - 06/01/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I've actually gotten some serious headaches after toking up in the past. I haven't ever smoked with a headache already there though.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
Re: Migraine sufferer finds relief from marijuana [Re: SuperD]
    #4244786 - 06/01/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

my mom gets vicous migranes maybe i will email her this article. haha that would hilarous if she tells me they are buying a house in vermont so she can qualify for their medicinal program. i would love that.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service