Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsyhigh
Lost
STORAGE of SHROOMS
    #4241374 - 05/31/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hello there, thanks for your time,
I am researching the best methods to keep and consume mushrooms (Mexican Cubensis, a personal favourite)- a few questions have come to mind which I have only found contradicting answers to from different sources.

Firstly, after drying out the mushrooms, what would be the best way to store them now? I have heard that they last about half a year before they begin to lose their psychoactive effects, when stored in a dark room temp etc place. From another source I read once dried they lose their chemical activity rapidly (on what scale of time he means by 'rapidly' I'm unsure) - and that once dried, they should be kept in a freezer to prolong the chemical structure of the psilocin/psilocybin in the mushrooms. Any idea what is best when dried - freezer or just a dark cupboard?

Secondly, I have read that the chemicals but mainly the psilocin are rapidly broken down in hot temperatures (that its best to keep below 40 deg C if preparing) - but so often I hear of people boiling/simmering up magic mushrooms to make mushroom tea's... surely this will lose some of the potency of the mushrooms - can someone confirm this? I have read that the active chemicals readily dissolve into water (without heat) and therefore I think a better preparation would be a mushroom 'drink' or 'smoothie' but not a tea... any idea if a mushroom tea is an inefficient way to use the mushrooms?

Thanks again
-Tim C

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: STORAGE of SHROOMS [Re: Psyhigh]
    #4241459 - 05/31/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlineryanvergel
qdbpqdbp
Male

Re: STORAGE of SHROOMS [Re: gdman]
    #4241667 - 05/31/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

1. Keeping them out of the reach of oxygen is ideal. The freezer is probably the best place for dried shrooms, make sure they're in an airtight container too.

2. With p. cubensis, there isn't much psilocin in the mushrooms in comparison to others, it's mostly psilocybin, so not too much is lost in the tea-making process.
Psilocybin is water soluble, so yes, making a smoothie is very good with mushrooms, but tea is the easiest because it's easy to make it with wet shrooms, and is cheap/quick/cost effective.

--------------------
So it goes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience