Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinespasmodic_cheese
Stranger
Cultivating from Sclerotia?...
    #4238895 - 05/31/05 05:21 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello!
I managed to get some "Philosophers Stones" from a local market place.. it said "not for consumtpion, place in damp sand"(id say this is a disclaimer) I had no idea what they were at the time... I brouoght them home and did some research... i found out they were truffless... then sclerotia.

Im not sure which strain it is... im guessing mexicana

So I have made a whole natural rice and water jar, sterilised it.(as per instructions i found on this site)
and i couldnt find whether i could inoculate the jars, just by putting the stones in there. but I did anyway...
I'll see how they go. I figured that they will draw in moisture and start cultivating but I thought I'd post just incase ive done something wrong.

I have two jars one with ones that i had planted in my garden(which i dug up as soon as i found out what the ywere) and a bigger quart jar with clean ones in.

If anyone has any tips or if i have been using the wrong terms (im a n00b in you havent noticed) I would greatly appreciate them!

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cultivating from Sclerotia?... [Re: spasmodic_cheese]
    #4238922 - 05/31/05 05:42 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You have to sterilize them before putting them in, just handling them they will be contaminated. I am not certain it will spread either. You are best cutting them open and transferring some of the centre to a liquid culture (being sterile all the way) and injecting the LC into your jars. You can dip the sclerotia flesh in h2o2 to clean it

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Cultivating from Sclerotia?... [Re: blackout]
    #4238924 - 05/31/05 05:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Eating sclerotia is pretty fun.. I had the rare oppurtunity (rare for an American) to eat some Philosopher's Stones in Amsterdam once.. 40g wet was the chillest trip I ever had.. Which was good considering I tripped on a train-ride to belgium.. :smile:

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinespasmodic_cheese
Stranger
    #4239153 - 05/31/05 09:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ahh cool! ...unfortuantly I will have to dig them out and re sterilize everything :S

h2o2 = hydrogen peroxide?
Should I cut them open before sterilization? (this would kill the fungus?)

Thanks for the timely reply!

Edited by spasmodic_cheese (05/31/05 09:32 AM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4239226 - 05/31/05 10:17 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yes, h2o2 is h peroxide. Your jars will need to be resterilized. You are not heat sterilizing the sclerotia, only dipping it in h2o2 which will kill and contaminants on its surface. Sclerotia is basically dense mycelium which is not killed by h2o2 (spores are).
I cloned some in the open air. I sprayed the room with a air disinfectant like lysol. Then I heated a razor blade and wiped it with alcohol. I then sliced a stone in half and picked out some flesh with the razor tip and quickly put it into a jar of honey water. It was exposed to air for maybe 2 seconds. You have to move quickly if you have no flowhoods etc. I didnt use h2o2 as I had none. Clone worked well for me.

You may well just be able to dip a stone in h2o2 and put it in some liquid innoculant. I never tried it

--------------------

Edited by blackout (05/31/05 10:19 AM)

Offlinespasmodic_cheese
Stranger
    #4250332 - 06/02/05 11:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all the help!
Okay so I have made a liquid culture from one of my jars... the only thing close to hydrogen peroxide i could obtain was some 9% hydrogen prexoide hair stuff..
I ended up dipping all i had left in there, slicing them, then rinsing in abit of sterlized water and throwing them all into my liquid honey jar. I will report how this goes..

I left one jar with the whole natural rice and the stones in there... and now there is getting quite a nice pile of white fuzz around them! So im guessing its working!

Im hoping contamination isnt white? :P (and is it too early to detect, it has been just under a week)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4251220 - 06/03/05 04:20 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

White is good, as long as it is not a greyish white. You may have got lucky and had no contams if you moved quickly. It is also good to know that a stone works without the need to slice it up. The LC is still a better option since rice is pretty much unshakeable in a jar, with the LC you can inject a good amount into the jar, I make my grains a little dry so they suck up the LC, then inject a good 50cc and you get a nice even colonisation.
9% peroxide is plenty strong, most I see is only 3 or 6%

--------------------

Edited by blackout (06/03/05 04:24 AM)

Offlinemasta_of_disasta
Stranger
    #5268381 - 02/06/06 03:56 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Got hooked on this magical substance on the weekend, took a while to discover the true substance. im interested to hear any updated reports on how your growing attempt went.

peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation