Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
I feel satisfied to die after a workout
    #4236315 - 05/30/05 12:52 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I never feel more ready to accept death as I do after I wind down from a workout.

I guess 'death' occupies a lot of my thoughts, and while I like to pretend I have acceptance, most of the time I feel pretty uneasy about it.

But after exercising, I feel nothing towards it. Like, "Okay, it's coming, and I'm ready for when it arrives."

I just feel the most satisfied to die after a workout. Not that I WANT to die or anything. Just that I always feel so 'open' and receptive to the idea of death after I work out.

Anyone else know what I mean? I've been marveling recently at not only the health benefits of exercising, but the mental benefits I seem to get from it as well. During the workout I feel as though I am dying, every limb aches and feels like it is pulsating with pain as I push and push to finish. Then when I'm done, panting and soaked with sweat, my brain is numb, as though I've just injected it with some sort of paralyzing neurotoxin. And then, afterwards...comes the peace. And the realization that death is nothing to worry about.

Exercising sort of reminds me of shrooming in this way.

If I do not exercise, I become lethargic, self-pitying, moody and emotionally destructive. The doctors have all given this state of mind I get into multiple names and multiple drugs to help treat it.

But nothing at all has helped my state of mind like exercising. (Except perhaps tripping and pot, but in different ways) When I am on a steady work out routine, I feel like a totally different person. Content with my life and confident, rather fearless.

Sort of makes me wonder what would happen to the psychiatric drug industry if people weren't so averse to working out. I've come to realize that people who put in the time and effort to exercise every day are in the minority, at least where I live. (Texas)

Anyway, no point to this post, just wanted to ramble about the spiritual/psychological benefits of exercise for a bit.

It's definitely done the trick for me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenewjon
Stranger
Re: I feel satisfied to die after a workout [Re: MOTH]
    #4236924 - 05/30/05 04:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i also find working out to be relaxing, to a degree. Obviously, i'm not doing serious training, which might make me think differently. But a semi-regular workout just to stay in shape, makes you feel...satisfied when you're done. Tired, warm, sweaty, but satisfied nonetheless.
I suppose it's that thing about simple manual labour - basically, it focuses the body and relaxes the mind

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: I feel satisfied to die after a workout [Re: newjon]
    #4237027 - 05/30/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I agree. I dont do anything serious, actually i hardly work out, but after i do, 99% of the time i feel really really good. Kinda hot and sweaty though, but it helps me out alot mentally. I totally know how you feel. I think it may have to do with the chemicals released when working out, or just knowing that you are doing something healthy.

I think i might actually go work out now.

And then die. lol.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4237033 - 05/30/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I remember the time when death was always on my mind.

I'd even feel uneasy about driving next to a cemetery. I thought everyone else felt the same way.

But now, i think i've come face to face with death sorta say, i examined all the aspects of it,  and its a really hard thing to admit to yourself that you're going to die one day. But there's a period in one's life where the notion of death is overwhelming, and you either think about it in your head, or you try to forget about it because it doesn't feel good thinking about it.

I think this is a psychological phase in life that everyone goes through. But then everyone makes different choices.

I also remember a time when i was high as fuck, and i totally submitted myself to death. I was like "if i'm going to die now, i'm  okay with it". I let myself die to myself.

so i know what you're talking about :wink:

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4237052 - 05/30/05 04:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Endorphins reduce the sensation of pain and affect emotions.

After a workout, you are Endorphins, just like you are your fingers...

:smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4237545 - 05/30/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"I guess 'death' occupies a lot of my thoughts, and while I like to pretend I have acceptance, most of the time I feel pretty uneasy about it."

Who cares about death? Everyone will die and I doubt you are special in this regard. We were all born with a terminal condition...life!!! Have fun and accomplish meaningful stuff as long as you can. Be good to your body and try to live as long as you can, but when your time is up just smile and thank God, or whoever you feel runs this show, for letting you taste life at all. Worrying about death does nothing to stave it off...so worrying is pointless. This is what I learned on my 40th birthday when I had my first (yeah, I know....really sissy) existential crisis.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: I feel satisfied to die after a workout [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4237624 - 05/30/05 08:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Worrying about death does nothing to stave it off...so worrying is pointless.

That's true and I think it's finally starting to sink in. I tend to worry about a lot of stuff that doesn't matter and by doing this I create unnecessary stress for myself.

But recently (since I've hit the treadmill hard this past month) I haven't felt the urge to worry that much anymore. It's like the more confidence I get in myself through working out the more pointless worrying about stupid stuff seems.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: I feel satisfied to die after a workout [Re: exclusive58]
    #4237635 - 05/30/05 08:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I hear ya. I've also learned to accept death.

Most of people see everything regarding death as something dark and sick that should never be talked about.

I remember when I was little, one time I was playing with my blox and I made a big flat surface and a cross on top of it, and I said to my mom and dad: look I've made a grave for an elephant
And they said in shock: don't do that, built nice things don't build such things.

Then one time, I drew a burned corpse and asked my parents:
does a man look like this when lighting strikes him?

Again, shock: yes it does, but don't draw stuff like that

so I grew in this death-taboo atmosphere, and it shaped me into feeling uncofortable, sick even about anything that had to do with death. I used to feel dirty when comming back from graveyards because I've been walking over the dirt in which people are burried

etc etc

But then as time passed, I began to free myself from this prison I was in.

It mostly began after I started to walk on railroads (as I've mentioned) and on railroads there are a lot of dead animals, cats, dogs, all killed by passing trains

At first it was a shock when I saw a rotting body of a dog, and the image haunted me for days. Later on, It became more natural for me to see these grotesque images of fur and bone, and the smell is nothing sick and haunting anymore, just like any other stench.

The images of death are frightening to us humans only because of tradition of passing that fear on new generations. A dead body of anything is as natural as a leaf that has fallen on the ground.

It all helps better to accept my own death, and the way things are in nature.

Of course, some who are still trapped, might read these words of mine, and say that I too am a sick person and need some help.
Well, what kind of help would it be if it made me feel disguisted and feared of death again? That would be a paradox.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #4238031 - 05/30/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i find it useful to think of the rhythm of life in terms of TENSION - CHARGE - DISCHARGE - RELAX, especially when experiencing mood swings from brooding to hysteria - being a tension type without being able to build a charge, or being in a discharge modality without being able to relax.  Excercize can definately unwind  hang ups in the cycle, breaking a sweat in a frenzied run, losing your breath, panting and the rush of endorphins and like magic you're "resting in peace" for the evening... other times exhausted from work and waiting for the bus i autopilot walk home twice as fast as i reasonably can, my feet are killing me, and i feel like a poor beast who needs a shot to be put out of his misery...  i know i'm stuck in the process, but i don't care, i just want to conk out.  thankfully, i'm getting older and becoming a little more mindful :wink:

blessings

CJ

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology