Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait?
    #4230898 - 05/28/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have four strains growing in BRF jars. One Puerto Rican jar is completely colonized. The other PR jars are only partially colonized, some just half way, although all were inoculated at the same time. I also have EQ and Amazon nearly fully colonized in a couple of jars and only partially so in others. My question is the following: Should I wait until all jars are fully colonized before spawing into H poo, or should I spawn all of the jars, cutting out the uncolonized parts of the partially conlonized jars? Another option, of course, would be to spawn each jar as it become fully colonized, but following Roadkill's advice that more spawn means faster colonization, it seems that combining jars might be better. Thank you for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait? [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4230960 - 05/28/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Wait for full colonization.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait? [Re: dog]
    #4231856 - 05/28/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you spawn those jars because you are inpatient then you will be waiting another month or so for some shrooms. Don't do it, or better yet, DO IT!!! Learn for yourself

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait? [Re: tahoe]
    #4231873 - 05/28/05 10:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
if you spawn those jars because you are inpatient then you will be waiting another month or so for some shrooms. Don't do it, or better yet, DO IT!!! Learn for yourself

so dude if he spawns poo with a jar that is 100% colinized on the surface it will not take and if it does it will take awhile?i got the impression that when the outside is done you can spawn,i also shake my jars when there 100% to listen for any seed to rattle!!!!!just wondering

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Re: Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait? [Re: tahoe]
    #4232083 - 05/28/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:

My concern is less about impatience and more about letting completely colonized jars wait until the slower ones catch up. I understand from reading some prior posts that there may be no harm in keeping colonized jars for some time without birthing them. I'm not so clear on just how long it is ok to keep them in the incubator. How long is too long? Also, if I had simply wanted to learn for myself, I wouldn't have bothered to ask for expert opinions. I'm a first-time grower, and I greatly value the opinions of those with successful experience. My humble salutations to all of you who have helped bring the mushroom god into manifestation in his various forms.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4232114 - 05/29/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Fully colonized jars will keep for quite some time, provided they are sealed to prevent drying. After colonization remove them from the incubator, seal them and put them some place cool. The fridge works fine.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4232240 - 05/29/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Im sure you've done your fair share of readin, but just incase you
didnt see it, Its not good to mix different strains in the same sub.
The myc. wont work together. You'll get fruits, but they will compete.

Jus my lil bit of advice.

G.L. BRO.

ps. Ignore this if you already knew...

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Re: Should I spawn partially colonized jars or wait? [Re: dog]
    #4233575 - 05/29/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dog said:
Fully colonized jars will keep for quite some time, provided they are sealed to prevent drying. After colonization remove them from the incubator, seal them and put them some place cool. The fridge works fine.

My understanding is that refrigerating growing mycelia will halt growth and initiate fruiting (along with added light and air exchange). Because I want to use the BRF jars for spawn in h poo, I'll want them to continue in a vegetative state until they have fully colonized the poo. Will they return to a vegetative state after being kept in the fridge if they are brought back up to incubation temps?

Offlineyumyum
Stranger
    #4233998 - 05/29/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i used to put put mine in tupperware with small amounts of water in it that is mixed with some 3% H2O2. I would put the lid on it and put it back into the incubator. this fixed any possibility that it could be lack of moisture or air flow. then i decided to start spawning straw, in which case; i just blended the cakes and spawned it without waiting for full colonization.
sometimes slow colonization has to do with how compact the substrate in the jars are, and how long you PC'ed the stuff. if you PC'ed too long the center of the cakes get really compacted and the myc has a tough time colonizing it.
give it an extra week to 10 days, if you don't see any improvement, and you plan on spawning other substrate with them. do it. just wash them with a 1 part H2O2 to 9 parts distilled water solution, before breaking them up onto the substrate. it will reduce the chances of contamination.

just figure it would be worth mention, that sometimes when cakes have problem colonizing, it is because of wild yeast contamination. a good H2O2 wash seems to do a lot of good if this is the problem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate