Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Congressman riled by Maher's military remark
    #4233318 - 05/29/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This story is about a week old, but I just found out about it.  My man Bill Maher has done pissed off a Congressman.  :cool:

USA Today

Quote:

Congressman riled by Maher's military remark
WASHINGTON (AP) ? A congressman says comedian Bill Maher's comment that the U.S. military has already recruited all the "low-lying fruit" is possibly treasonous and at least grounds to cancel the show.

Comments about the U.S. military by comedian Bill Maher has caused a stir in Washington. 
By Rene Macura, AP

Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., takes issue with remarks on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, first aired May 13, in which Maher points out the Army missed its recruiting goal by 42% in April.

"More people joined the Michael Jackson fan club," Maher said. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies."

Army Reserve Pfc. England was accused of abusing prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"I think it borders on treason," Bachus said. "In treason, one definition is to undermine the effort or national security of our country."

In a statement released Monday night, Maher defended his support for the American armed forces.

"Anyone who knows anything about my views and has watched my show knows that I have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women serving this country around the world," Maher said in the statement.

Bachus said he was appalled after watching a rerun of the show shortly after returning from a visit to Germany, in which he met with a paralyzed American soldier in the hospital. He has since written to Time Warner, HBO's parent company.

"I don't want (Maher) prosecuted," Bachus said. "I want him off the air."

Numerous television stations pulled Maher's previous show, Politically Incorrect, from the air in September 2001 after he argued terrorists weren't cowards when they slammed airplanes into the World Trade Center a week earlier. Maher later apologized.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Learyfan]
    #4233333 - 05/29/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I predict an upcoming rise in Bill Maher's ratings.  Well done, Mr. Bachus.  :handth:

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4233334 - 05/29/05 02:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I don't get what he said at all, i've read it 29 times already and I still don't get it. Can someone please spell out what his phrase means?

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: looner2]
    #4233411 - 05/29/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
I don't get what he said at all, i've read it 29 times already and I still don't get it. Can someone please spell out what his phrase means?

Actually, I don't get it either.  :smile:  But I'm glad it pissed off this right wing lunatic.  The quote really makes no sense, though. 

Paradigm:  Bill Maher doesn't come back on the air until August, I believe.  Although, his HBO special comes on in July.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: looner2]
    #4233425 - 05/29/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I think he means that the military has already taken in the most easily deceived servile people and is now having trouble finding any more gullible people to join, as shown by them missing their mark by quite a bit.

Alabama is probably the worst state in the entire U.S.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4233461 - 05/29/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard a similar remark made by Neo-con Steve Savage on his radio show concerning those who openly protest the Iraq war. God forbid some would exercise their freedom of speech...... :rolleyes:

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4233513 - 05/29/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

If you look throughout history, presidents have taken away our freedom of speech many times during war, and even not during it. John Adams was the first with the Alien and Seditions Acts to shut down any who spoke against him, Abraham Lincoln imprisoned any Yankees who disagreed with the Civil War and shut down any newspapers that spoke against it, and so on...

Because of this, I respect Bush more than I do Abe Lincoln or the others who took away freedom of speech. At least he allows people to speak against him.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Ravus]
    #4233636 - 05/29/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
If you look throughout history, presidents have taken away our freedom of speech many times during war, and even not during it. John Adams was the first with the Alien and Seditions Acts to shut down any who spoke against him, Abraham Lincoln imprisoned any Yankees who disagreed with the Civil War and shut down any newspapers that spoke against it, and so on...

Because of this, I respect Bush more than I do Abe Lincoln or the others who took away freedom of speech. At least he allows people to speak against him.

The only reason Bush doesn't curtail freedom of speech now is that he can't get away with blatantly doing that these days. I mean, you might as well say you respect Bush for not enslaving black people like every President before Lincoln.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (05/29/05 04:22 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4233667 - 05/29/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

If they ever start arresting people for treason for being smartasses, then it's time to start setting things on fire.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4233691 - 05/29/05 04:45 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Fire! Fire! FFFffffffffffffiiiiiiirrreee!!!!!

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4235924 - 05/30/05 08:48 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ToiletDuk writes:

Quote:

God forbid some would exercise their freedom of speech...

In this case, someone was exercising his freedom of speech... the congressman. He said in public that Maher's comments disgusted him (thereby exercising his freedom of speech), then he wrote a letter to Maher's employers urging them to yank his show (thereby exercising more freedom of speech).

Phred

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Congressman riled by Maher's military remark [Re: Phred]
    #4235939 - 05/30/05 09:13 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

"I think it borders on treason," Bachus said. "In treason, one definition is to undermine the effort or national security of our country."

In this case, someone was exercising his freedom of speech... the congressman.

Honestly good for him. But I if he ever crosses the line and chooses to attempt to implement government policy restricted a person's rights I will be the first to disagree.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#4236548 - 05/30/05 02:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
ToiletDuk writes:

Quote:

In this case, someone was exercising his freedom of speech... the congressman. He said in public that Maher's comments disgusted him (thereby exercising his freedom of speech), then he wrote a letter to Maher's employers urging them to yank his show (thereby exercising more freedom of speech).

Phred

No one is saying that the congressman shouldn't be able to say what he wants to say. The only person who is advocating taking away freedom of speech is the congressman.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4238281 - 05/31/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Quote:

looner2 said:

Actually, I don't get it either.  :smile:  But I'm glad it pissed off this right wing lunatic.  The quote really makes no sense, though. 

Paradigm:  Bill Maher doesn't come back on the air until August, I believe.  Although, his HBO special comes on in July.

Yeah, this wasn't a publicity stunt... just an off-hand comment.

Quote:

"More people joined the Michael Jackson fan club," Maher said. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies."

Lynndie England is the girl in the Abu Grahb prison photos. She was recently on trial, and Mahr was elluding to the fact that she has a severe learning disability... ie: dumb as a post. "Say cheese Lynndie!"

Mahr was saying the Army has run out of idiots to recruit... because it seems, the smart people stopped volunteering a long time ago.

Had Lynndie England NOT been in court that week, Mahr would have made a different joke. He was just making a joke, to be current and topical. Nobody I know thought he was dissing the US armed forces. CHRIST! Mahr now supports the war in Iraq (since we can't really back out). Bill was dissing our president. He was suggesting, "Only an idiot would go to Iraq, for the reasons we have been given."

If Mahr was talking about things that hadn't happened, I may have trouble with what he said... but he was refrencing two ACTUAL events, and making them into a JOKE! Which, last time I checked, was his job.

The people that complain the loudest about Mahr, obviously watch him the least.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4239764 - 05/31/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
ToiletDuk writes:

Quote:

No, the congressman didn't say that Maher's comments digusted him, he said "it borders on treason. In treason, one definition is to undermine the effort or national security of our country." There is a huge difference between a congressman saying something disgusts him and saying somthing is borderline treason. A congressman's disgust is meaningless, but treason is a life and death issue.

Personally, I don't see how poking fun at the Army's inability to recruit victims for the war on peace to be anywhere near close to undermining the national security of America... of course, with the new patriot act, when it comes to tossing people into jail, anything is possible.

Finally, look at these two people's respective occupations. A comedian, whom I would expect to make fun of the system and a congressman whom I would expect to uphold the values of the system. At least one of the two are doing their job.

In case anybody forgot:

Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

And in case anybody forgot (or didn't know):

Quote:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Corruption of Blood was part of ancient English penalty for treason. It was usually part of a Bill of Attainder, which normally sentenced the accused to death. The corruption of blood would forbid the accused's family from inhereting his property. Such bills and punishments were often inflicted upon Tories by colonial governments immediately following independence.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion