Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Finish Line
    #4231975 - 05/29/05 12:52 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

This came in my mail and I felt like sharing it here....... :heart:

Quote:

Finish Line

Some people understand life better, and they call some of these people "retarded"

At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is,
except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back. Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them. One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it
better." Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood, the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story...
Why?

Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this
life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" So, what ya
    gonna do?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Finish Line [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4232002 - 05/29/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

What matters in this life is helping others win,...

I will wager heavily that as quaint as the story is, you and yours come first. Are you more concerned with your kids or someone else's? Are you feeding starving third-world children first or stocking the fridge for your own genetic offspring? Whos kids will you put through college? Well, your children are an extension of you. What personal sacrifices are you making after having been so affected by this story? A momentary tear in the eye and tug on the heartstring means very little.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Finish Line [Re: Swami]
    #4232055 - 05/29/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Means little to you because, you've made it clear that you are about competition and winning.

What do I do????????????????? Raise my daughter in a non competitive environment.

Be it parties or group play dates, organized games are not about winners and losers. They are about group activities that require co-operation or just that everyone has fun.

Not only did that "quaint" story have meaning to ME, but I live within that meaning raising my daughter in this world everyday.

I teach her that if she ever feels the itch for a competitive challenge to compete with HER OWN last best, never anothers.

I teach her and her friends about co-operation and setting goals the whole group can benefit from, I teach her the way of the future, not the way of the past.

An afternoon just pooped into my head where about 5 kids were over playing. We set up and obstacle course and timed the kids. The goal wasn't about who could get the best time. The goal was for each child to compete against their last time.

The dynamic was amazing and they were cheering each other one and sharing in their big improvements and set backs together with relating and laughter. No one got discouraged, no one wanted to quit or got resentful towards another. They had fun and begged to play it that way day after day.

I realize we all live on the same planet swami and yet, we don't all live in the same world.

We don't take our material wins and titles with us when we die. We take whats in our hearts with us. You don't even believe in eternal life swami so I can't expect you to understand or appreciate anything I would have to say on this.

I am not the one who set up the highly competitive world of modern society. I do have to live in it and do what I can to share and create win wins wherever and whenever I can. I can also raise my daughter and any yougin I can to know and show and create a new way, a way of co-operation, and win wins for all involved.

This was posted for anyone who would appreciate it and find it meaningful and encouraging. Same reason you posted your reply, thinking someone would appreciate it or find it meaningful. :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
    #4232336 - 05/29/05 04:00 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well.....our society is a competitive environment.

This sounds like some kind of crap equivalent to hard core liberals who think that every child should just get an A for effort.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4232370 - 05/29/05 04:35 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Means little to you because, you've made it clear that you are about competition and winning.

Please explain how competition; the measuring of one's abilities against another, is a bad thing.

These discussions always seem to end before we can get to the solid ground, but let's try one more time. Please take this simple quiz.

1. The event you described took place at a competition. TRUE or FALSE

2. Your husband competed against other candidates (or businesses) to get his current desirable position. TRUE or FALSE

3. You and/or your husband got a college degree (assuming that is fact) by competing against other students for entry. TRUE or FALSE

4. When dating and courting you competed against other women for a desirable man and other men competed to win your hand. TRUE or FALSE

5. You exist because your ancestors kicked ass on opposing predators, tribes, countries and/or individuals. TRUE or FALSE

6. The sperm that fertilized your mom's egg and created you, out-swam millions of weaker sperm. TRUE or FALSE

The point is that all of life is a competition. To deny that because of some fluffy idealism is mere pretense. If you cannot answer these very simple questions, then this discussion has little meaning.

--------------------

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #4232484 - 05/29/05 05:48 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe they thought the kid got shot....(?)    ::::shrugs::::

:sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Finish Line [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4232507 - 05/29/05 05:59 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You also can compete in humanity :laugh:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Finish Line [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4232988 - 05/29/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"You're competing yourself, if your trying to win."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Finish Line [Re: Gomp]
    #4235591 - 05/30/05 04:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Where is my response from Jiggy?

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4236349 - 05/30/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'll give you a response.

I posted a story about an event, a happening, that many found extraordinary and meaningful which is why it keeps getting passed along.

What was to ever really be discussed about it. Who said I was looking for a discussion from it.

I told the story to my daughter and she smiled and said, "That was sweet"

I told it to my husband and he said, "That's pretty cool".

Nothing was discussed because there really is nothing to discuss about it. Go back and look at what I wrote in my words. I said the story came in my mail and I felt like sharing it here.

I felt like passing it along.  There is that moment, when you read it and consider what those kids did that feels like "home".

I pictured them helping the kid who fell up to his fit and them locking arms and walking to the finish line together and was like, "Wow, that's a beautiful image!"

I spent the weekend refinishing and putting in a bad ass fountain and then sat back and thought, "Wow, that's a beautiful image."

There was nothing much to be discussed about the fountain. The beauty of the stone architecture and the tranquil sound of the water reminds me of a place I call "home" and it feels really good.

Those kids did something that felt good to them and suprise suprise, beating others out wasn't it.

Swami, it was YOU who wanted to turn this post into a discussion about competition.

Start your own post on competition. In it, tell us how intelligent we have been to create losers out of people.

This post, was about the beauty of the win win. You are going radically off topic and i don't care if you do, but that doesn't mean I care to discuss the new topic you brought up in this one.

Your quiz, is meaningless and useless to me. No shit, I was raised and breed in a competitive world. You didn't have to come up with a silly off topic quiz to get me to say that. I've spent most of my life competing with others. Doesn't mean I like it or agree with the way of it.

Anywhere and anytime, I can find another way to co-operate instead of compete, I do. Anywhere I can create a win win over a win loss, I do. Thats where the creative challenge is for me. That's when I get to put my spirit, skills and creative intelligence to the test.

I use to run a tour boat business and we rocked the house man. We generated demand beyond what we often had the capacity to fill. When other tour boat companies (our competitors) were booked, they just turned the excess away.

WE, called around to our competitors and asked if they had any boat not going out that we could rent for the day from them so we could fill heavy excess demand when we had it.

The competitors didn't want to see anyone else make the money and didn't care if the tourists on the only day they had left made it out to see the beauty of the B.V.I.'s or not. They set up a losses for others.

We created wins for them to make money off of us and wins for the tourists to enjoy our beautiful islands and we still made a little, some times broke even but found it to be a win for our service reputation not to disappoint potential customers with a turn down.

We chose to work in co-operation with our competitors when we could and it created win wins for all and was good for the industry on the island. We set an example for renting out competitors boats to service demand on the island. We made it about supporting ourselves via supporting the industry and pleasing the tourists, not about by ripping our competitors throats out and not giving a rats ass about the tourists.

Non the less, competitors pulled a lot of dirty under handed shit with us in attempts to tear us down instead of finding ways  to improve the quality of their products and services and name reputation. We kept competing against our own best and used our competitors as a co-operative resource. We thrived and helped them too in the process.

If over bookings were small, we would offer to book them on our competitors tours. other competitors could have sent their over bookings to us for a commission, some often did and some often turned them away because they didn't want to see us make the money. They wanted us to fail. All they did was fail their customers and their name reputation to serve and please the potential customer.

I am not opposed to competitive energy, I see it being used stupidly to create win losses instead of win wins for all.

Had all the tour boat companies worked with the same goal of serving the industry as a whole and the tourists and used each other to serve that goal, EVERYONE would've made more money and helped the industry to thrive and serve its customers better creating win wins for all.

Competition regarding survival of the fittest means only the few fit survive. Where is the true spirit of competition in that? It's a given. If I am fit enough to get food and you are not and can't, I live and you die. Big deal for me and in general. It was predicatable.

Now, if I can get food for you also and you in turn can teach my daughter how to weave baskets while I am out gathering for the 3 of us, then, we all get to live. To compete for the success of the whole is where the spirit of challenge is.

I disagree with your idea that humans are still around because of survival of the fittest crap non sense. Humans are still around because they learned to pull together and utilize  resources and co-operated with each other. I think if we lived in a world where people only looked out for themselves, no one would be left alive.
They would go paranoid insane with lack mentality and kill each other.

Competition regarding the survival of all means as many as possible get to survive. That is the greater and greatest challenge when you can take the best of everything available and make the whole even greater through it.

It's a beautiful thing. :heart:

If you think win loss competition is a more intelligent way for human kind to move forward then win win co-operation is then I think there are some mentally retarded children out there who have something to teach you.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineGwynevere
an oldie but agoody

Loc: Midwest
    #4236399 - 05/30/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I appreciate your story and am taking it as a good reminder of the value of altruism.
However, I suppose I believe that in today?s American society it is unrealistic to live your life this way across the board.
Instead, I support the notion of ?a good deed a day?.
If I can go out of my way to help someone I wouldn?t otherwise help once per day then I feel that I?m doing well.
And, I think if more people adopted this attitude then of course, society as a whole would become a little bit better ? to me in any case.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Gwynevere (05/30/05 01:24 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4236413 - 05/30/05 01:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Swami, it was YOU who wanted to turn this post into a discussion about competition.
Bold-faced lie as the following comment clearly demonstrates.

Jiggy in earlier post: Means little to you because, you've made it clear that you are about competition and winning.

I disagree with your idea that humans are still around because of survival of the fittest crap non sense.
It is not my idea. It is fact.

Everywhere humans live, other large predators disappear.

Tribes/cultures that die in wars or starve do not procreate. This is simple.

For all your pretense at love and light, there is much misguided hostility in your post.

If you think win loss competition is a more intelligent way for human kind to move forward then win win co-operation is then I think there are some mentally retarded children out there who have something to teach you.
This is the "cleverest" ad hominem yet. :rolleyes:

OK, you "win". My feelings are hurt as your competitive attack was successful. :frown:

Thanks for clearly demonstrating your beliefs.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4237207 - 05/30/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:lol: As said in the film I-Robot Swami "Your logic is undeniable" :lol:

But i always wish for a better future where pople arent as selfishly motivated. As far as i can see our culture and many others around the world have been moving in the wrong direction for a long time. While i tend to agree with you, i still wish that history would cease to repeat itself in such a bloddy and unessasery fashion. I pray for humanity to recognize its own humanity, but sadly i dont think this is going to happen on any large scale any time soon. Im just thankful that wolrd peace starts with the indivudal, becuase at least i know i can do my bit to help others to help themselves and others.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Finish Line [Re: egghead1]
    #4238471 - 05/31/05 01:15 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

As far as that goes, I literally put my life on the line to apply for (and win!) Conscientious Objector status while in the US Navy. It was one whole year of living hell. I stuck by my beliefs of non-violence. The Swam is not just talk.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #4238517 - 05/31/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I imagine one day some of us will live in a world where there is no competition. This is not that world. There is always competition, and how we handle the very act of competition and how we handle our wins and losses will be duly noted.

But while we live in this world, there will be competition. That is undeniable and will not disappear. And even though there is competition, there is always room for stories like Jiggy's, where certain types of us are able to turn away from winning and can let the whole game result in a tie, resulting in a heart-warming to the rest of us for a moment of sharing.

It would be a cool world where everyone works hand in hand with each other for the good of one another. This is not that world yet, but neither is this necessarily a bad world simply because there is competition. For some reason, our current world is made of competition. I guess it comes down to: What are your rules of play??

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4238546 - 05/31/05 01:39 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have to agree with Swami in stating that competition is natural in the order of life, and it is a good thing by and large. It is good for someone to discover their talents and stand out against others. When I was in college I walked into a programming class and mentally put myself in competition with the person in that class that I thought capable of the best work. Often I verbalized this to that person and engaged them in open competition. It spurred both of us to do our best. In several cases this good spirited competition made me and my competitor fast friends. I still correspond with a few of these people. Mean spirited competition is negative and to be avoided. One avoids this by controlling one's own attitude to the competition. When one avoids competition they also avoid excellence. Fear of failure is usually the reason for some people's dislike of competition, but failure is normal. Being successful means facing frequent failure and going back at it with new insight to the problem. Competition, if kept in perspective, is merely a tool to help us meet our goals. The story was nice, but it really made no statement about competition. We should all stop to give aid to those who truly need it....be they our competitors or not.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Finish Line [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4238763 - 05/31/05 03:29 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"We should all stop to give aid to those who truly need it....be they our competitors or not. "

That was a neat after thought and comment from the story Hue. Maybe that's where much of the beauty in it came from. It starts off in fun and good will, with a race to a win and then, some one stumbles, falls and gets hurt and the fun and winning are set aside as addressing the "hurt" became the top priority before the fun, games and winning could resume.

I also liked what you said about it being a tool to meet goals. That's more of how I see it and you gave it words. For these kids, the goal was to cross the finish line. And through a co-operative effort, they banned together and helped each other to all reach that goal when they saw one of them wasn't going to make it. :thumbup:

I think of all of the people I left behind and trampled on in my childhood in the name of My Fun or My win, be it the first to get to the swings, to look cool at the roller rink or decide who was in or out with my "in" crowed. Then, I read this story about mentally retarded children and they had me feeling humbled.

Swami,

What my financial ability to put every child in the world through college has to do with members here finding their own meaning in this story is all about or how it is related I have no idea ?????????????? :tongue: :kiss:

What do I have to do with the story being meaningful to anyone? I just passed it along letting the reader decide.

I thought my being humbled by mental retards was more then enough. Now I am also expected to care for the world by myself for the story to have meaning to everyone on the board?

In another post you say we can all learn from each other.  In this one I said that if you think a win loss is better then a win win then you can learn something from these kids and somehow my suggesting your learning from others, as you also have here, is now an ad homonym attack?

Were you attacking all of us when you said we can learn from others?

I think that there are healthy forms of competition and I noted some examples I practice and I think there are il ones out there as well.

Look at the Texas mom who put a hit out on a girl so her daughter could make the cheerleading squad in her place after the other was killed off. Look at the dad who beat another dad to death in front of their kids at their kids hockey game because the others guys kid kept his kid from scoring. Most of us have our survival needs covered and don't have to kill to make the cheerleading squad or even be on it to survive. This competition shit gets taken to far in this day and age.

Sweet reply Gwen!

Egg, I appreciate what you said about not having control over the competitive world but having much control over the use of it in your own life and way in your world within the world.

Frog, I also appreciated what you said about it coming down to our own rules of play. In many cases there are a lot of "rules of play" that are really nothing more then tradition based and we can change them at any time and start new ones.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4238794 - 05/31/05 03:51 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"This competition shit gets taken to far in this day and age."
It must be said that psychotic people take everything too far, and there has never been a shortage of them.

When I was a kid I copped a bad attitude about competition. I tried athletics, and despite being a large,(6'4" in the 6th grade)strong person, I lacked any sort of coordination...so I really sucked bad. I tried basketball, football, and track. I joined the Army as an infantryman (I felt like I had something to prove...I know stupid) and while I was a competent soldier, I was surrounded by many people who outstripped me in every way...I was definitely second rate. I was 33 years old before I found the area in which I excelled. It has since occurred to me that it wasn't the competition that sucked...it was that my field of competition was poorly chosen. One should always play up their strengths.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Finish Line [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4238812 - 05/31/05 04:03 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Beauteous! I was just telling that to my sister the other day. She called me crying because a friend told her that her apprehension for taking a certain job meant she was just lazy.

That's not true about her when she is in an area of her strengths. When she is in her strong place, she works hard and is highly disciplined.

The area she wanted to get into, because it pays better, required her to be the strongest where she is the weakest. I pointed that out to her and then I pointed out to her what fields she has shown awesome strength in and she refocused her direction when it hit home. She gets it now and is making maneuvers to get into the area of her strength, even though the money may not be as great.

It took her 34 years with a little help from me to figure out what you said. Better later then never. She will be a lot happier too being what she is naturally good at then trying to be something she naturally just isn't.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4238851 - 05/31/05 04:50 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Bringing up a psychotic, cheerleading mother has nothing to do with this discussion and only weakens your position.

What my financial ability to put every child in the world through college has to do with members here finding their own meaning in this story is all about or how it is related I have no idea ??????????????

You act as if competition is mainly on the track or playing field. You will do whatever you can to secure the best possible future for your genetic offspring. Improving your business takes dollars away from weaker businesses. This is competition no matter how you position it. Do you want your kids to get As; go to an elite college; get a desirable career position; find a good mate? All of those things mean coming in AHEAD of other humans. Not all things are, or can be, win-win.

Notice you didn't tackle my courting competition remark. This is as true for humans as it is throughout the animal kingdom. BTW, I seriously doubt you dated any homeless, paraplegic, or mentally retarded men no matter how beautiful their "souls" were. Heck, I would be surprised if you ever got serious about a very short man. Why? Genetic competition. Not singling you out, just stating this is the way of the world and cannot be denied.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology