Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Speed Limits
    #4230313 - 05/28/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I propose that we eliminate highway speed limits and change to something like Germany's autobahn system. Keep speed limits for residential and city areas, but let people on the freeway go as fast as they want, so long as they're keeping a safe distance from other traffic. What say you?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Speed Limits [Re: Silversoul]
    #4230425 - 05/28/05 05:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I think it would be hard to phase in due to the way people drive in this country. People aren't used to high speeds like that. Plus, at least in my area, people usually drive curtiously. Often people like to hog a lane just because they're there. I often get behind people going slower than they should be in the fast/passing lane and yet they refuse to move. And then when I pass them they often give me a look like what's your problem.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: Speed Limits [Re: cb9fl]
    #4230652 - 05/28/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I would be for it only if the driving test was much more rigorous, like Germany. Driving test should include real life situations, like gaining control in a skid, braking in an emergency etc. Also drunk driving should be more strictly punished, and regular traffic offenses should be enforced better. The driving age should be raised to 18. All of this could contribute to highway safety, allowing higher or no speed limit.

Tens of thousands of innocent people die every year on the roads, and traffic accidents are the number one cause of death in our age group (early 20s). Its an epidemic and nobody really talks about it.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Speed Limits [Re: DieCommie]
    #4230861 - 05/28/05 07:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Well said Commie. The driving test in Europe is much harder than the driving test in the U.S. (easily10x harder IMO)
They see driving as a privilege rather than a right. They have a better public transportation system than the U.S. does so a car isn't really needed there like it is here.

Paradigm, our roads would have to be in much better shape than they are in now. I have driven on the Autobahn. It is easily 10x better (smoother, flatter and straighter) than our interstate system. That's one of the reasons for the higher speeds and better safety records, IMO.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Speed Limits [Re: niteowl]
    #4230931 - 05/28/05 07:47 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Are trucks allowed on the autobahn?

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Speed Limits [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4230963 - 05/28/05 08:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I believe buses and trucks are only allowed in the slowest lane.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Speed Limits [Re: Silversoul]
    #4230984 - 05/28/05 08:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I propose that we eliminate highway speed limits and change to something like Germany's autobahn system.  Keep speed limits for residential and city areas, but let people on the freeway go as fast as they want, so long as they're keeping a safe distance from other traffic.  What say you?

Absolutely.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Niteowl might have a point about the quality of our roads, but the speed limit should be raised by at least ten miles per hour.  I can not drive 65 mister.

They won't do it, though.  Imagine how much revenue is generated by speeding tickets for each state. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Speed Limits [Re: cb9fl]
    #4230988 - 05/28/05 08:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The reason I ask is that trucks and buses cause way more damage to the roadway than cars.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Speed Limits [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4232797 - 05/29/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, they do let trucks and buses on the Autobahn.

The Autobahn is built WAY better than our interstates. I don't remember the exact figures but their roadway is 3-4 times thicker than our roadway. I think our pavement is around 6-8 inches thick, while the Autobahn is about 20-24 inches thick.

I read or saw somewhere that the Autobahn is so well built that a 747 could land on it and do no damage.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion