Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

And the truth comes out....of george w bush
    #4224210 - 05/26/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/05/20050524-3.html

Quote:

Now, a personal savings account would be a part of a Social Security retirement system. It would be a part of what you would have to retire when you reach retirement age. As you -- as I mentioned to you earlier, we're going to redesign the current system. If you've retired, you don't have anything to worry about -- third time I've said that. (Laughter.) I'll probably say it three more times.See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda. (Applause.)

But if you choose to have one of these accounts -- notice I keep saying "if you choose" -- the government is not going to tell you, you have to do this. I think the government ought to give you the opportunity to set up one of these accounts. And the account becomes a part of your retirement plan. It's your own asset. It's something you leave to somebody -- whomever you choose. And it makes the system eminently more fair.

Out of all the Bushisms I've heard so far..I think this one tops them all.

Audio

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: usefulidiot]
    #4224275 - 05/26/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed, more than one source verifies it.

http://www.rnc.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=5490

Interesting, I wonder if it was just a stupid comment at first, like the one where he said the government never stops thinking of ways to harm the American people.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: Ravus]
    #4224297 - 05/26/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Do you think Bush's staff cringes when he makes verbal gaffes? Or are they so used to it that it doesn't phase them?

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4224304 - 05/26/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes it makes them cringe, but the primate lab continues working to fine tune the neural implants.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4224318 - 05/26/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Two words....Karl Rove. He's got Bush and the country brainwashed, you thing Goebbels was good? Rove is even better.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4224789 - 05/26/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

I love it when he forgets what he should and shouldn't be saying in public.  Thanks for that Useful. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4225367 - 05/27/05 02:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yep...what a great choice for leader of the free world....it's obvious he thinks the american people are sooooo stupid that he can tell us he's feeding us propaganda and not worry about it having any effects. Of course, this is true of his moronic supporters and i suppose he doesn't care what the rest of the country/world thinks about him.

i'd like to see how some of the bush fans on here would try to spin this so it didn't look so bad, but i know they won't have the balls to address these types of unconscious slips that bush makes all the time, and instead will just choose to block it out of their memories as though it never happened. ignorance is bliss.  :smirk:

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: Vex]
    #4225587 - 05/27/05 06:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the American people are like the toad in the water. The White House keeps raising the temp so slowly on the water, that no one realizes we're being boiled alive.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #4225600 - 05/27/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Definitions of propaganda on the Web:

* information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.1<br/>
<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

^^First definition off google--nothing wrong with using the word propganda. People here are just focusing on a secondary definition of the word.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: Tao]
    #4225607 - 05/27/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

for the truth to sink in

:dumblol: :doggystyle:
Quote:

* information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause

That definition says nothing about spreading truth only promoting a  cause.  That is what is wrong with propaganda and Bush's statement.  Has the truth sunk in for you yet?

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: 1stimer]
    #4225625 - 05/27/05 06:49 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Did you read the context?? He's saying the plan doesn't affect retired people. He's saying that so they won't ignorantly attack his privatisation plan (his 'cause') due to worrying about their own future. Is it debatable whether it will affect retired people or not?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4225660 - 05/27/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

The context has nothing to do with his comments about having to repeat things to make the truth "sink in" and let the propaganda get going.

The fact is, the truth shouldn't have to "sink in". The truth should be evident. The only time you need to repeat something over and over and over and over again is when it's not totally true and you need to convince everyone.

The old saying, "Repeat a lie enough and it becomes true."

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: myndreach]
    #4225663 - 05/27/05 07:31 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The context has nothing to do with his comments about having to repeat things to make the truth "sink in" and let the propaganda get going.

Yeah, don't let that annoying 'context' thing get in the way.  Go ahead and take the quotes out of context like a true spinster :thumbup:

Quote:

The fact is, the truth shouldn't have to "sink in". The truth should be evident. The only time you need to repeat something over and over and over and over again is when it's not totally true and you need to convince everyone.

Utter bullshit, if that were the case, then voters would not be as misinformed as they are repeatedly shown to be.  When you are learning something, do you read through it once and instantly remember everything you just read? It would be nice if he could just say everything once on one occasion, but that's not reality.  He has a long speech and wants to stress a key factoid which is that the plan doesn't apply to those already retired.  Not to mention, he's making the point to a bunch of old people, so of course he should repeat a key point a few times in case they missed it the first.  When writing an essay, you say what your thesis is in the introduction, write about it in the middle and repeat in the conclusion.  This is nothing new, but go ahead and try to spin it to make Bush look like some evil manipulative Hitler (NB: I hate Bush, I'm just pointing out the fallacy in this thread)

--------------------

Invisibleusefulidiot

#4225758 - 05/27/05 08:41 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Fallacy..what fallacy?  :smile:

"If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed"

Adolf Hitler quotes (German chancellor, leader of the Nazi party, 1889-1945)

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#4225818 - 05/27/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

usefulidiot said:
Fallacy..what fallacy?  :smile:

"If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed"

Adolf Hitler quotes (German chancellor, leader of the Nazi party, 1889-1945)

So are you insinuating that his SS plan will apply to retired persons?

--------------------

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4225821 - 05/27/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tao said:
Quote:

Yeah, don't let that annoying 'context' thing get in the way.  Go ahead and take the quotes out of context like a true spinster :thumbup:

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just pointing out that the context doesn't change his comments at all. No need to start getting all uppity lol...

Quote:

Utter bullshit, if that were the case, then voters would not be as misinformed as they are repeatedly shown to be.  When you are learning something, do you read through it once and instantly remember everything you just read? It would be nice if he could just say everything once on one occasion, but that's not reality.  He has a long speech and wants to stress a key factoid which is that the plan doesn't apply to those already retired.  Not to mention, he's making the point to a bunch of old people, so of course he should repeat a key point a few times in case they missed it the first.  When writing an essay, you say what your thesis is in the introduction, write about it in the middle and repeat in the conclusion.  This is nothing new, but go ahead and try to spin it to make Bush look like some evil manipulative Hitler (NB: I hate Bush, I'm just pointing out the fallacy in this thread)

Points taken.

Invisibleusefulidiot

#4225843 - 05/27/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tao said:
So are you insinuating that his SS plan will apply to retired persons?

Hardly..I am merly pointing out that it seems his speech went on a little discourse in which he was not talking about his SS plan specifically, but all of his plans in general.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#4226034 - 05/27/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DUBYA says:
See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda. (Applause.)

Quote:

DICTIONARY.COM says:
prop?a?gan?da (prp-gnd)
n.

1. The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
2. Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

That a politician herds the masses with a cattleprod to get them where he wants them to go is well known. Still, it is a very rude thing for a president to say. It implies that the people have not a clue but can be made docile by repeating the same message over and over, that they got to be "worked" instead of talked to.

The use of the word "propaganda" in a *favorable context* by a politician is very questionable. You accuse opposition and dictators of "propaganda" because that word implies manipulation of the masses instead of being straight and honest.

In the Cold War "those damn commies" used "propaganda" while "the righteous side" was on a mission to "inform the people".
See the difference? Bush clearly doesn't. He likely with a straight face asks before a press conference: "Has my propaganda speech been prepared?"

Nuance is everything. Since WW1 and especially WW2 the word Propaganda always reflected a deceit committed by the other side of politics.

Favorable use of the word "propaganda" by a president who describes his own job, and uses tactics developed by the Third Reich as an example of how he goes about that is highly significant.
Nuance is everything.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: And the truth comes out....of george w bush [Re: Asante]
    #4226530 - 05/27/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisibleusefulidiot

#4228451 - 05/27/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So does anybody have any idea why the crowd applauded that statement?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale