Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, Ultrasonic Humidifier, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Hydro sally
    #4225114 - 05/27/05 03:00 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

im getting a cutting , how would i go about putting it as a hydro plant ? i wasnt shore because of the humidity needed for young cuttings.

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Hydro sally [Re: liveby]
    #4225256 - 05/27/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Young cutlings love a humidity factor. Of course saliva's in general love a humidity factor. When you first receive you cutling be sure to give it the least amount of variables. Hence do not repot the saliva or it will die. It all depends, is the saliva cutling going to be in a rockwool cube?

Hydro is relatively simple. All you are doing is bypassing soil and using a nutrient solution in the water to nourish the plant. An easy way to hydro a saliva would be too create a deep water culture. All you do is make a 30 gallon container have a some netted pots that contain hydrotron or perlite, lava rock whatever to hold the rockwool cube. Then in the container put a airpump to bubble the nutrient solution you made. I am personally fond of the airpump + the mister solution. They also have the drip solution and tray flood one. Hard to choice one strategy for growing hydro. I would have it be a toss up between the trip and the misting. It wouldn't be that hard to make a system that Incorporated both a drip system and a misting from a single reservoir,

I guess the ideal setup for growing a saliva indoors (unless you have 80-90% humidity in your local area) would be to make a humidity tent for your saliva's. You can buy one of those green houses or make a martha stewart closet tent. You can even use painters plastic and build one from pvc pipe.... but I think it just isn't as cool myself.

After having the tent, just put a coolmist humidifier in their, along with a bunch of fluro lights. They seem to love flurolighting as they don't need full sunlight at all.

The plant is very receptive in telling you something is wrong. Hence if the leaves are browning, then too much water. If the plant is shriveling up then it needs more water. I don't think it is possible to give it too much humidity, perhaps 90%+ is excessive only due to fungi production that is mearly a nuance in this case.

They also seem to like fertilizer once established. Do not rush salivas when they are young, they hate it. Only pot the plant in soil once it is relatively strong. Never use more then 70% potting soil for salivas. They absolutely HATE wet roots.

Damn now that I think about it, if salivas love fast draining soil, then how the fuck are they going to do well with a hydro system?

I will try a hydro system on a saliva soon and give you some feedback. I don't see how it is possible if the roots like to be dry most of the time.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#4225317 - 05/27/05 04:15 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

hydro has been done with wonderfull results!

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4226067 - 05/27/05 12:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

where? who?

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro sally [Re: Vvellum]
    #4228568 - 05/28/05 01:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4230046 - 05/28/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting link! Indoor flowering, I wonder if it was the light cycle or some sort of last ditch effort to reproduce.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro sally [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4232419 - 05/29/05 05:18 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well well, soon I will hydro my salvias and tell you the results in time my friends.

--------------------

Anonymous

#4239580 - 05/31/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

if it was a me doing it. I would root the cutting in a blacked out container (to prevent alge). inside the container , i would add a few bubblestones and also (strictly while rooting)a aquarium heater. to promote root growth maybee 1drop/gallon of superthrive to promote root growth and vitality.

after rooted i would add the cutting to grodan growcube (small cubes of rockwool)in netpots.

from there the hydroponic possibliities are endless,but the trade offs are that sally has a very tempermental attitude to the wrong enviroment. Since hydroponics adresses the issue of substrate, i would have to think of what kind of soil she likes the most and replicate the condition (airy rich soil(fluffy growcube lots of nutes).

So, from there i would decide that root the where not to be saturated 100% of the time. ebb and flow would be my first choice (the dude in ur link did good as far as growth went).second probably areoponics (usually not a good idea for a novice) third a top feed drip system

after seeing homeboy from the links root system i would choose a flood table instead of a system similar to his.a flood table has a drain and a place to fill like this

then you would sit your sallies in this. A pump would be added to a resevoir that the water would drain into.water from the res,would be pumped on a timer. the length of this pump running to saturate the growcube would be critical to prevent root and stem rot (root rot seem to be a problem with homeboy). the resevoir needs to be monitored with a E.C. or tds meter to see how much nutrients are up took. PH balance is important too when hydro comes into play (the wrong ph will lock out nutes from the roots)

hydro is not just good for large yields, its very good for folks that like to tweek variables (or bad for folks who dont)

but im not knocking deep water culture this was done with just a bubbler

drawbacks from ebb and flow systems are that alot of water evaporates (which throws off ec and ph often)

mech1

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Re: Hydro sally [Re: ]
    #4241898 - 05/31/05 11:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ah dwc is easy or building a aeroponic mist setup with the same tupperware 25-40 gallon containers.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Salvia, Ultrasonic Humidifier, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden