Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
The metal weaving( chain-maille ) thread
    #4224279 - 05/26/05 10:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So I've recently taken up the art of Chain-Maille manufacture.

Let me break down the steps of how simple(yet very time consuming) this wonderful past time really is.

First you need a mandrel. Which is a medieval tool used to wrap metal coils. Here is a picture:

I built mine from scrap wood in the garage using a few nails and a couple screws.
I hook my power drill up to the metal rod and have my father hit it high speed to wrap rings super fast, and super effective.
I highly recommend the power drill method for maille making.

Next step is wire. I recommend 16 gauge for beginners, and even pros. You may want to go for the thicker 14 gauge wire once you master your craft.

So, now that you have a mandrel and wire( galvanized steel, stainless steel, bronze, or copper wire all work well) wind some coils(also called worms).

Now you are ready to cut links. Get a good pair of cutters! I can't stress how important it is to get a good pair of snips.

Here is a picture of a similar pair of snips that I use.

The compound action is k3y for easy cutting. MAKE SURE the snips you have make a somewhat clean cut in your links(no wire cutters are perfect, the only way to make perfect rings is to use a jewelers saw, which is totally un-necessary and expensive unless you already have one)

Now that you have links, simple use two pairs of pliers to close the links. There are plenty of guides on the web about how to properly do this. I suggest you read up before you embark on a project.

AND THAT'S IT!!!!

In the following posts I am going to post pictures of different style weaves you can make. Each one offers something unique. You must decide if you want something light with little protection, or a heavy weave with maximum protection.
Some weaves just look good, and some don't look good but are practical.

I'll update this guide as time goes by.
I've already made a maille thread in OTD and I am going to copy and paste the important things from there to here so stay tuned!

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: The metal weaving( chain-maille ) thread [Re: flowstone]
    #4224280 - 05/26/05 10:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This pattern is called "dwarf mail" because it offers superior protection for downward blows.

The pattern is basic, its European 4in1 with ANOTHER layer of Euro 4in1 woven on top of it for a two layer mail.

As you can see in the picture, the maker used copper, brass, and steel rings.

Check out some of these other weaves, to spark your creativity, if you're a mail weaver.

Emperors Maille:

Dragon Maille:

Dragon Scale Maille:

--------------------

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4224285 - 05/26/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Japanese Maille waves

Japanese style 6 in 1:

Japanese 12 in 1 scale:

Japanese Hodo(not to be confused with Hoodo weave)

--------------------

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4224293 - 05/26/05 10:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If any of you saw the movie " Kingdom of Heaven" I must say that the armour in that movie was incredible craftsmanship. And not just a few of the pieces, all of them( except the plastic armour the extras used in the massive battle scenes)
People don't realize there is NO machine to make chain-mail, and each link must be painstaking closed by hand with pliers to knit the entire project.

This is going to be the next weave I learn:
European 6 in 1

and this is the one I am doing now
European 4 in 1!!

--------------------

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #4224337 - 05/26/05 11:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

wow, i'm glad you found something you enjoy so much. what do you intend to do with your chain maille once it is completed?

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: The metal weaving( chain-maille ) thread [Re: Signo]
    #4224370 - 05/26/05 11:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't enjoy weaving metal as much as I enjoy smoking pot :0 What I DO enjoy is learning the history and uses of maille and then making it myself.
I've always been a history buff and I especially love the period where chain-mail reached its prime.

What do I intend to do with it? Well, my first project I completed was a chain-mail bracer, which I will use to replace my cloth bracer in protecting my arm during archery practice.
If I make more pieces??? I'll either sell it or give it as gifts to people.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4224375 - 05/26/05 11:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i've done some jewelry chain work before in a shop. similar to chain maille, and tedious in a different kind of way since it was so small. first i would wrap the silver around a thin wooden dowel as tight as possible, then cut the new coil with a sort of disc saw...kind of like a dremel. then i had to sand each of the links openings flush to each other and pry them as close to shut as possible. i then put a little flake of silver jeweler's solder and made each link permanently closed. then i polished buffed the chain to a mirror shine. it came out real nice..i wish i would have taken pictures.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4224377 - 05/26/05 11:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

this is all pretty interesting though. i've always liked working with metal..i don't think i have the 'drive' to make some chain maille though.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: The metal weaving( chain-maille ) thread [Re: felix]
    #4224388 - 05/26/05 11:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, there are tons of patterns( and vendors) out there on the net for maille jewlry. Chain-maille jewlry is actually historicly accurate and pretty hard to make.
The way you made your silver rings- that is perfect! Not only did you use a saw for a perfect cut but you sanded them and soddered silver, to permanently close it.. wow.
Did you make any weaves or just make the rings for other people to weave.
And as for 'drive' it's actually pretty simple and cheap to get started. 20 bucks is all it cost me and I have materials to last me 2 months.
200 feet 16 gauge galvanized steel wire= $5.99
Mandrel= Free
Wirecutter= $12.99
Dowel rod to wrap rings= $2

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4224422 - 05/26/05 11:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That is one badass hobby :rockon:

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4224640 - 05/27/05 12:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i made a chain like a jewelry kind of chain out of sterling silver...kind of like the ones people wear around their neck. it was pretty cool, i gave it away though.

speaking of silver work, i've also used a cast to make this little shroom pendant kind of thing. i used a 'cuttlebone' for the mold. it's sold at petshops for bird owners. it's real soft and chalky kind of material. you can very easily scrape and carve at it to make a shape, except you have to do your design in reverse. kind of like a candy mold for shroom chocolates. you melt the silver and pour it into the mold. so anyways, i made this really nice little mushroom and i was surprised myself it came out so nice. but i gave it away also. i always gave my work away for some reason. i wish i would have kept all of it.

the shroom looked kind of like this but in a 3D version. the little dots were raised bumps and it had alot of different textures and it was about 2 inches tall. i was proud as hell of that thing.

--------------------

OfflineTheDudeAbides
Livin Off FrostyBarley Pops andPork Soda
 User Gallery

Re: The metal weaving( chain-maille ) thread [Re: DNKYD]
    #4224850 - 05/27/05 01:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DNKYD said:
That is one badass hobby :rockon:

Couldn't of said it better myself..Always wanted to learn the craft.

--------------------
outputrotation said:
x-com and unsolved mysteries are the only things that have ever made me truly scared

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4224929 - 05/27/05 01:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That is really cool!

I hate to go off subject but you've just touched on another subject which I wish to further verse myself in...See, I have a ton of 'scrap silver'( Mostly including garage sale sterling silver jewelry buys') and also some ounce coins.
I was hoping to melt my silver down and make it into something cool(like a shroom, or maybe a cross or dagger)

But I need an easy way for a novice to build a furnace to melt the silver down! Did the shop you work in have a professional metal melter, or did you build your own furnace and use it in a backyard or outside?
I want to build my own furnace, but I also think if there is a metal-shop I can pay to borrow their melter for one cast pour, it would be much easier than building my own furnace(downside is I'd have to keep going back to the shop for further melt jobs)
Anyways, if you can point some light on the subject and suggestions I'd like to know.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4225049 - 05/27/05 02:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

no! you don't absolutely need a furnace. just a crucible and a good hot blow torch. i think a bottle of MAPP gas and a 'turbo tip' for your torch may work. may not even need a turbo tip...i don't even know what those turbo tips are really called. put all your scrap in the crucible and get to melting. depending on your torch, it may take a while. i used an oxy-actylene torch to quicken the melting, but i'm pretty sure a regular torch maybe from a hardware store would work.

depending on the size of the piece you may need a furnace though. the bigger the piece the more heat you need to keep everthing liquified so it solidifies into the mold properly.

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #4225110 - 05/27/05 02:59 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that is nice work...how in the F#$k can you do that? it is too mindblowing to me...

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #4225145 - 05/27/05 03:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have an old room-mate that's into making chain-maille. He kept trying to get me interested in it, but it's not really my cup of tea. He made some pretty cool gloves though and a hood...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4225232 - 05/27/05 03:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That answers a lot then.
Just a few questions about terms. The crucible is the small pot you melt the metal in, which you will then pour into the mold?
Do you apply flame directly to the silver at any time? I can't think of why.
SO, then you just keep the flame on the metal crucible and get it real hot and then pour the silver?
If that is the case I really need to find a place with some good molds because I have enough silver to make several pieces.

skunk; it's easy. I posted some pretty complicated patterns. Look at this one:

Start with that, it's easy. Don't even attempt 6 in 1 or complicated patterns until you master the basics. You will catch on fast. Each ring has to fit an exact way or your weave will be out of alignment and compact-ability.

Rono: It's pretty weird I guess, but really cool if you're into certain history. I used to weave carpets with yarn, this is just another expression of the craft.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#4225257 - 05/27/05 03:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yes, you apply the flame directly to the silver until it's melted. the crucible is like a ceramic (or whatever material they make it out of) bowl that just holds your silver as you heat it.

this is where a furnace would come in handy to anneal the metal so it's not too brittle. there shouldn't be much of a problem with a homemade piece's brittleness though. you just want it to cool off real slow. don't dip the freshly poured metal into a a bucket of water...that really reduces quality. i suggest you try the cuttlebone method and make something small first. a cuttlebone is like a dollar or two. it's really soft stuff. anyways, just scrape out a simple design and pour something small. just so you can get a feel for how the metal acts.

--------------------

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4225303 - 05/27/05 04:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Oh great, this clears it up.

"an?neal v.
To subject (glass or metal) to a process of heating and slow cooling in order to toughen and reduce brittleness."

Oh, I see. So if I heat it at a higher temp than required to liquefy the metal, it will then cool slower and perhaps burn off any impurities in the metal( or whatever heating it real hot does) and end with a more quality final product??
I'm glad you mention cuttle bone, I did not even think about making my own mold because I thought that any material that can hold molten silver would be too hard to carve. Are you saying it works well as a mold?
I could even incorporate chain mail into this by pouring some silver wire or plates and stitching them into certain Armour pieces.

--------------------

Edited by flowstone (05/27/05 04:11 AM)

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4225382 - 05/27/05 04:49 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here are some good replies to a thread at a guild forum about "Practical uses for Chain-mail"

Pull chains for light/fan fixtures
fireplace screen
napkin rings
coaster
hanging plant thing
The major use in today's market is for butchers in America. They buy gloves, aprons, and I've even seen pants, probably the most practical use today.
belt.
bookmark?
getting chicks? (it doesn't work for me)
ive seen *gasp* dildos..? really tho.
lampshades that make cool patterns!
coin pouch.
chessboard

Snowshoes
Fishing net
Hacky Sacks.
cigarette case
toilet seat
hammock
cell-phone cover

The list goes on, I just nabbed a few. Some of those are great, and some arn't. If that doesn't inspire me I don't know what will. Before now I thought the only 'practical' use of mail could be selling armour. I see there is much more to sell and enjoy!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Community >> The Pub