Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
How are my jars doing?
    #4223222 - 05/26/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

These jars were inoculated 8 days ago, and this is my first grow. I have a few questions/concerns. I have 16 jars, 8 millet and 8 flaxseed, and most of them are about this far along:

How close is this to where they should be? Do you see any problems with this growth? Also, one jar has a green spot in it, in the center of a strong myc clump, should I toss it now, or see if the myc prevails and cut that spot out later? A few jars are quite a ways behind this one, and are just now starting to grow clumps of myc at the inoculation points. What reasons are there for single jars to be slow?

Another question, should I remove the tinfoil now that the myc may be consuming a lot of air, and just let the top layer of verm keep the jars safe?

Is that normal to have rays of growth like that spot there?

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: How are my jars doing? [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #4223239 - 05/26/05 05:40 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

the rays of growth are called rhizmorphic and that is healthy...as for the other questions ill leave it up to the vets or others to discuss

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: How are my jars doing? [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #4223268 - 05/26/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

that first jar is blasting off. u must have it at about 83degs because for 8 days, that much colonization is amazing. the other jars are probably at about average growth rate.
you should take the tin foil off. the dry verm layer on top is supposed to keep contams out and it works well. with the top open, air exchange is possible and with the verm there, there is a small chance of contam.
what strain is that?
that little green mold is prolly bad...maybe you should toss it. mold can produce toxins that can kill you. the mycelium take nutrients from everywhere it lives so it can take in those lethal toxins. i read that from this site somewhere. you shouldnt fuck with moldy jars. would you eat that green mold? that is similar to what your doin if u ate mushrooms growing from it.

--------------------

The beautiful Cambodian Psilocybin Cubensis.

Feel the colors. See the sound.

My Personal Setup

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Re: How are my jars doing? [Re: Hengman]
    #4223299 - 05/26/05 05:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hengman said:
that first jar is blasting off. u must have it at about 83degs because for 8 days, that much colonization is amazing. the other jars are probably at about average growth rate.
you should take the tin foil off. the dry verm layer on top is supposed to keep contams out and it works well. with the top open, air exchange is possible and with the verm there, there is a small chance of contam.
what strain is that?
that little green mold is prolly bad...maybe you should toss it. mold can produce toxins that can kill you. the mycelium take nutrients from everywhere it lives so it can take in those lethal toxins. i read that from this site somewhere. you shouldnt fuck with moldy jars. would you eat that green mold? that is similar to what your doin if u ate mushrooms growing from it.

thanks :smile:  I think I'll isolate the jar and grow it, just to see if the myc can beat the mold. Cult gladiator style.

I keep the room the jars are in at about 82-85 deg F, and 55% humid. The strain is Ecuador, and neither are on BRF. These two are on millet (the stuff thats taking off) and flaxseed (the average), both finely ground from whole seed in a coffee grinder. The next two 8 jar batches will be on dark rye flour, and a combination of millet and flaxseed.

thanks for the input, folks, appreciated as always. I learn more in this place every day.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4223303 - 05/26/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The foil is probably what is stalling growth. I had some foil on my jars for awhile and then I took it off and growth took off. The mycelium needs to breathe. That top layer of verm will protect everything. Are you using filter discs or Tyvek? If you use this instead of the regular jar lids growth is accelerated. As for different jars growing at different rates, it is hard to say. The ratio of water to grain might be slightly off. Watch the jar with the green spot. Don't toss it, let it colonize and when all the jars are done, cut that part out.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Edited by Mighty Bop (05/26/05 05:59 PM)

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4223306 - 05/26/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

the "rays" is healthy mycelium and on my pf cakes I take the foil off and I put a coffee filter over it with a rubber band around it for added protection. the top jar will probably be ready in about a week the others have a ways to go the faster growth can be attributed to being warmer and to moisture content after a few batches of jars you will get the hang of it and have consistancy with them gl bro

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation