Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
help with pinning
    #4222917 - 05/26/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

my first batch of colonized jars have finally finished colonizing. now i've put them into a terrarium as described in mmgg but with a plastic tub instead. now i've had about 6 cakes in there for about a week and nothing is popping up. i wish i had a camera but there are little round balls of mycelium in small clusters, but none of them have changed to a brown color yet. will these suckers start to pin with the following conditions....at room temp (65 degs) indirect sunlight, a couple mistings a day and 1 or 2 air exchanges a day. are these babies on the right track or is something wrong.

one other note...while they were incubating, i had the jars upside-down so oxygen could get in there. that may have affected the pinning stage. i also dunked a couple cakes overnight and i put verm on the top and bottom of a couple cakes too.

--------------------

The beautiful Cambodian Psilocybin Cubensis.

Feel the colors. See the sound.

My Personal Setup

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: help with pinning [Re: Hengman]
    #4222931 - 05/26/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

in order to pin 2 things are triggers. light 12/12 and a drop of temperature. your temps are low, you need 74-76F to fruit. misting a couple of times a day probably wont do, look into perlite for good humidity. and the more air the better. oh yeah and dunk them next time if you didnt this time. and another thing, it can take longer than a week.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (05/26/05 02:27 PM)

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4222962 - 05/26/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It could be one of many things. First off, if your using Dunk-Tek, you dont need to do an additional cold shock. Keep your terrarium between 74 and 76 degrees. What kind of light are you using? I once had a problem with pinning that was easily fixed when i bought a 33 watt fluorescent bulb and fixture and put it on 12 hours on 12 off. Is the humidity ok in your terrarium? I suggest reading into perlite humidification, and getting a humidity gauge. Are you spraying your cakes directly? If so, thats why, and you need to come up with some sort of drip shield. It may just be that the cakes need a little bit more time to fluff up. Read about rizomorphic mycelium and what has to happen before fruitting.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: help with pinning [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4222977 - 05/26/05 02:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lemon_lw said:
in order to pin 2 things are triggers.

a THIRD pinning trigger is a drop in CO2 levels and fresh air exchange, so to answer ure question, those balls are prolly hyphal knots which are the first stages of primordia, the long time uve had to wait is prolly due to the little air exchange, try and up the fannings to 2-3 or more times a day and mist after each fanning to maintain humidity and moisture

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Edited by lordoftheshroomz (05/26/05 02:34 PM)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: help with pinning [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4223012 - 05/26/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

hmmmm... learn sonthing new every day. i knew that you needed the O2 for the fruits but never knew that it was a trigger for pinning.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4223035 - 05/26/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

jus think about it, in nature when the spores land on the substrate, they colonize it and when the mycelium reaches the surface, it reaches 3 new things a temperature drop, fresh air, and light

--------------------
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

#4223043 - 05/26/05 02:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

makes since thanks for the info

--------------------

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

#4223045 - 05/26/05 02:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thanks guys, i will try to fan more and mist more. yes, i do have a drip shield so my cakes are protected. although i do not have anyway to raise the temp. mostly due to low budget but i will try to improvise with this phone i have that makes heat. imma put that next to it under a blanket. any suggestions on that?

is dunking a good idea for every cake? with or without cold shock? my fridge has a light in it, but who keeps the door open?

--------------------

My Personal Setup

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4223058 - 05/26/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

with or without a cold shock dunkign is imperative, some cakes are cracker dry by the time they r done colonizing, that will cause the mycelium to die and obviously dead myc won't fruit

--------------------

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

#4223084 - 05/26/05 02:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

looking at my cakes...on the very bottom of the first cake i birthed, there is a little pinhead. it is very small but it is brown on top with a thin layer of white on it. the cake is 8days old.

--------------------

My Personal Setup

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4223107 - 05/26/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

there ya go ure first primordia

--------------------

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

#4223142 - 05/26/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

YEA!! im so excited. thanks for all the help fellaz. i'll prolly tell yall how these come out. just gotta remain patient

--------------------

My Personal Setup

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4223174 - 05/26/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

patience IS the key :yesnod:....along with sterility of course

--------------------

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

#4223219 - 05/26/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i got a couple of other jars still incubating even though they are fully colonized, (i hear letting then sit that way improves flushes). is it bad that some parts are blue and some parts are yellow. i dont think it is a mold but what exactly do these colors mean? should i immediantly birth them?

--------------------

My Personal Setup

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4223248 - 05/26/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Best recommendation to improve pinning I can give is 1) Even as possible casing layer and 2) Even, heavy and gradual misting of the casing surface. Get these two down, along with good timing of course, and you'll see the thick pinsets.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
    #4223249 - 05/26/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the blue is just the mycelium bruising, provided that you cant wipe any color off with a qtip. if the yellow is kinda waxy it seems to just be mycelial waste.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

Re: help with pinning [Re: starseed1066]
    #4223351 - 05/26/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

for an optimal pinning procedure, i will take my jar, put water in it and let it sit over night(in fridge, not in fridge, i dunno yet). then i will birth it with the top and bottom covered in verm(it looks nice and will prolly help with moisture). set it in a terrarium kept at a high humidty, air exchanging 3 times a day(when i can), at about 74degs (if i can). thanks guys for all your help. sorry diver, im using jars. but i will exploit that information when i get enough money to deal with casings.

anything wrong with my procedure?

--------------------

My Personal Setup

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

#4223381 - 05/26/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

cover the whole cake in verm rather than jus the tops and bottoms, works even better for moisture retention

--------------------

OfflineHengman
Small timeGrower
 User Gallery

#4224478 - 05/26/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thanks lordoftheshroomz. i got to thinkin while eatin dinner. i dont have much room left in my terrarium for the rest of my incubating cakes. i thought of making my first casing.
does anyone know how verm and BRF will do for a casing? i think it'll work but i dunno.
also, will a lack of fanning my terrarium just slow the growth of my mushrooms? or will the lack of O2 "choke" off my mushies and hurt them? im hoping it'll just slow it down because im out of the house alot.
i think poking a hole at the bottom will help with the drainage of co2, but im afraid of incoming contams.
thanks again guys. i hope you can answer my questions.

--------------------

My Personal Setup

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4239810 - 05/31/05 11:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Cakes nearly always pin between 6 and 8 days after birth. Oddly enough, the last batch i did all pinned exactly 7 days after birth. As far as the heating goes. It is a MUST that you raise your temp or your yields will be very small if any. I dont know this phone that you have that produces heat, so i cant help you on how to get that one to work. If you cant afford $20 for a small reptile heating pad then try to find a light that produces heat i guess.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags