Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service
    #4222483 - 05/26/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What's up with this? How can a newspaper threaten anyone with the secret service? It's almost as if the LA Times is admitting to being a public relations arm for the White House. Although maybe I'm reading too much into it. What do you think?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/5/25/141947.shtml

Quote:

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:16 p.m. EDT
LA Times Threatens O'Reilly With Secret Service

The Los Angeles Times is slamming Bill O'Reilly ? for slamming the Los Angeles Times.

The newspaper has warned the "telephilosopher" to stop his "decapitation fantasies" involving Times editorial page editor Michael Kinsley ? or face trouble from the Secret Service.

Story Continues Below

It all started with a Times editorial urging the shutdown of the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and access to attorneys for detainees.
That set off O'Reilly. During the broadcast of "The Radio Factor with Bill O?Reilly" on May 17, he declared:

"How can they think this way? How can anyone think this way? You know: 'Shutting down Guantanamo and giving suspected terrorists legal protections would help restore our reputation abroad.'"

Said O'Reilly, "That?s like saying, 'Well, if we're nicer to the people who want to kill us, then the other people who want to kill us will like us more.'"

Then he fired off the big gun, saying the paper's editorial board will "never get it until they [the terrorists] grab Michael Kinsley out of his little house and they cut his head off. And maybe when the blade sinks in, he'll go, 'Perhaps O'Reilly was right.'"

The Times counterattacked in a May 24 editorial. Questioning why people the U.S. has liberated from tyranny "don't love us," the paper stated, "It doesn?t seem worthy of decapitation to suggest that ghastly stories (not all fabricated by Newsweek) about abuse of prisoners don't help."

The Times has long had an ax to grind with Fox News. Much of the paper's anger no doubt comes from Fox's coverage of the Times' last-minute smear job on Arnold Schwarzenegger in the days leading up to the 2003 gubernatorial recall race.

For the moment, O'Reilly is in the liberal paper's crosshairs, warning: "O'Reilly should be careful. Any further decapitation fantasies could get him in serious trouble with the Secret Service."

It seems the paper has difficulty distinguishing between a threat and a "fantasy." And when it comes to actual threats against its employees, the paper may want to check with its lawyers on whom to contact.

The Secret Service deals with threats against the president and vice president, not editorial writers.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service [Re: Learyfan]
    #4222639 - 05/26/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

LA Times is liberal.

they prolly meant FBI

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service [Re: Learyfan]
    #4222694 - 05/26/05 03:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The LA Times makes a great bird cage liner and also is great for wrapping fish entrails. When I lived in the area, I subscribed to the Orange County Register.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4222701 - 05/26/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

O'Reilly's still a loud mouthed lout.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4223196 - 05/26/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't disrespect any pet of mine with either of those rags. Especially the OC register. As much as I am all for defecating on products of Orange country I wouldn't have the heart.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: LA Times threatens O'Reilly with Secret Service [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #4227734 - 05/27/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Man, the LA Times just is going out of its way to make sure everybody knows they're complete idiots.

The Secret Service? They won't give two shits.

Did O'Reilly say he would decapitate anyone? Nope. Did he WISH decapitation on anyone? Nope.

He merely stated that he believed Kinsley to be so thick-headed he would not understand the repercussions of his actions until he himself was a victim of them. No threat, no fantasy, just a bunch of idiots over at the LA Times who don't know what's going on.

Of course, he did put it in quite a crude, loud-mouthed manner.. but that's pretty much O'Reilly's selling point.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion