Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mylar Film, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
new place ='s new growroom :)
    #4220748 - 05/26/05 12:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

just moved to a new apartment (and country for that matter) and started my new room. I'm almost done, been running the room dry for a few days but i have yet to figure out a ventilation strategy. materials and construction-

i got a rubbermaid 80L container, a drill & bits, jigsaw, and hole-saw at canadian tire for like $100. drilled some holes in the top 6 for pots and one for airlines etc.

got netpots, 50L hydroton, pump, tds/pH meter, and airline for $400 but i got a good tds/pH meter and good pump the other stuff was less than $50 all together.

put it all together-

i ordered parts for a ballast and made it myself. it wasn't hard but i'd probably buy my next one because i didn't save that much money and would have had a warranty and piece of mind that it isn't going to blow up on me. i picked up a ghetto hood from the hydroshop for a deal since it was kinda beat and they didn't have any parts for it. i also found a 3" to 4" adapter (just one :frown:) so i cut a 4" flange to a 3" and used that for the other side. after everything including parts and tools i had to buy it was like $260 for that stuff.

i got some flashgrow (mylar that has threads through to prevent hot spots) and in-line fan, nutes, and probably a bunch of other stuff i'm not remembering atm. all in all it cost me like $1200 cnd to get setup. i could have done it way cheaper but wanted to do it right this time. last room i had was budget style and the buds were really good but i knew there was room for improvement. i rather have a little of really good bud that a lot of crappy shit :stoned:

anyone got any idea for ventilation? i can't take pics of the whole closet because there's a wall there and i can't get back far enough but to give you an idea of what i'm working with,

that's the light/fan in the growroom obviously. i originally mounted the fan there because my best idea was (and still is) to put a hole through the wall directly in front of that fan and run the exhaust out that way (the fan sucks air from the hood and blows out) there's a closet right next to it so i could still make it stealth and put holes in the walls. check it

on the right you got the grow room and you got the spare closet on the left and a wall in between. i was thinking exhaust through the wall into the closet, buying another in-line fan and putting it at the bottom of the closet (the closet is full of shelves and isn't that sealed so i don't think recirculating the heat from the light would be an issue) then i would get a cool growroom and an incubation chamber in that closet which is nice. i really want to minimize on the putting holes in walls that aren't mine thing though so if you have a suggestion let me know.

There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: new place ='s new growroom :) [Re: John]
    #4222151 - 05/26/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

That doesn't look like a load bearing wall, so it's probably just two pieces of sheet rock slapped on 2x4s. Rather than just cutting a whole through the wall, I would cut out a whole at the top and install a vent cover, so when it's time to move you can just leave the vent in and it would look somewhat normal and cut the same whole on the grow side. They have metal converters which go from the 3 or 4 inch diameter tubing to the long rectangular vents.
I don't know if that made sense but basically after you're done you could put vents in to cover up your wholes. They wouldn't be working vents but at least it wouldn't look too suspicious.

User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: new place ='s new growroom :) [Re: @cro]
    #4222994 - 05/26/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

or it is uber easy to patch the whole again. All you do is put a piece of wood, anything you can fit into the hole and drill into the drywall to support the wood. They use stucco to blend the gap and the screw depressions, paint and you are complete. No one would ever know it was there + it is actually stronger then the existing wall if anything ever actually bumps into it.

ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

V card
Re: new place ='s new growroom :) [Re: Fluxburn]
    #4224118 - 05/26/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

do you have a carbon filter in that fan? if not i highly recomened one as it will reduce your smell and they aren't t0p expensive. Plus you can make your own

Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: new place ='s new growroom :) [Re: @cro]
    #4224578 - 05/27/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah that's confusing man :stoned: i'll explain better what i had in mind nad tell me if it's much diffrent than what you said other than the vents. i was going to take a 4in hole-saw and drill out 4in circle in both sides of the wall hopefully in line. like you said the walls are just there for looks and not much to them. hopefully not a lot of wires inside. that's what i meant by hole. do them the same size as the ducting and then just pulling it through for a tight seal. also have to do the same thing to the bottom but in reverse so the room has good intake too. at first i was thinking to just cut a hole inside the room and vent into the wall but i think it's a bad fire hazard. so i was gonna just put it into the other closet and pull it through but a vent cover sounds good for the non-grow closet in case i had the door open to let heat out or something it would just look like ventilation.

i'm gonna have to patch the hole because the management knows there's not susposed to a hole there. i was think of keeping the disk i cut out and just stuff them back with wood glue and spacle so it would just be a small circulair line i'd have to make look good rather than a 4in hole. i'd patched big holes in walls before the size i need for this and i'm not really good enough to make it unnoticable. with just a tink circular line would be easy.

no carbon filter. i'm gonna get some of that ono stuff or whatever at the hydroshop, heard it's pretty good. last grow i used a giant hello neighbor, by venting the exhaust through a box of dryer sheets. worked really good. the ventilation for the building is also through the halls so there's always air pushing on my door towards the inside (like if i open the mail slot it's like turning on a strong computer fan=\) which will help smell from getting in the hall too much i think. but yeah if it starts looking like i need to do something about the smell i'll make one. just ime dryer sheets work just as well, but in a diffrent kind of way. dryer sheets basically just cover up the smell but it's really effective and makes your house smell nice :smile:  carbon actually gets rid of the smell so well see how it goes, thanks guys.

There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mylar Film, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden