Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo
    #4219779 - 05/25/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050526/ap_on_re_eu/britain_amnesty_report

Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo

By PAISLEY DODDS, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Amnesty International castigated the U.S. prison camp in Guantanamo Bay as a failure Wednesday, calling it "the gulag of our time" in the human rights group's harshest rebuke yet of American detention policies.

Amnesty urged Washington to shut down the prison at the U.S. Navy's base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where some 540 men are held on suspicion of links to Afghanistan's ousted Taliban regime or the al-Qaida terror network. Some have been jailed for more than three years without charge.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Amnesty's complaints were "ridiculous and unsupported by the facts." He said allegations of prisoner mistreatment are investigated.

"We hold people accountable when there's abuse. We take steps to prevent it from happening again. And we do so in a very public way for the world to see that we lead by example and that we do have values that we hold very dearly and believe in," McClellan told reporters.

In its annual report, Amnesty accused governments around the world of abandoning human rights protections. It said Sudan failed to protect its people from one of the world's worst humanitarian crises and charged Haiti promoted human rights abusers.

But one of the biggest disappointments in the human rights arena was with the United States, Amnesty said, "after evidence came to light that the U.S. administration had sanctioned interrogation techniques that violated the U.N. Convention against Torture."

"Guantanamo has become the gulag of our time," Amnesty Secretary General Irene Khan said as the London-based group issued a 308-page annual report that accused the United States of shirking its responsibility to set the bar for human rights protections.

The use of the term gulag refers to the extensive system of prison camps in the former Soviet Union, many in remote regions of Siberia and specifically designed to hold political prisoners. The Soviets took over the system from the czarist government and expanded it after the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. Untold thousands of prisoners of the so-called gulags died from hunger, cold, harsh treatment and overwork.

The prison camp at Guantanamo has been in the spotlight over the past year since the FBI cited cases of aggressive interrogation techniques and detainee mistreatment. The U.S. government has also been criticized for not charging or trying prisoners who are classified as enemy combatants, a vague distinction with fewer legal protections than prisoners of war get under the Geneva Conventions.

Some prisoners have challenged their detentions in U.S. courts but their cases are stalled by appeals filed by the U.S. government and subsequent arguments.

"Not a single case from some 500 men has reached the courts," Khan said.

In a statement, the Defense Department said that "the detention of enemy combatants is not criminal in nature, but to prevent them from continuing to fight against the United States in the War on Terrorism."

It also said that it continued to evaluate whether detainees should be sent home and that review tribunals "provided an appropriate venue for detainees to meaningfully challenge their enemy combatant designation."

"This is an unprecedented level of process being provided to our enemies in a time of war," the statement said.

The Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross, which has also been critical of practices at Guantanamo, is the only independent group to have access to the detainees. Amnesty has been refused access to the prison, although it was allowed to watch pretrial hearings for 15 detainees who have been charged.

Amnesty has frequently criticized U.S. detention policies instituted after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, but its latest report takes a harsher tone. It accuses Washington of trying to "sanitize" abuse of detainees and failing to give prisoners legal recourse to challenge their detentions.

The report also takes aim at recent abuse allegations that have surfaced in FBI documents as well as prisoner testimonies, echoing concerns from the International Committee of the Red Cross.

The Red Cross said last week it had told U.S. authorities of detainee allegations that Qurans had been desecrated. It also offered a rare public rebuke in late 2003, calling the prisoners' prolonged detentions "worrying."

Declassified FBI records released Wednesday showed that prisoners at Guantanamo Bay told U.S. interrogators as early as April 2002, just four months after the first detainees arrived from Afghanistan, that U.S. military guards abused them and desecrated the Quran.

Another detainee stated he had been beaten unconscious at Guantanamo Bay early in 2002, a period in which U.S. interrogators were pressing hard for information on al-Qaida.

Amnesty singled out Sudan as one of the worst violators of human rights last year for the devastation caused by conflict in its Darfur region. At least 180,000 people have died ? many from hunger and disease ? and about 2 million have fled their homes to escape fighting among rebels, militias and government troops.

Sudan's government not only turned its back on its people, but the United Nations and African Union took too long to try to help those suffering in Darfur, Amnesty said.

Amnesty also criticized the African Union and the international community for not taking action on Zimbabwe, where President Robert Mugabe's party has been accused of rigging elections, repressing opponents and driving agriculture to the brink of collapse.

In Haiti, human rights violators who led the rebellion that ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide last year were able to retake key positions, while the government struggled to maintain control from armed groups, Amnesty said.

The group accused Israeli soldiers of operating outside international law by using torture, destroying property and obstructing medical assistance in the West Bank and Gaza. It also condemned the deliberate targeting of Israeli civilians by Palestinian militants.

In Asia, people were jailed indefinitely without trial in Malaysia and Singapore, religious minorities were persecuted in China and Vietnam and security forces committed extra-judicial killings in Nepal, Thailand and Indonesia, Amnesty said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4219849 - 05/25/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

And yet again, Amnesty International sets a new record for barking moonbattery.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: Phred]
    #4221025 - 05/26/05 02:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah...those nuts and their crazy 'human rights' ideas, who the hell do they think they are?  :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4221040 - 05/26/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I hear that they are desecreating that Koran book of theirs down there...

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #4221538 - 05/26/05 07:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

And yet again, Amnesty International sets a new record for barking moonbattery.

Great analysis or boringly predictable reflex response?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: GazzBut]
    #4221623 - 05/26/05 09:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Great analysis or boringly predictable reflex response?

:whistling:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: GazzBut]
    #4222003 - 05/26/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Here are some excerpts from the first article I read about this latest claptrap from Amnesty International. Although the article appeared on the CNN website it is (surprise, surprise) from al-Reuters --

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/25/amnesty.report.reut/

Quote:

Four years after the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington, human rights are in retreat worldwide and the United States bears most responsibility, rights watchdog Amnesty International said on Wednesday.

The US bears the most responsibility? How in the world do they come to that conclusion? I would have said it was Osama bin Laden and his band of Merry Pranksters who bear the responsibility, but hey... I have a brain.

Quote:

From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe the picture is bleak. Governments are increasingly rolling back the rule of law, taking their cue from the U.S.-led war on terror, it said.

Yeah, right. Zimbabwe only started mistreating folks after the invasion of Afghanistan. Just how freaking stupid do they think their readers are? This is a staggering display of contempt for the intelligence of readers everywhere.

Quote:

"The USA as the unrivalled political, military and economic hyper-power sets the tone for governmental behavior worldwide," Secretary General Irene Khan said in the foreword to Amnesty International's 2005 annual report.

Sure, you bitter old Marxist sow. The kleptocrats running China, North Korea, Cambodia, Cuba, North Viet Nam, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Sudan... all of them read the American press every day in the hopes that they'll see a "green light" to start gouging out eyes, yanking out tongues, dismembering with machetes, jamming tires over the heads of folks and setting them on fire, tossing them into concentration camps and starving them to death, raping family members in front of their eyes, etc.

Because, you know, it just wouldn't be RIGHT to do any of that before an American guard somewhere touched the Koran of a Muslim detainee while searching his cell.

Quote:

"When the most powerful country in the world thumbs its nose at the rule of law and human rights, it grants a licence to others to commit abuse with impunity," she said.

"Thumbs it nose"? "Impunity"? This demented LLL moonbat must have missed the part about how it was the freaking Pentagon that unearthed and reported to the world the goings on at Abu Ghraib in the first place. She must also have missed the part where those responsible for it have been imprisoned. Drink more koolaid, Irene. It's good for you.

Quote:

London-based Amnesty cited the pictures last year of abuse of detainees at Iraq's U.S.-run Abu Ghraib prison, which it said were never adequately investigated, and the detention without trial of "enemy combatants" at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

Just how many freaking more investigations do you want, comrade? Gimme a break.

Quote:

"The detention facility at Guantanamo Bay has become the gulag of our times, entrenching the practice of arbitrary and indefinite detention in violation of international law," Khan said.

And yet more hyperbolic LLL redefining of terms. There are 540 prisoners at Guantanamo, receiving excellent treatment. Some have even been released to go back to the battlefield and kill again. In the REAL Gulags, at least 20 million Soviet political prisoners starved, froze to death, were worked to death, or died untreated of disease. Many credible sources swear that number is unrealistically low.

540 living in the tropics vs more than 20 million dead in Siberia. You do the math.

There's no point commenting further on this fever dream. Facts don't matter to beings of this ilk. Their preconceptions are completely unshakeable. This report has less credibility than the average article in the National Enquirer.

Phred

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: Seuss]
    #4222036 - 05/26/05 12:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Thanx god amnesty international even exists. Its not NBC or Fox that are going dig up these kind of news for you. This is the kind of thing that the bush administration hates, people investigating what's going down.It'd probably be a great relief for them if amnesty could somehow suddenly disappear. Actually they probably don't give a shit.
Uncle Sam:"I AM the law!"

It seems no one has the balls to say things as they are anymore.

Seriously though, i've seen documentaries concerning this very special prison, and its quite awful they way they are treated in there. The fact that there's torture is something you can't argue against. And what's worse may not even be physical torture, but psychological torture. They make them go insane. I could tell you all the methods used, but its too disheartening.

And then, when the people in charge decide that, after three years of "interrogation", this person or that person is innocent, they just send them back to their country, with nothing else said to them, not even the reason why they were arrested in the first place.

:thumbdown: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: exclusive58]
    #4222177 - 05/26/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Phred, the thing is, here we have a nation going to war in the name of "freedom and liberty", here we have an administration who's foreign policies are supposedly acted out for "the good of mankind" and in order to install "peace" in the world. But the reality is that, in America's own backyard, none of these notions are respected. Basic human rights are violated.

How are foreign countries supposed to be interpreting this? The US is sending contradictary signals, and this has influence on other coutrie's policies concerning the respect of things such as the Geneva conevention. They go, "well, AMERICA isn't respecting it, so why should we?" After all, aren't leaders supposed to be an example?

America used to be a symbol for freedom, but now it's symbol is this:  :wtf:

See, now we know, and this is what Amnesty International is telling us: America can talk the talk, but it cannot walk the walk.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4222254 - 05/26/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
The US bears the most responsibility? How in the world do they come to that conclusion? I would have said it was Osama bin Laden and his band of Merry Pranksters who bear the responsibility, but hey... I have a brain.

You have a brain, but you are also wearing very large blinders. Osama Bin Laden and his band of Merry Pranksters do not run any governments, nor do they provide foreign aid to governments, nor do they provide military equipment to governments, nor do they provide military training to governments (not that I'm aware of - please correct me if I'm wrong). The U.S. government funnels massive amounts of money and provides material support and training to oppressive regimes the world over. The U.S. government also has moved to take away rights of it's own citizens - ever heard of the various misnamed 'Patriot' acts? The U.S. government has also been shipping human beings to torture friendly regimes for treatment. That 9/11 has provided the cover for these actions is true. However, the response of the U.S. government in the area of human rights and human liberty has been dismal and the responsibility for the nature of that response rests solely with U.S. government officials and their supporters.

Quote:

"Thumbs it nose"? "Impunity"? This demented LLL moonbat must have missed the part about how it was the freaking Pentagon that unearthed and reported to the world the goings on at Abu Ghraib in the first place.

The demented moon bat is right on this point (see my comments above). It's my understanding that yes, the Pentagon reported the story, but it was only when they realized that it was going to come out and they needed to get a head start with the proper spin. What is amazing is that they could keep it under wraps for as long as they did.

I take no issue with your other comments, but I try to look at these things objectively.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: exclusive58]
    #4222262 - 05/26/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

"Sending contradictory signals"? That is utter bullshit.

The US has probably as good a human rights record as just about any country.

The US is sending signals, all right... it's just that no one bothers to actually read them. I repeat -- it was the Pentagon that uncovered and publicized the Abu Ghraib affair. They ran several investigations, and punished -- severely -- those responsible. The message the US sent on that one is, "we don't put up with this kind of horseshit". In far too many other countries, the perpetrators wouldn't have been punished, they would have been promoted. And their governments would have hushed up all news of it ever happening in the first place.

Besides, what does it say of the moral fiber of other countries that they have no morals of their own, just borrow whatever they perceive to be the morals in the US? "See, the US does it, so it must be right!" they squeal, while simultaneously condemning everything else the US does as "Capitalistic exploitation". And yet they never seem to notice this contradiction.

For Amnesty International to blame an increase in human rights violations on the US is so jaw-droppingly stupid a statement that I quite literally haven't the vocabularly to sufficiently express just how ridiculous a statement it is. I'll have to invent whole new words here. I mean, do these people honestly think their readers are retarded? Irene Khan can't honestly have thought anyone with an IQ higher than pocket lint and even a passing knowledge of the real world would buy that crapola, so what was her point in going on record with it? I don't get it. Did she deliberately set out to make herself a laughingstock? Why on earth would she want to do that?

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4222283 - 05/26/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

It's my understanding that yes, the Pentagon reported the story, but it was only when they realized that it was going to come out and they needed to get a head start with the proper spin. What is amazing is that they could keep it under wraps for as long as they did.

Your understanding is incomplete. The first mention of the events that took place there was in a press briefing three days after the whistle-blower tipped his superiors. The first commission to look into it was formed a week later. By the time the photos came out, the first investigation had been completed and a broader one was under way. This event was not "uncovered" by the press, rather it was voluntarily disclosed by the Pentagon.

The Pentagon by no means tried to "keep it under wraps". Their continuing reports in press releases and press conferences are all a matter of public record. Whenever there was something new to report, they did so.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4222911 - 05/26/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Phred, come on now. Even though the "insurgents" practise such random-acts-of-beauty as chopping head off of aid workers and journalists, we are the evil ones. I mean, we took people that were training to kill us and IMPRISONED them. Shame on us.

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4222926 - 05/26/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Also, if one were to look at www.amnesty.org, you'd see that their headlines deal with China and the Republic of Congo.

http://web.amnesty.org/report2005/usa-summary-eng

Geez man, compared to the rest of teh world, we are flower chilren. "The US is holding prisoners" - Hey, no fucking shit, remember how those prisoners want to kill and destroy us?

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: SoopaX]
    #4225240 - 05/27/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

""The US is holding prisoners" - Hey, no fucking shit, remember how those prisoners want to kill and destroy us? "

How do you know that? Do you know how these prisoners get taken away? I've seen it: US soldiers get orders to force into a family's house (in the middle of the night), turn the whole house upside down to see if anything can be found, and wether or not something is found, they take away the person they were looking to arrest, put him in the truck, and off to Cuba or whatever other prison he goes. All this is witnessed by screaming mothers and crying children, who have no idea wtf is going on and why their father/husband is taken away. Not a word is said to them, no reason is given, all they say is to calm down (which is impossible given the violence used by the soldiers, they are far from being delicate at this).

AND not a single case from these 500 people has reached the court. No proof of anything is given, and i'd say that about 70% of these people are innocent.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#4225598 - 05/27/05 08:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think the point being made here is that a) the US have contributed to the increase in humans rights transgressions through Guantanomo and Abu-Ghraib and b) these transgressions set a precedent for other nations to increase their own human rights violations.

Buy hey I thought that was obvious...

Quote:

Yeah, right. Zimbabwe only started mistreating folks after the invasion of Afghanistan. Just how freaking stupid do they think their readers are? This is a staggering display of contempt for the intelligence of readers everywhere.

Show me where it says in the article that "Zimbabwe only started mistreating folks after the invasion of Afghanistan."

Have humans rights abuses increased in Zimbabwe since the start of the War on Terror? Probabaly. Have they taken their cue from the US? I dont know.

Quote:

Sure, you bitter old Marxist sow.

So you dont believe the US sets the tone for governmental behaviour worldwide? Im not saying that they have massive influence over the likes of the Chinese etc but then again nor is the article. Only you said that.

Quote:

This demented LLL moonbat must have missed the part about how it was the freaking Pentagon that unearthed and reported to the world the goings on at Abu Ghraib in the first place.

Can you provide a source for that?

Quote:

Just how many freaking more investigations do you want, comrade? Gimme a break.

The statement suggested there had not been an adequate investigation. It didnt say there had not been enough

Quote:

There are 540 prisoners at Guantanamo, receiving excellent treatment.

Independent source?

Quote:

Some have even been released to go back to the battlefield and kill again.

Independent source?

Quote:

Their preconceptions are completely unshakeable.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Thats a good one coming from you Phreddy boy!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Amnesty Takes Aim at 'Gulag' in Guantanamo [Re: SoopaX]
    #4225603 - 05/27/05 08:26 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Geez man, compared to the rest of teh world, we are flower chilren. "The US is holding prisoners" - Hey, no fucking shit, remember how those prisoners want to kill and destroy us?

I think you mean compared to the very worst the world has to offer you dont look so bad. But thats hardly something to be getting too excited about now, is it?

Just in case you didnt read the article, Amnesrty point out that the US is "by no means the sole or even the worst offender as murder, mayhem and abuse of women and children spread to the four corners of the globe"

Their point is the US have a responsibility to be whiter than white and set an example to the rest of the civilised world. You may disagree but as your Presidents like to proclaim themselves as the leaders of the free world I dont really see how you can argue.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion