Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism
    #4218329 - 05/25/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

link

Thought this article brought up some interesting points regarding liberal academic bias:

Quote:

Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism

Not content with their monopoly atop the perches of power, conservatives have let loose their dogs of war into America's universities to both root out liberal bogeymen and relieve their besieged comrades. Conservatives have been quick to frame their aims at academia as not an attempt to expand their political holdings, but as an effort to rectify a grave injustice. Conservatives claim that liberal bias in higher education is so widespread that it amounts to a vast left wing conspiracy. In other words, our universities are turning the winners of seven of the last ten presidential elections into helpless victims. Someone please, cue the violins.

In December, two national studies monitoring the voting preferences of professors were published. The results were predictable: On the high end, thirty times as many anthropologists and sociologists voted Democratic as voted Republican. On the low end were-you guessed it-economists! They favored Democrats by a mere three to one ratio. The national average among professors was a 15:1 Democratic advantage.

Conservatives howled with delight, citing these studies as evidence of institutional discrimination against their cohorts. They demanded action, equity, and above all, more professors in cowboy boots. Suddenly, the ideologues who oppose affirmative action for underprivileged minorities in colleges are demanding it for themselves.

To be sure, just by walking around the corridors of professor offices in Humanities you can see unflattering characterizations of the President hanging proudly on some doors. I can't imagine how off putting that could be for a devoutly conservative student. I had an eye doctor once who asked me if Jesus was my best friend; maybe it feels something like that. Some departments' departure into deep left field is partly to blame for the dearth of Republican-voting academics. But by no stretch of the imagination is it the whole problem. The study also shows that academics in the hard sciences voted for Democrats just as much their social studies colleagues. As Jonathon Chait observes, "Are we to believe that physics departments everywhere suppress conservative quantum theorists?"

If it's not liberal bias that is preventing professors from voting with the GOP, what is it? I must admit the devil in me wants to agree with Robert Brandon of Duke's philosophy department, who says "We try to hire the best, smartest people available. If, as John Stuart Mill said, stupid people are generally conservative, then there are lots of conservatives we will never hire."

Hyperbole aside, maybe Brandon's on to something here. Consider the anti-intellectualism that has become a campaign hallmark for the GOP during the last decade. It's a standard GOP political ploy that has been utilized with great effect, especially against some long-winded Democrats. In 2000, Bush publicly ridiculed Al Gore for using both big words and numbers.

In 2004, when John Kerry stated that Bush was not recognizing all the intrinsic nuances of the Iraq war, Bush rebuked him with "We don't nuance in Texas." Irrespective of the larger question, this sentence at least illustrates why the majority of English departments voted for Kerry: They wanted complete sentences back in the White House.

In last week's issue of The New Republic, GOP congressmen and probable 2008 presidential candidate Tom Tancredo said that "America needs saving from the cult of multi-culturalism." How is a professor who studies other cultures supposed to endorse this mantra of governance?

Furthermore, the conservative voting bloc that is responsible for the Bush ascendancy has lost any connection with its once proud intellectual roots. Gone are the days when intellectual titans like Leo Strauss and William F. Buckley Jr. held sway over the American conservative movement. Today's GOP has abandoned the dialectic in favor of the theocratic dictates of "family values." In Ohio, a Republican state senator has introduced legislation that would monitor the curriculum of all Ohio's university courses. A Republican supporter of the bill recently explained why the bill was necessary: "Parents were tired of paying taxes for education and then finding out their kids are being taught things that do not reflect their family values." I'm sure intellectuals around the country will be thrilled to learn that the GOP will soon be replacing the liberal theories of John Locke and John Rawls with the cuddly conservatism of "VeggieTales." If this anti-intellectualism continues, in a few years any Republican who owns a thesaurus will qualify as an intellectual.

The blame for the lack of Republicans on college campuses does not lie at the feet of America's academic institutions, but rather the real culprit is the conservative movement itself. Consider the following: Last year Alabama state representative Gerald Allen introduced a bill to "withhold taxpayer funding for books that promote homosexuality by featuring gay characters."

So when a GOP leader suggested we take American classics like The Color Purple and "dig a hole and dump them in it," were fellow conservatives outraged? No. In fact, he was invited to the White House to discuss with the President ways in which to "defeat pro-homosexual propaganda." This sums up the lack of conservative intellectuals pretty well. When liberals come across a book they don't agree with they prefer to read it. Conservatives, on the other hand, want it burned and buried. And conservatives wonder why they're not in our universities.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Silversoul]
    #4218391 - 05/25/05 12:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What interesting points might those be? All I saw was the standard Leftie "neocons R idiots" mantra repeated in various ways, sprinkled with a few examples of less than stellar rhetoric from politicians looking to buy votes.

A completely worthless editorial.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Phred]
    #4218496 - 05/25/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

so, the GOP isnt anti-intellectual?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Vvellum]
    #4218521 - 05/25/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"We try to hire the best, smartest people available. If, as John Stuart Mill said, stupid people are generally conservative, then there are lots of conservatives we will never hire."

Another great example of how the liberals think all conservatives are stupid.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4218587 - 05/25/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

What is Liberal Bias? Saying you don't like the president or the direction this country is taking? Well... I guess I have liberal bias.

Intelligent conservatives are out there, you just have to hunt for them. Go to a typical Wal-Mart and hand out IQ tests and ask for the people to write in which political persuasion they lean towards, see what happens.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4218630 - 05/25/05 01:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think neo-con policies of screwing over environmental issues, and underfunding education, in the interest of having a pointless war does a lot more for an intellectual liberal bias. I don't think that means that educated people are biased against conservatives because they're stupid, in this case actions speak louder than words...
Not to mention a lot of religious right-wingers are very intelligent, they just tend not to worry about things like foreign relations, or the environment, because they know the rapture is coming soon anyway...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Kalix]
    #4219231 - 05/25/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Social engineering is supported by well-off, pseudo-intellectuals (read: college professors) around the world.

Anyone who has been to college knows the arrogance that is rampant amongst many professors. They are part of an elite group that thinks they know what is best for everyone...a perfect fit with liberal ideology.

I guess you could look at conservatism being "anti-intellectual" in that respect. It emphasizes personal responsability which works against the "social leader" role that professors try to play.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #4219323 - 05/25/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

good article and some very interesting statistics...

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Catalysis]
    #4219339 - 05/25/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

They are part of an elite group that thinks they know what is best for everyone...

sounds like a good description for neoconservatives and christian fundamentalists.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4219353 - 05/25/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
What interesting points might those be? All I saw was the standard Leftie "neocons R idiots" mantra repeated in various ways, sprinkled with a few examples of less than stellar rhetoric from politicians looking to buy votes.

A completely worthless editorial.

Phred

Stupidity and anti-intellectualism are not the same thing.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #4219400 - 05/25/05 05:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps you might try reading National Review sometime if you think conservatism is anti-intellectual. William F. Buckley is still alive.

Also, anthropology and socialogy are pretty liberal disciplines to begin with, and the premise of most of their research is liberal cultural philosophy and marxist analysis. I'm sure lots of people in "gender" and "diversity" studies are liberal too, that doesn't prove they have a monopoly on intellecualism.

I think the aftermath of the sixties was a long standing institution of left-leaning academia who do what they can to defend their power. Alot of it is just that the the academic tradition has become so infused with liberal thought that you can't take them apart.

The other part I think is just personality styles. Less factual and more emotional relativists usually end up as journalists, artists and academics. Post-modern thought probobly has much to do with this. Utilitarian republicans usually end up teaching history, or business or working in the private sector.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Edited by Divided_Sky (05/25/05 06:33 PM)

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4219509 - 05/25/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

How are current conservatives economically conservative? I sure don't see it.

As a whole I consider modern conservatives to be corporatists. Since government as it appears to me is no longer working for the people in general but rather working for corporations this article makes sense. The conservatives in power increase corporate power while screwing over true capitalism thus making it harder for the little guy to increase his stature. As this happens the divide between rich and power increases. With an increasing lower-middle to lower class the government has to appeal to them to stay in power. Those in power who happen to be conservatives change their tactics and appeal to the common, uneducated man.

Knowledge is teh gay being uneducated is for real men.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4219753 - 05/25/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Perhaps you might try reading National Review sometime if you think conservatism is anti-intellectual. William F. Buckley is still alive.

Yes, William F. Buckley is still around, and the National Review is quite intellectual. What this article is pointing out is that people like Buckley no longer represent the mainstream conservative movement.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Kalix]
    #4219840 - 05/25/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Kalix said:
I think neo-con policies of underfunding education

Not according to this site and these statistics:

If money were the solution to the problems in America?s schools, those problems would have been solved long ago. Since Republicans took control of Congress eight years ago, federal education funding has increased significantly. Funding for the U.S. Department of Education has increased by 132 percent under GOP control of the House, from $23 billion in FY1996 to more than $53 billion in FY2003. In addition, the FY2004 spending measure will provide yet another boost for education funding, to nearly $56 billion.

President Bush and Republicans promised education funding would increase significantly under the No Child Left Behind Act, and would be linked for the first time to accountability for results. This is exactly what has occurred. Funding for major elementary and secondary education programs, including special education, has increased 34 percent in just the first two years of the bipartisan education reform measure.

Congressional Republicans have approved an FY2004 spending measure that provides the third consecutive major increase in federal education spending since NCLB was enacted, linked to accountability for results. As a result of NCLB, the federal government is now spending far more money for elementary and secondary education than at any other time in the history of our country.

Following are highlights from the final FY2004 education appropriations measure Republicans approved in November 2003.

Overall funding for the U.S. Department of Education is increased by $2.9 billion. The $56 billion in total discretionary funding for federal education is an all-time high. Under President Bush, in just three years the Education Department?s overall funding will have increased by $13.8 billion.

Title I aid to needy and disadvantaged students is increased to $12.41 billion. The $720 million increase in FY2004 would be the third significant increase in Title I funding as a result of the No Child Left Behind Act. In FY2003, Title I funding was increased by $1.3 billion, which was on top of the $1.6 billion increase provided in FY 2002. That means Title I spending has increased more during the first two years of President George W. Bush?s Administration than it did during the previous eight years combined under President Clinton ? and the FY2004 appropriation will increase funding further still.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Vvellum]
    #4222225 - 05/26/05 11:22 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
so, the GOP isnt anti-intellectual?

no, all those government scientists, researches and public
servants who have been fired, quit or had their findings
squashed in the name of mcfreedom are just leftist quacks.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4222998 - 05/26/05 02:36 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe we could ask why all of these uber-genius liberals can't manage to get a real job :smile:

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #4225621 - 05/27/05 06:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the article. Obviously the issue of the liberal bias in higher education is so complex that it cannot be reduced to one factor such as 'anti-intellectualism of the conservative movement' but this article does bring up an interesting point that perhaps this is a factor--along with the other causatory and correlatory factors. In addition to the factor of anti-intellctualism in mainstream conservatism I would add:

-The left usually wanting to put more money into education than the right
-The tendency of higher education-->skepticism-->secularism-->liberal social values (not economic ones, but the values shared in common by classic [libertarian] liberals and modern liberals) which has become conspicuously deteriorating in the republican party.
-A snowball effect once the liberal culture became established in higher education--both in hiring practices and applicant pools.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4226048 - 05/27/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

"We try to hire the best, smartest people available. If, as John Stuart Mill said, stupid people are generally conservative, then there are lots of conservatives we will never hire."

Another great example of how the liberals think all conservatives are stupid.

more like a great example of you seeing what you want to believe! The guy said IF!!!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #4226858 - 05/27/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

They demanded action, equity, and above all, more professors in cowboy boots. Suddenly, the ideologues who oppose affirmative action for underprivileged minorities in colleges are demanding it for themselves

This is the best part of the article.  When affirmative action is working against you its inequality when your part of a minority its required to quash a conspiracy.  :rolleyes:(I'm admentally opposed to any form of affirmative action)

More liberals apply for higher education jobs than conervatives, thats a fact.  Just like more whites apply fot college than anybody else.  If they want to change that they'll have to work for it by applying for those jobs and not whining about it.  I don't remember the last time anybody bithced about how there is an inequal politcal stance among CEOs of the country.

Conservatives are soo good at playing the victim.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Liberal bias result of GOP anti-intellectualism [Re: Tao]
    #4230066 - 05/28/05 01:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tao said:
In addition to the factor of anti-intellctualism in mainstream conservatism I would add:

-The left usually wanting to put more money into education than the right
-The tendency of higher education-->skepticism-->secularism-->liberal social values (not economic ones, but the values shared in common by classic [libertarian] liberals and modern liberals) which has become conspicuously deteriorating in the republican party.
-A snowball effect once the liberal culture became established in higher education--both in hiring practices and applicant pools.

very well put.

i would add that i think there is a faction of the neo-conservative movement that is quite intellectual - namely, the economic-side of it (represented by the WTO, World Bank, IMF, et al). They certainly aren't the hat-tossin' cowboys that has become the public face of neo-conservatism, but they are still in the background, punching numbers into machines...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom