Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlueDogAnchorite
The jury arecoming, comingto tear me apart
Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium?
    #4218298 - 05/25/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

My catfish has just finished harvesting the first flush from two Yangon grow kits. However, there were only two largish shrooms out of the whole flush and these were the first to form in each kit. The rest were small and stunted, and some of them seemed a bit warty at the upper part of the stem.

From what I have read I think that the humidity was too high.
The container has a 1.5" thick layer of perlite.
Because a water heater is used, water was poured into the container until the water/perlite layer had risen up to 2.5"

So was the humidity too high?

OK, I think I did something stupid. There were large chunks of mycelium popping up above the surface. When harvesting the flush, I pulled clumps of the mycelium out as well. I was under the impression that the mycelium contains psilocybin too. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :confused:

Two problems though.

1. There are big chunks in the surface of the kits now, I was thinking of patching them up with extra vermiculite before dunking them.

2.There's loads of vermiculite stuck to the mycelium, and it takes ages to pull it all off  :frown:. I was planning on putting em all in a blender with water and then maybe the little bits of vermiculite won't matter.

What do you guys think I should do? :grin:

--------------------
If god is all powerful, then the devil must be nothing more than a darkness in the mind of god, however if the devil is something real and seperate then perfection is impossible and god cannot exist, except in the aspirations of fallen angels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineselar_doir
boner sponge

Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: BlueDogAnchorite]
    #4218349 - 05/25/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

"What do you guys think I should do?"

I think you shouldn't let a catfish cultivate.

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: selar_doir]
    #4218431 - 05/25/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

kits suck.
but, to answer your question better, it would help if you told us a little bit more.
is the "kit" a casing or a cake... or what is it? (maybe a link)
cakes arte going to need more R/H, whereas casings have a casing layer to help retain moisture, and require slightly less than cakes.

do you mist it?

any air exchange? how? how much?

Quote:

2.There's loads of vermiculite stuck to the mycelium, and it takes ages to pull it all off . I was planning on putting em all in a blender with water and then maybe the little bits of vermiculite won't matter.

What do you guys think I should do? 

when the tissue is dry, it will be much easier to remove the verm.
try an old toothbrush.
:zoom:

--------------------

OfflineBlueDogAnchorite
Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: psilocyben]
    #4219195 - 05/25/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I was using two grow kits, They come in plastic tubs, I guess that makes them a casing. There is a hole in the grow chamber for the water heater to go into, but I plugged this up with cotton wool.
I didn't mist. I squirted some water down the sides of the kits where the gaps appeared, towards the end of the flush.

So it's worth..... using the mycelium as well huh?
Should I refill the craters in the surface of the kits with vermiculite before I dunk though? I was going to dunk soon.

--------------------
If god is all powerful, then the devil must be nothing more than a darkness in the mind of god, however if the devil is something real and seperate then perfection is impossible and god cannot exist, except in the aspirations of fallen angels.

OfflineBlueDogAnchorite
Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: BlueDogAnchorite]
    #4219735 - 05/25/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Woah, seriously I could do with some quick answers here. I need to dunk them soon.

This is what the kits look like.
http://www.shroom-u-like.co.uk/pics/likethis.jpg

Thanks for the info Psilocyben. Could anyone answer a few more things please, because I am going to munch the mushrooms tomorrow!

1. Was the humidity too high? I kind of need to know or I'm not going to learn from this

2. Are The bits of mycelium and parts that join the shrooms together edible? I would have thought that they would contain psilocybin too.
But When I have bought from head shops, the shrooms are never covered in any mycelium or joined together like mine are.

3.Should I refill the craters in the surface of the kits with vermiculite before I dunk?

OK, thanks guys I've been asking a lot of questions recently, but besides from my incompetence, you've all helped me a lot :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#4220206 - 05/25/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

how the fuck does a catfish harvest mushrooms? and why would you pour an inch of water in your casing and make everything float? you sir, did NOT follow directions. now, go read every casing tek ** http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/8 **
and no, don't patch then dunk, that will just make the vermiculite float off.

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinedivinityinfinity
Hot LittleMuffin

Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: Optx]
    #4220681 - 05/25/05 10:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Ok seriously, catfish are the sketchiest of all the fish to be letting cultivate your shrooms. I let my angelfish do it a couple times, but they did more swimming in thier tank then cultivating.

1. i have no idea
2. recently my newfound knowledge tells me yes. check out the tea thread! pretty crazy!
3. i dont think it could hurt

OfflineBlueDogAnchorite
Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: divinityinfinity]
    #4232615 - 05/29/05 06:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not going to pull chunks of mycelium out next time though, it just seems like I'm damaging the kit.

I put so much water in the chamber because of my water heater, maybe this made the chamber too humid, anyway there's a lot less water than there was before now.

I made a big mistake when dunking. I should have sealed up the gaps between the casing and the sides, because almost the entire bottom half of the kits floated up through the gaps (I think this looked like perlite). I hope they're still be okay!

--------------------

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

#4232680 - 05/29/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

im still kinda new to all this myself.. but you dont dunk casing, just cakes dont you.. if u dunked a casing you would ruin it.. just cover with tinfoil or shrink wrap and put in the fridge for 24 hrs.
and why are u pulling chunks of mycilum off your casing?? your just damaging/slowing down growth becuase now the mycilum has to repair itself. and your humidity should be 85-95%. and temps for fruiting 75-85 deg. F. atleast thast what im doign and its working like a charm!!:)

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: psilocyben]
    #4232708 - 05/29/05 07:42 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyben said:
kits suck.
:zoom:

Ummm...look at this and be proven wrong :-)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3031528/page//fpart/1/vc/1

Check that thread out also, there is lots of experimentation with that kit.

Edited by myndreach (05/29/05 07:54 AM)

OfflineCaptAmazing
Stranger
Re: Was the humidity too high? And a question about the Mycelium? [Re: myndreach]
    #4233018 - 05/29/05 10:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if your water was covering the perlite then you probably had a reduced humidity. the way perlite works is it soaks up water and increases the water air contact area. by covering the perlite in water you might as well just take the perlite out of there, and saved money. whenever you pick shrooms you will get some roots. if youre really worried about this sterilise a knife/scalpel and cut close to the base.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates