Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Swiss Consider Unified Drug Policy
    #4218968 - 05/25/05 05:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Swiss Consider Unified Drug Policy
May 25, 2005 - jointogether.org

An influential advisory panel is urging the Swiss government to adopt a drug policy that includes all psychoactive substances, including alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, and illicit drugs.

Swissinfo reported May 23 that the federal drug commission led by Francois van der Linde said that the strategy needs to focus on "four pillars" of policy: prevention, therapy, harm reduction, and law enforcement.

"We need to get away from making moral judgments on drugs and behavior and opt for more pragmatism," said van der Linde.

The commission said the combined approach would still allow policymakers to decide which substances to ban or make legal, but would help ensure that substances with similar effects would not be treated differently under the law.

Swiss Interior Minister Pascal Couchepin praised the report for "the innovative approach taken by the authors of the report, who believe that it is better to combat addiction on a broad front rather than focus solely on the fight against drugs, whether they be illegal drugs, tobacco, alcohol or medication."

Michel Graf, director of the Institute for the Prevention of Alcohol and Drug Addiction, said of the report: "This is politically very courageous and dares to break a taboo. It recognizes that alcohol and tobacco are psychoactive substances like cannabis and other drugs."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Swiss Consider Unified Drug Policy [Re: veggie]
    #4219520 - 05/25/05 07:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't get exactly what they're trying to do. Are they going to apply anti-drug policies to tobacco and alcohol or such? How will they decide which drugs are similar in effects? I would say Xanax is similar in effects to alcohol, but I doubt they'll start selling that at package stores.

The Swiss need to be explained.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Swiss Consider Unified Drug Policy [Re: Ravus]
    #4221472 - 05/26/05 06:42 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds to me as if they are saying we have to consider all drugs, even substances like alcohol and tabacco, when making drug policy. If we are going to outlaw cannabis or mushrooms because of XYZ, then we have to outlaw other drugs such as alcohol and tobacco because of XYZ. If we want alcohol and tabacco to be legal, then other drugs with similiar or less dangers also need to be legal. I think it is a step it the right direction, if I understand it correctly.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Swiss Consider Unified Drug Policy [Re: Seuss]
    #4222852 - 05/26/05 04:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Honestly, that is an ingenious way to legalize drugs. If politicians realized alcohol and tobacco are just as or even more harmful than illegal drugs, and are forced to criminalize them, the people will get in an uproar and demand it repealed.

In a perfect case scenario that is. In reality, they'd probably just get in an uproar and have this unified drug policy revealed, so that harmful cannabis would stay illegal while harmless alcohol and tobacco are still available.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service