Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: moog]
    #4180558 - 05/16/05 12:49 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

This FAQ can give you the basics, there are better FAQ's out there but this one is MINE :lol:

http://home.comcast.net/~texture/linux.html

Google is your friend... www.linuxquestions.org is also a must for anyone new to Linux

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: debianlinux]
    #4182552 - 05/16/05 04:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
just to throw out some FYIs gleaned from above.

Ubuntu is based on Debian. In fact, it may well become the fork that obsoletes Debian.

Highly doubtful that Ubuntu will obsolete debian...  Ubuntu, Knoppix, MEPIS, and other debian based distros depend upon debian's infrastructure.  Ubuntu is basically debian with a different security model (one which most hardcore debian-ers disagree with) and a (much much much) more n00b user friendly approach.

Debian is the race car you drive once you are skilled enough.  Ubuntu, MEPIS, whatever is the little governed go-cart you start out with.  By the same token, gentoo is another race car, (but I don't like how it handles, so I choose Debian) while I'll call Redhat and Mandrake big jalopies.

Quote:

whoever installed Slackware and said the onboard sound was too old was wrong. The older the tech the more likely it is to be supported. I'm not saying that Slack did support it, tho.

Of course slack didn't support it.  Now, whether the kernel version he was using supported it or had the proper modules for it, that's another matter altogether...  He probably forgot to something like turn the volume up on his mixer or add himself to a group or two :tongue:

Quote:

automan said:
the second best was debian, but that too was a total pain to install.

Which version of debian and the installer?  Woody was a bit of a pain to install, true, but (maybe it's just because I've done so much with woody?) Sarge's NetInstall was a fuckin' breeze.

Quote:

moog said:
First of all, why I picked Ubuntu: the default gnome interface was very minimal and simple, and I like that. KDE, to me, seemed a little more bloated. Also, I liked the fact that I don't have to deal directly with the root account if I don't want to. Make things easy on the newbie.

Also is quite a bit insecure, but hey, that's one of those security model differences I was talking about :smile:...  Anyway, you seem to have chosen your distro based on your window manager.  This is a mistake...  Because you can use any window manager you want!  I suggest giving fluxbox and openbox (don't forget to get some docks) a try if you like the minimalist approach (I do).

Quote:

Dmonikal said:
Linux will not run windows games by itself.

Linux will not do anything by itself.

Quote:

WineX will (a windows game emulator for Linux),

*cough* now Cedaga

Quote:

but the selection is rather limited and only the most popular games will have any support at all. Even then most of the supported games will run badly, with all sorts of graphical and other glitches (like the mouse icon in the game unmovable).

Sounds like a personal problem.

Quote:

If gaming is important to you, do not bother with Linux at all.

Lots of gamers, and I mean true hardcore gamers, to which gaming is very important, run linux *exclusively*.

Quote:

There are also very few native Linux games.

:lol: :rotfl: HAHAHAHA!!!  There's fucking thousands of native linux games!  Nowadays, many popular games, such as UT, are shipping with linux versions...  Back in the day, we relied on people like LokiGames to port them for us.

... And in closing, if you really really really start missing that Winblows program or feel, check out XP Desktop Environment and Crossover Office which blows WineX away.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineOOOO
Stranger
    #4194960 - 05/19/05 12:48 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i've been running linux for a little while. it's free and open source, and so is pretty much everything that runs on it. i like that. it's generally more secure than windows. viruses don't attack it. nor does any sort of malware. it's more stable (my system has never crashed, or even slowed down, after weeks of uptime between reboots.) you never need to defragment your disk. it's very customizable and powerful. i find it to perform better than windows. you can find an open source alternative for just about every windows compatible app out there. and most of them are better IMO.

linux comes in different flavors ("linux" only refers to the kernel itself, everything else is created and maintained by other open-source projects, most notably GNU.) i've been running debian since i started with linux. people say it's not a good newbie distro. i wouldn't know, as i have nothing with which to compare it. i've heard that slackware and suse are good distros, especially for those just starting out.

you'll have a choice of desktop environments\window managers. the two big DE's are KDE and GNOME. there are many simple window managers. i like KDE because i like KDE apps and i like a desktop that looks pretty. i used the window manager fluxbox for a while, and still have it installed, but it works funny with some of KDE's stuff. fluxbox is an excellent choice if you have a slower machine or want maximum performance (the main complaint about KDE seems to be that it's slow and bloated. works fine for me.)

i would never go back to windows. linux (or freeBSD) is the way computing is supposed to be. we get enough big corporate bullshit, advertizing, political influence, etc. etc. during our daily lives. it's nice to be able to avoid it on one's computer. i get on my friends' windows computers and it's like... the trial period on this is about to end, the registration on that needs to be filled out, this needs my personal info, that needs to be purchased to reap the benefits of the full version, blah blah blah. buncha crap. just use linux. my machine is mine, the only terms and conditions being the GPL.

here's the open source software i use to get things done on my linux machine:

web browser - firefox
office suite - openoffice
instant messenger - gaim
audio playback - xmms
audio editing - audacity
image editing - gimp
video playback - mplayer\kaffeine\xine
cd ripping - grip
p2p - limewire
PDF viewing - kpdf
disk partitioning - qtparted
email client - thunderbird

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: OOOO]
    #4198781 - 05/20/05 11:01 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

For newbies i really recommend installing SuSE. It's the easiest distro to install, yast2, the installer, let you resize windows partitions easily and configure all your devices and connections in snap.
Besides, imagine how many software available can fit inside a 3Gb ISO :wink: ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: MAIA]
    #4200019 - 05/20/05 04:33 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Suse is now corporate. All their respected open source people have dematerialised. If the open source movement means anything to you...

If you have an internet connection, all that outdated software on the 3GB of SUSE discs or the 30GB of Redhat discs is nothing but wasted bandwidth and bloat.

Then again, I'm a minimalist, so I like being able to download a 100mb ISO, and then install only what I want to, as well as the latest versions from the repository (likely newer than whatever is on an install disc) of all the requisite software using my Debian Sarge RC2 NetInstall CD.

Life is good with Linux.

--------------------
delta9

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: delta9]
    #4201202 - 05/20/05 09:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

"Life is good with Linux."

Yeah unless you want to produce music.  :frown: Looks like I'm switching back to Windows soon so I can use Cubase again. I can't get this Rosegarden app to work at all. Does anyone here know about MIDI sequencing and using VSTs under Linux?

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4201211 - 05/20/05 09:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

There are some programs which are still definitely better under Windows than Linux. Photoshop CS/(2) beats Gimp and I would imagine MIDI development is another area. Whenever I need Photoshop I just run it under an XP session via VMWare under Linux.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#4202616 - 05/21/05 08:24 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Moog, look at programs available in aGNUla, a distrobution made for audio development.

Google is your friend. Life is good under Linux, but you have to be willing to work for it. linux vst, for example, has plenty of promising looking results. Check out Linux-Sound.Org for a nice list of sound programs on linux.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #4206271 - 05/22/05 12:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
"Life is good with Linux."

Yeah unless you want to produce music.  :frown: Looks like I'm switching back to Windows soon so I can use Cubase again. I can't get this Rosegarden app to work at all. Does anyone here know about MIDI sequencing and using VSTs under Linux?

i'd recommend a Mac to anyone serious about music production.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4207022 - 05/22/05 05:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You can dual boot you know. Here is a good newbie linux www.mepis.org

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: debianlinux]
    #4207336 - 05/22/05 06:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

debianlinux said:
i'd recommend a Mac to anyone serious about music production.

Mac OS X runs *n?x under the hood.

People still promoting Mac as something for special nook industries are living in the past :cool:

--------------------
delta9

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Thinking about switching to Linux, need your help [Re: delta9]
    #4218373 - 05/25/05 02:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
Suse is now corporate.  All their respected open source people have dematerialised.  If the open source movement means anything to you...

Yes i know that about Suse. But alas, Linux is like an hybrid car, it runs with open source and commercial apps. What's wrong with that ?
Anyway, want a 100% open source nix OS ? Get a bsd then ...

Quote:

If you have an internet connection, all that outdated software on the 3GB of SUSE discs or the 30GB of Redhat discs is nothing but wasted bandwidth and bloat.

I don't know about Redhat, but SuSE software is everything but outdated. Probably not bleeding edge (which sometimes proves itself unstable) but again, not outdated. Regarding being bloated, perhaps, but don't we criticize Windblows for being an extremely minimalist OS ? Where's the middle point ?

Quote:

Then again, I'm a minimalist, so I like being able to download a 100mb ISO, and then install only what I want to, as well as the latest versions from the repository (likely newer than whatever is on an install disc) of all the requisite software using my Debian Sarge RC2 NetInstall CD.

Customizing your own OS is a good thing, but mind you he's a noob and probably he doesn't have enough knowledge, enough patience or enough time. Instead of pointing out the distro of "our choice", or the way we like to customize our OS, i believe is more productive and less time consuming - for a noob - to start with a full configured and full featured OS.

Quote:

Life is good with Linux.

Yes it is :smile: ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Science and Technology