Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexburn
V card
Agar to LC
    #4203357 - 05/21/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

THis is a two parter.

When going from agar to lc how large a piece do you use?

and when doing a syringe to agar, if you put to much water form the syringe and it turns milky after three days. the water on the plate that is. Is that just the monycrons and dikyrons?

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Agar to LC [Re: xburn]
    #4203515 - 05/21/05 01:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've used a whole petri dish to inoculate one liter of liquid culture solution.

I never use more than one drop from a spore syringe right in the very center of the petri dish. You don't want a huge amount of spores germinating. That defeats the purpose and makes strain isolation that much harder. The milky water might be germinated spores or it could be bacteria. Keep a close watch.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Agar to LC [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4203571 - 05/21/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thanks

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Agar to LC [Re: xburn]
    #4216269 - 05/24/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with RogerRabbit. Spore solutions on agar work best at about 100 um (1/10th a CC) in the center of the plate.

I use half pint jars with a hole in the metal lid and covered by a filter patch. I pressure cook them with the agar inside and then sit the jars on the shelf until the condensation goes away (about 3 days).

Once the condensation has gone away, I inoculate the plate. I draw out the solution from my vacutainer storage test tube with a 1/2ml syringe sporting a 29-gauge needle. I clean the room air with Oust, allow the Oust to settle, and then remove the filter patch exposing a small hole to inject the solution. I inject 100 um (average drop) and put back on the filter patch with the ring. Then I sit the jar out in the open (not in an incubator) for a day or two until the drop completely evaporates. I then incubate the jar inverted at 86F inside a bucket-in-bucket setup. I find that the jar inversion prevents the agar from sweating and causing condensation and also promotes a more fluffy mycelium growth.

Remember this: standing water is your enemy in this hobby. It doesn't matter how sterile you think your grain is or your agar plate, if you see standing water, you will eventually have bacterial problems. That is why it is critical that the condensation does not form and the spore solution evaporates.

Edited by Blue Helix (05/28/05 01:00 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar to LC [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4217083 - 05/25/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice BH, sounds like a great way to do agar... The agar never falls since its inverted? I assume its to light..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Agar to LC [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4217170 - 05/25/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have never had the agar fall and I've been incubating agar jars inverted for several years. I think it's because the agar is so sticky. I have seen the agar shrink from the sides when it dries out, but since the jars are sitting on their own filter patch when inverted, they won't dry out in that orientation.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Agar to LC [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4217178 - 05/25/05 01:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

And I wanted to add that you can also, of course, store mycelium in sterile water in a vacutainer too for years in the refrigerator. That can be great if you clone some mycelium from a champion shroom into a live culture. You'll get perfectly consistent results without taking all that time to isolate (although isolation isn't really necessary anyway with such a robust mushroom like cubes).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale