Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Meth-Based Vanity License Plate
    #4213543 - 05/24/05 09:27 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Meth-Based Vanity License Plate
May 24, 2005 - wpvi.com

A black 2002 Audi tooling around Seattle's streets has a vanity license plate that appears to have gotten in under the radar of the state licensing police.

The inscription, C9H13N, is the chemical compound for methamphetamine - not that the general public would know that.

The plate appears to violate state law that bans vanity plates making reference to alcohol or illegal substances.

The driver of the car, whose name was not released, told state officials in his application for the plate that the series of letters and numbers represented red food coloring, said Brad Benfield, spokesman for the state Department of Licensing.

But according to the Chemistry Department at the University of Washington, the compound represented on the plate is not the common formula for red food coloring.

"This is a serious concern, if there is a license out there with something on it that a reasonable person would consider related to an illegal substance," said Benfield.

There's an outside chance that the plate may be legal because the chemical compound is also the formula for amphetamine, which is used in medicines.

Revoking a license plate is not a simple task.

First the state would send the driver a letter questioning the plate. Then the case would go to the agency's Personalized Plate Review Committee, made up of officials from the licensing department, the Washington State Patrol, county auditors and vehicle-licensing agents.

Over the past 18 months, the committee has reviewed 17 questionable plates, and four - all with sexual connotations - have been canceled.

Last week the state dismissed a complaint about a vanity plate imprinted with JOHN316 - a reference to a New Testament verse - because it wasn't deemed offensive.

So how could this plate have been issued in the first place?

"It's pretty easy for something like this to slip through," said Benfield. "With a series of letters and numbers, if you're not a chemist it doesn't ring a bell."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineT85
Stranger

Loc: US
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: veggie]
    #4213572 - 05/24/05 09:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm glad people are wasting time and money on this. This is, of course, a very serious issue.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: T85]
    #4215933 - 05/24/05 07:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

if I were driving down the highway and spotted a plate that read "C9H13N", I would be extremely offended and outraged.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: SuperD]
    #4215984 - 05/24/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Why, got a problem with amphetamine?
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth_chemistry.shtml

stupid reporting, bottom line.
So much for an educated press.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #4216005 - 05/24/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

actually i'd wave and give a smile as i passed the driver up..sarcasm doesn't mix well with typed text  :wink:

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: veggie]
    #4216036 - 05/24/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Last week the state dismissed a complaint about a vanity plate imprinted with JOHN316 - a reference to a New Testament verse - because it wasn't deemed offensive.

i find this more offensive than the one in question

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #4216040 - 05/24/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
sarcasm doesn't mix well with typed text  :wink:

I appreciated it  :thumbup:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: T85]
    #4217160 - 05/25/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: dr_gonz]
    #4218307 - 05/25/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:blush: this guy needs jailed immediately!

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4219877 - 05/25/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
Quote:

--------------------
delta9

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: delta9]
    #4219968 - 05/25/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
Quote:

wrestler_az said:
Quote:

DMV rejects 'JOHN316'
license plate
Bureaucrats claim biblical tag inappropriately refers to 'deity'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 19, 2005
5:00 p.m. Eastern

? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A resident of Vermont who had his request for a custom "JOHN316" license plate rejected filed a federal lawsuit against Department of Motor Vehicles officials yesterday.

Alliance Defense Fund, a legal group representing Shawn W. Byrne, says the state agency's action violates the Constitution.

"The Constitution does not permit DMV officials to discriminate based upon the applicant's point of view," said ADF attorney Joshua Carden in a statement. "Religious speech is not inferior to secular speech. The department's actions are clearly unconstitutional."

John 3:16 is perhaps the most famous verse in the Christian Bible. It states, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

According to ADF, Byrne submitted his application for the special plate on April 20. The following month, he received a letter from the DMV stating that each of his choices, including "JOHN316," was "deemed to be a combination that refers to deity and has been denied based on that reason." Byrne appealed the decision, but an administrative law judge upheld the denial based on the statute that prohibits combinations that refer to "deity," among other things.

Though DMV officials rejected Byrne's application, they approved other plates that used names and numbers referring to religion, the legal group says.

"DMV officials selectively censored Mr. Byrne's expression," explained Carden. "When officials suppress speech because they don't like the message of the plate or the viewpoint it expresses, that's illegal discrimination. ?

"Not only did DMV officials enforce the statute unequally when they approved another applicant's plate that also referred to deity or religion, but the statute itself does not pass constitutional muster. We intend to make sure that the DMV will no longer be able to discriminate against anyone based upon their religious views."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42453

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: Meth-Based Vanity License Plate [Re: d33p]
    #4220261 - 05/25/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

<<DMV rejects 'JOHN316'
license plate
Bureaucrats claim biblical tag inappropriately refers to 'deity'>>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
Manoa said:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #4220492 - 05/25/05 10:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i was thikning that someone managed to make a license plate out of meth when i saw this at first.... maybee the plate is a molded brck of glass covered in paint? and they never knew..

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder