Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineReeFuSEtoLose
Stranger

Only Three pins on first casing? (gay)
    #4216156 - 05/24/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have my first casing done with one quart of fully colonized Ps.cub(brazillian), vermiculate top and bottom layers, i let it colonize without light untill it was just getting thin wisps of mycellia through out the pan, and i only have 1 forming mushroom and 2 smaller pins forming from one small area. My camera takes shitty pictures so its hard to get one of the surface of the casing with detail. Would a wise choice be to let these three pins grow out than scratch and spray(or hydrate), hopeing for a better second flush or is it now pooched?
Any replie is greatly appreciated, sorry ill dig my toung out of your assholes. Peace :crazy:

--------------------
Peaze
---------------------------------------
even a broken clock is still right twice a day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: ReeFuSEtoLose]
    #4216203 - 05/24/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

well expose it with 12/12 light and water it , and after you chop the 3 maybe cold shock it , or dunk/water it jess so may possibilities

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

OfflineJoops
Stranger
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: liveby]
    #4216288 - 05/24/05 09:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

my last casings were weak first flushes too, only a few like you describe. the following flushes were much better as the mycerlium got more to the surface.

I have a 3q casing now and it has a very few and very small fruits on it, but im positive the next flushes will be bigger and better. just gotta wait it out

Anonymous

#4216325 - 05/24/05 09:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

liveby said:
well expose it with 12/12 light and water it , and after you chop the 3 maybe cold shock it , or dunk/water it jess so may possibilities

please dont do this
I am not trying to be rude in anyway but this info is not correct other than 12/12 of light
you dont need to water unless you have a dry caseing layer
no need to cold shock cause all that does is tell it to pin not to pin alot and you have allready achieved that and their is plenty of water so you dont need to dunk it for awhile or at all IT IS A CASEING

if the caseing isnt fully colinized the only thing you can do is slightly raise the temps to try to achieve this but its not recomended. (it will work out in the end if you let it be the nutrients arent going anywhere)

if you want to try after the shrooms are pulled (not chopped) from the caseing you can scratch and add some more caseing material and patch it untill it gets even but I would let it be Ibelieve youll be better off but that is just my opinion

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: fee]
    #4216357 - 05/24/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

liveby said:

please dont do this
I am not trying to be rude in anyway but this info is not correct other than 12/12 of light
no need to cold shock cause all that does is tell it to pin not to pin alot and you have allready achieved that and their is plenty of water so you dont need to dunk it for awhile or at all IT IS A CASEING

if the caseing isnt fully colinized the only thing you can do is slightly raise the temps to try to achieve this but its not recomended. (it will work out in the end if you let it be the nutrients arent going anywhere)

if you want to try after the shrooms are pulled (not chopped) from the caseing you can scratch and add some more caseing material and patch it untill it gets even but I would let it be Ibelieve youll be better off but that is just my opinion

from the info given i think it was correct , after you cut the 3 pins you can cold shock it go get a even pinset so it wouldnt be patchy (yes i have done this one or twice) as for the watering its common sence to water when dry -maybe i should have been more specific , and as with temp's i found that i get a better flush lower the temp , anywho just my 2 cents

peace live

--------------------

Edited by liveby (05/24/05 09:24 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: fee]
    #4216379 - 05/24/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It could be any number of things wrong with it. Without knowing all details, and especially pictures, theres not much help that can be given.

My guess, is the straight verm casing. Its a poor casing material to use by itself. It can work out, but if you dont know how to watch it and care for it, it can be hard to get it to the rigt moisture content, and keep it there. I'd bet its to dry and a dunk and mist would help.

Id suggest next time using peat/verm/oystershell combo for your casing layer to achieve better pinsets.

Second flush could certainly improve, and generally when theres a few pins, they get very big...still better to have fewer pins and smaller mushrooms, but good luck with your grow!

Spawning to some poo would increase pinsets too.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
    #4216397 - 05/24/05 09:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

liveby said:
Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

liveby said:

please dont do this

from the info given i think it was correct , after you cut the 3 pins you can cold shock it go get a even pinset so it wouldnt be patchy (yes i have done this one or twice) as for the watering its common sence to water when dry -maybe i should have been more specific , and as with temp's i found that i get a better flush lower the temp , anywho  just my 2 cents

peace live

cold shocking will not do a damm thing at this point to get a even pin set you must have a even sub and a even casing layer and fruit at the right time!!!!!!just let it go and you will get a better flush next time around as the mycel keeps moving thru the casing,u will see !!!!!and only mist until you see mycel poping the surface as that will get you thru the pinset!!!!!! :thumbup:

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: sludge]
    #4216447 - 05/24/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sludge said:
Quote:

liveby said:
Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

liveby said:

please dont do this

from the info given i think it was correct , after you cut the 3 pins you can cold shock it go get a even pinset so it wouldnt be patchy (yes i have done this one or twice) as for the watering its common sence to water when dry -maybe i should have been more specific , and as with temp's i found that i get a better flush lower the temp , anywho  just my 2 cents

peace live

cold shocking will not do a damm thing at this point to get a even pin set you must have a even sub and a even casing layer and fruit at the right time!!!!!!just let it go and you will get a better flush next time around as the mycel keeps moving thru the casing,u will see !!!!!and only mist until you see mycel poping the surface as that will get you thru the pinset!!!!!! :thumbup:

I must agree with this. Cold shocking tropical species doesnt make them create more pins, it just stops vegetative growth. That in turn induces pinning...but obviously on this casing pinning has already been induced...although not evenly.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4216612 - 05/24/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

sludge said:
Quote:

liveby said:
Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

liveby said:

please dont do this

peace live

I must agree with this. Cold shocking tropical species doesnt make them create more pins, it just stops vegetative growth. That in turn induces pinning...but obviously on this casing pinning has already been induced...although not evenly.

i dunno , worked for me , maybe i should experiment with it a bit more

--------------------

OfflineReeFuSEtoLose
Stranger

#4216688 - 05/24/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, im not sure exactly whats goin on with the casing at this point, although in 48 hours the largest mushroom has practicly quadrupled in size(width and height) but is still not even close to mature. From this point ill work on getting a better more consistant distrobution of moisture, i think its possibly dry in some spots due to the shitty output of my coolmist rigged with hepa filter.

Ill post on as more things develop, regardless if this experiment works or not im going to try and take a spore print from the healthyest specimin and give it another go from the beginning, its sad but im still not sure on the exact science of the casing layer its confuseing but i guess it is something that can only be taught from experience, Thanks for all your help and keep blazin.

--------------------
Peaze

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: ReeFuSEtoLose]
    #4216775 - 05/24/05 11:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i use the pf method, and before i take the cake out of the jar to case it, i dunk each one with a Ball plastic lid, and i cold shock it at the same time... then i crumble the cake up and case. I have seen awesome growth and a verry even pinset, by doing it this way. I use 50/50/ casing tek, with a box of crushed oyster shells, and a moist layer of peirlite on bottom. i like my method, but i am looking into spawn bags...

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: Oatman2000]
    #4216789 - 05/24/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i also can fit -6- 22" casing trays into my terrarium, invest in one of these
www.target.com

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4216946 - 05/25/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

liveby said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

sludge said:
Quote:

liveby said:
Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

liveby said:

please dont do this

peace live

i dunno , worked for me , maybe i should experiment with it a bit more

I came to the same conclusions to you early on. But I attribulte it only to stopping growth. To get pinsets like this:

No cold shock is needed. Just lots of fresh air, light and a 10 degree temp drop. I like to pull out casings open air for a few hours (as many as you can without them drying out) into my room which is 74ish, fresh air, and leave the lights on. Do it a few times (or once, if you do it right and get good at timing, and use bulk substrate with peat casing which wont dry out quickly so you can leave it out for a while) and you'll get a more even pinset then coldshocking, IME.

--------------------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4220746 - 05/25/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, using those 12-quart trays that scatmanrav is showing is one of the best things that I've done, and it makes pulling the tray out and moving them around easy. Don't make big heavy trays if you want easy growing.

OfflineReeFuSEtoLose
Stranger

Re: Only Three pins on first casing? (gay) [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4223361 - 05/26/05 04:14 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for all the response, I now understand that the casing didnt have enough time to colonize the casing surface, it was undercolonized.

--------------------
Peaze

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags