Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKatrina

Casings repeatedly contaminating
    #4216211 - 05/24/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This winter I started doing WBS jars and casing them with the 60/40. I was having really great results, kept a couple of casings through many, many flushes, some less than others. However, for the last 3 months or so I have had almost every single casing I make get contaminated (green mold). Before I had never even sterlized my 60/40 except a little bit in the microwave. Now I am PCing in jars and I still just lost a perfectly huge and awesome casing of Pink Buffalo to this shit. I got one not very good flush and then like the very next day green every where. Some casings I don't even get a flush from. I had a casing of Acadians a couple of weeks ago get to the big pin almost mushroom stage and then stall and turn green. I have scrubbed everything. I don't know what I am doing wrong all of a sudden. I live in the midwest, pretty odd weather right now. I don't know if that is causing problems or what. I use a very simple setup that has always worked for me before. I don't use perlite, I have always used an acquarium heater in a glass of water for humidity and warmth, never needed perlite. I use the lid to fan, all very simple, never a prob before. Now I feel like a newbie who can't get a grow from start to finish. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFoci
me?
Loc: north pole
Re: Casings repeatedly contaminating [Re: Katrina]
    #4216324 - 05/24/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I hear WBS can be hard to work with unless you are extreamly careful in your cleaning process. If you were having killers results with your set up then all of a sudden it changed, I'd look at EVERY THING that may be causing this problem. for example- Perhaps its the same bird seed your using and its too old, maybe you have a super contam or something that is carrying through on one of your jar/lids/ knives, ect, ect. perhaps you have not cleaned out your acquarium well enough. Maybe where you are getting your spores from doesnt use the cleanest methods. (these are all just ideas im throwing up in the air) but you get the idea and i guess i'd go from there. BTW BRF is suppose to have lower cases of infection to my understanding. thats what im using now and i didnt even sterlize well (just steamed in a double boiler) -- i also did about 2CCs per jar as well to help it colonize it faster. but im getting killer results. Also overwatering is suppose to be one of the top 10 reasons for contams so i'd suggest you possilby use less water too.

again point being: just go over EVERYTHING that may have changed. other than that you may have to wait for one of the contam experts to come along.

hope this helped at least a little... good luck and happy  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Market=zero rating due to tahoe not helping with thispost. He posted he wanted 5 shrooms. thats it... and since he didnt help and i didn't give him a rating. he gave me bad ratings... rock on. great shroomer.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Casings repeatedly contaminating [Re: Foci]
    #4217798 - 05/25/05 08:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

set up an air pump to give a good air exchange, you may have spores just floating around your place. do you have a hepa? that will help clean your air up. everytime you open the lid and fan with it you could possibly be adding those bad spores into your chamber. good luck
peace

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #4218567 - 05/25/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Don't sterilize your casing mix, just lightly pasteurize it.

--------------------

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Casings repeatedly contaminating [Re: @cro]
    #4218665 - 05/25/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Are you soaking your WBS for 24 hours before innoculationg it?

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineKatrina

Re: Casings repeatedly contaminating [Re: Kalix]
    #4219084 - 05/25/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am following a tried and true WBS tek and I am not having trouble with jars contaminating. I get fully colonized WBS and everything goes well, things pin, etc., and then I end up with mold either before I can get a harvest, i.e. pins stall and green sets in, or right after first harvest. I am clean to the point of being ridiculous. I just went through and inspected the entire house for any sources of mold and found nothing actually growing. I have not had to use the central air or heat for several weeks now, just windows open. I did just order an air purifier today. The air pump for air exchange is a good idea, but I'm not sure how to set that up exactly with my system. I have 3 rubbermaid tubs that I use.

--------------------
Anyone who says size doesn't matter has been seeing too many small shrooms!

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
    #4219553 - 05/25/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i have same problem. try adding a couple of capfuls of hydrogen peroxide in your water thats in your growing chamber. green mold is caused by having damp, stale air. how many times a day do you fan?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck