Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenitroguy
SeiZureS

Fruit Chamber: Air tight? Wetted perlite for moisture?
    #4214596 - 05/24/05 04:32 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I just bought a Rubbermaid that has handles shaped into the body/top.  I noticed that it doesn't actually seal, you can wiggle the top all around when it is put on and you can visibly see gaps around the handles :rolleyes:.  Is this going to be a problem?
The bottom is not exactly flat either.  I was planning on just putting in wet perlite on the bottom to make a flat surface and as my source of moisture.  Does anyone have any success/failure stories with just using wet/moist perlite (or something similar) as the only source of moisture?  I live in a fairly dry climate in an overcrowded apt. that deters me from doubling the size of my terrarium with a drip-shield.  I will be fruiting 1/2pint wide-mouth cakes.

--------------------
...Weapons are meant for destruction,
and thus are avoided by the wise.
Only as a last resort
will a wise person use a deadly weapon.
If peace is her true objective
how can she rejoice in the victory of war?
Those who rejoice in victory
delight in the slaughter of humanity.
Those who resort to violence
will never bring peace to the world...

Lao-Tzu, "Tao Te Ching--31" trans. J.H. McDonald

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: Fruit Chamber: Air tight? Wetted perlite for moisture? [Re: nitroguy]
    #4214613 - 05/24/05 04:35 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

yeah will work just fine try to get and aquarium airpump to handle your air exchanges

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4214732 - 05/24/05 05:14 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I live in one of the driest climates in the US (rH currently 15%), and damp perlite did the trick for me when I was fruiting cakes. The key is to keep it damp - not submerged.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinestarptv23
kindchicka420
 User Gallery

Loc: dancing in my head
Re: Fruit Chamber: Air tight? Wetted perlite for moisture? [Re: dog]
    #4214780 - 05/24/05 05:25 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

i had no luck with perlite...but others have great results....i think the lid will be fine ...you want some air exchange( a small amount) if you are not using a pump...for my bottom I use paper towels for mosture on the bottom..I double it up...(2 -3 layers)...then i spray before before i place the alumium foil in squares to sit cakes on top..so it does not sit on towels....it works for me...i hope you can find your way...eveyone has there own idea of what works for them

oh ya..perlite is messy :mushroom2:..so, i like the towels better....

--------------------
"Six words: drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in -and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in-it's a rhythm- most of us think God made this universe in nature-subject object-predicate sentences-turn on, tune in, drop out- period, end of paragraph. Turn the page- it's all a rhythm- it's all a beat. You turn on, you find it inside, and then you have to come back (since you can't stay high all the time) and you have to build a better model. But don't get caught - don't get hooked - don't get attracted by the thing you're building, cause... you gotta drop out again. It's a cycle. Turn on, tune in, drop out. Keep it going, keep it going- the nervous system works that way. gotta keep it flowing- keep it flowing.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fruit Chamber: Air tight? Wetted perlite for moisture? [Re: starptv23]
    #4214834 - 05/24/05 05:41 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

I think small, round, red lava rocks like my friend used are good.

Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

Loc: /\ /\ Right there /\ /\
    #4214838 - 05/24/05 05:42 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

fill that bad boy with 3 inches of perlite, 2 inches of water. where the handles are molded in, there are holes drilled through the plastic. tape them up if you want. you dont have to. if you run an aquarium pump into a airstone that is in the perlite or a quart jar full of water and peroxide, the holes will allow for gas exchange.

then do this to the lid to allow light to enter.

that is a 50 gallon rubbermaid i think, it has been so long since i grew mushrooms that i forgot.

hope that helps,
snakeman

Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

Loc: /\ /\ Right there /\ /\
Re: Fruit Chamber: Air tight? Wetted perlite for moisture? [Re: four20snakeman]
    #4214844 - 05/24/05 05:43 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

oh yeah, before you put your perlite in the rubbermaid, rinse that shit in a strainer. it gets all the perlite dust off of the little pieces, makes it not so messy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation