Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedicktar2000
Stranger
how to fight the green meanies
    #4214284 - 05/24/05 01:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone have any tips on fighting green mold? I use the MMGG tek, and I've always lost a couple jars each cycle to contaminants, but this last batch of 12 was entirely wiped out in a few days by the same green growth just under the lids. After the first couple, I thought oh well, it's a moldy time of year, but losing a whole batch has never happened before. Any advice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinekingboomerDiscord
smurfhouse archetect
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High!!!!
Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: dicktar2000]
    #4214302 - 05/24/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:mushroom2:  KEEP IT CLEAN!!  Sterilize thoroughly, inoculate with a sterile needle, keep your area clean with LOTS of Lysol, and for Christ's sake wash yer paws!  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Hole in the sky/
take me to heaven..
window in time/
through it I'll fly...

-Black Sabbath

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4214311 - 05/24/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

sounds like you might have had a bad syringe.

---

did you wipe the inside lip after putting in the BRF/Verm substrate?
sometimes you will get a contam if you don't wipe the lip before putting in the dry verm layer on 1/2 pint BRF/Verm jars.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #4214318 - 05/24/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

use a glove box

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinedicktar2000
Stranger
Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: kingboomer]
    #4214328 - 05/24/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Great advice, King, but what I'm saying is I followed the same procedure I've always followed, but this time the same green funk got to the jars the same way.

OfflinekingboomerDiscord
smurfhouse archetect
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High!!!!
Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: Roadkill]
    #4214350 - 05/24/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
sounds like you might have had a bad syringe.

that's also a possibility

---

did you wipe the inside lip after putting in the BRF/Verm substrate?
sometimes you will get a contam if you don't wipe the lip before putting in the dry verm layer on 1/2 pint BRF/Verm jars.

tc

--------------------
Hole in the sky/
take me to heaven..
window in time/
through it I'll fly...

-Black Sabbath

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #4214355 - 05/24/05 01:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yep, sterile technique is everything. However, I believe most contamination originates from bad prints (except for in sloppy operations). That may be what happened this time since you said you were careful. Was there any rust on the rim of your mason cap? That can cause contamination at the top of the jar. Keep at it.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Offlinedicktar2000
Stranger
    #4214370 - 05/24/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Per the MMGG, I wiped down the rims of the jars and thoroughly cleaned the jars and the lids, with the same diligence that I've ever used.

I didn't pre-sterilize the vermiculite, though, and the bag is a few months old (re-sealable, but a few months old nonetheless).

Offlinedivinityinfinity
Hot LittleMuffin

Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4214376 - 05/24/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah but you said that you always lose a couple to contaminants. Now im an uber nerd and i dont know much about your technique but after 2 grows ive lost none to contamination....i know my opinion doesnt hold much water but you might want to rethink your sterilization techniques/

are you doing your inoculating/incubating in a cold wet place like the basement? Molds LOVE those environments

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4214381 - 05/24/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

it must have been the syringe i doubt presterilizing the verm had anything to do with it...how long did u boil the jars?

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4214384 - 05/24/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dicktar2000 said:
Per the MMGG, I wiped down the rims of the jars and thoroughly cleaned the jars and the lids, with the same diligence that I've ever used.

I didn't pre-sterilize the vermiculite, though, and the bag is a few months old (re-sealable, but a few months old nonetheless).

there is no need to pre-sterilize the verm.

that is taken care of when you boil or pressure cook your jars.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4214441 - 05/24/05 02:00 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

after an incident like that i think i would bleach clean the incubator.
and, i agree with RK.also, it never hurts to review sterile procedure before you Begin, just to make sure you aren't forgetting something.
like the Murine's used to say in Korea, keep a cool tool fool, there's fungus amugus :crazy:

Offlinedicktar2000
Stranger
Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4214465 - 05/24/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I boiled the jars for 90 minutes, per the MMGG.

The syringe seems like an obvious culprit since the destruction was so widespread, but I sterilized the syringe, and the mold started at the same spot on all the jars: around the point where the top layer of verm. met the cake.

I didn't prepare them in a basement, but it is spring, and the windows are open, the AC is occasionally on, etc. The only place dark enough in the house is a closet, and I'm not sure how damp the air in there really is.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4214522 - 05/24/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dicktar2000 said:

I didn't prepare them in a basement, but it is spring, and the windows are open, the AC is occasionally on, etc.

The only place dark enough in the house is a closet, and I'm not sure how damp the air in there really is.

Close the windows, turn off the AC and make sure you don't have a draft in the room that you are working in.

You want the air movement to be minimal or non-existant.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Offlinedicktar2000
Stranger
Re: how to fight the green meanies [Re: Roadkill]
    #4214724 - 05/24/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I know to keep the draft down while prepping the jars, I meant that this time of year there is generally more air current and stuff in the air.

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4214771 - 05/24/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i have almost 100% contaminations when i do grains, but i've never had a green PF cake, it is a great tek for beginners IMO

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds