Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCeeThruMeer
Aztek GoatBecoming Eagle

Loc: BC, Canada
Where does your mind go on drugs?
    #4212309 - 05/24/05 12:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is inspired by the "Drugs - Serious/Anxious" thread.

It lead me to thinking about where my thoughts go when I am under the influence of a substance. Where they differ from my sober state.

When I am stoned I feel like I experience things from a more "real"* place (this may not be a good thing). But I don't use marijuana that often anyway. For example I was with my girlfriend yesterday about 30 minutes after I had smoked herb with some friends. We were sitting on a blanket in a field at a May Days celebration, and she was playing with flowers she had picked. All of a sudden I felt like I had a more profound understanding of who she was. Just from experiencing her presence.

I have tried to explain to myself what it was exactly that I had understood, but I cannot put words to it. It was as if she had peeled off a layer that was between my perception of her, and who she really is.

Although I have nothing to base whether this is more "real", or just a delusuinal thought, it is how my mind tends to work when I am stoned. Sometimes it is hard to deal with what I see (I often see a quality of myself that I feel is negative), sometimes it is beautiful and easy to accept (like experiencing my girlfriend), but it is always interesting, and I feel like I usually learn from it, which is very important to me.

So where does your mind go, and how do you perceive reality while on drugs (herb, mushrooms, acid, alcohol, etc)?

*I don't think saying more "real" is the best description of what I experience, but it is the best I can think of right now. May edit later.

--------------------
"my old friend told me
to do well always
set your sails, open
ride your waves, flowing
just relax, sober
leave you past, it's over
bind two hands, stronger
my soul waits, forward" - Arjun and Guardians

Edited by CeeThruMeer (05/24/05 10:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: Where does your mind go on drugs? [Re: CeeThruMeer]
    #4212394 - 05/24/05 12:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

reality can be multiplied
my consciousness leaves my body (OBE) and goes into a thousand consciousnesses at once, eyes on every step of every trail of possibility
my soul gets scraped down seen though blinding laser eyes

that part about seeing negative aspects of yourself on pot
you can use that if you remember to have compassion for yourself while you look

sometimes i write myself notes from fuckedupland so i remember what i see. sometimes i've made life-changing decisions while in wonderland (and stuck with them after)

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4212396 - 05/24/05 12:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Difficult questions for me. :confused: On high doses of psychedelics I often feel later that my subconscious was at the forefront. Very much like lucid dreaming or regular dreaming.

As to the question of how I preceive reality, I cannot say for sure. All I can say is the same yet different.

I know exactally what you mean about knowing your girlfriend. Maybe there is a clue here. You really noticed :mushroom2: what your subconscious already knew about her but your conscious mind didn't usually notice because it was too busy thinking about itself.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4212538 - 05/24/05 01:06 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

more of what is "real", then maybe?

[I would have deleted this written under this, but since i wrote it, i might as well post it.. so if reading on, know that I don't know what I'm trying to say.. if anything.. :P]

if you could get stoned, just by thinking you were stoned, you would be..
but you instead (i.e.) smoke, then think you got stoned, and is..

in getting stoned, you are not satisfied, by the thought alone...
so, we have created an inactive substance, which when combining both thought and action, gives (placebo?) effect.
The substance combined with its meme (what you have heard about it/make out of it), is then seen as active and (what you are), effects you..

Now, the drug, with out the proper set of memes, is non-effective.

when having done drugs, the mind, having done the action, can lay on to it, what properties it has..

So in a way, it still your mind, (doing it yourself as 'explained' above.)
in giving itself a reason to be how it is, it can sort of take 'its mind, of its mind' and just think...

its this placebo, your mind, is already where you are, drunk. But in drinking, you react to the action taken, in letting what already was there, become, through faculties. (filling yourself with the 'stuff' (i.e. alcohol) which you think will make you become, the way you do become...)

"While influenced by drugs, you are no longer the influence of you..
so this influence you usually are on yourself, is free to be utilized in others fields of our consciousness.."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (05/24/05 01:13 AM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4213733 - 05/24/05 12:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

One explanation:

It goes nowhere.

Your mind is purely a function of your brain; there is no ethereal soul from which it springs fourth. This is why, when you're on drugs (or suffer a brain injury or lobotomy), who you are changes so profoundly.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Where does your mind go on drugs? [Re: Diploid]
    #4213796 - 05/24/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

who you are? or what version of yourself you are able to present to other people?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Where does your mind go on drugs? [Re: Doom]
    #4213866 - 05/24/05 01:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm Version 1.0, but I'm still in beta test.  :grin:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Where does your mind go on drugs? [Re: Diploid]
    #4215114 - 05/24/05 06:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

When I smoke weed I'm more 'into' the world. I find God in His manifestation. As a conscious observer, I'm drawn closer to my ego and the physical, and I consider transcendental ideas through considering the physical. Weed gives me more awareness to 'play' with. It's sort of grounding.

Psychedelics tend to dissolve the boundary between ego and observer, and I come more into the world, but perceive the physical directly as something more than physical. The physical comes to make perfect sense, in relation to 'something more' than it. I get an objective perspective of things in their relative hierarchy...I can distinguish the boundaries which do not divide, but rather constitute the greater whole.

On disassociatives like DXM, my ego shuts off and I move deeper into myself as a farther removed observer. Here I circumvent the physical in transcendent experience, and can connect directly into oneness. I am better able to associate myself with 'Namaste' the God within, as myself being something more than physical in an Earthly physical context.

With alcohol I move closer as a conscious observer to my ego, who's inhibitions are dissolved. My will power is lessened and I become more driven by the animalistic physical aspect of my being which is not the totality of who I am. It allows me to touch my most primal side, which is a part of me.

Opiates tug my ego in a hedonistic direction. The experience of bliss is profound, as although chemically induced, everything in the physical world essentially comes down to chemicals. The profundity lies in the intensity of the experience that gives me an idea, on a physical level, of how the physical can be transcendent. The opiate may be physical, but the *experience* is not, and is real. Sort of highlights the arbitrary nature of the physical.

And for contrast: sobriety. Having done drugs, I'm free to pick from any of the above. Woohoo! It's my baseline which drugs have taught me isn't a static thing.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Where does your mind go on drugs? [Re: Doom]
    #4217478 - 05/25/05 06:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
who you are? or what version of yourself you are able to present to other people?

:confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology