Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Shaking BRF jars
    #4209767 - 05/23/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I have noticed that there has been a lot of talk about shaking BRF jars. Some have said that it's good, other say it should not be done.
A week ago I would have called you a moron if you told me that you shook up some PF jars.

A week ago, just for the hell of it I decided to shake up two of my pf jars :lol: The first jar was Tazmanian about 45% colonized. The second jar was Cambodian, about 77% colonized. So I picked em up, gave em a nice shake (sideways, not up and down), put them back in the incubator and let them do their thing.

Today, I checked on them again. After a careful analysis I have noticed that the Cambodian myc finally started to colonize the bottom. The taz mycellium continued growing at it's regular speed.

So there ya go folks shaking BRF jars kind of works, but I don't think it's worth the calories you are wasting :smile:

Pluto

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Shaking BRF jars [Re: Tien]
    #4209826 - 05/23/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

-I am a newb-

I was one of the people who was told to shake their BRF jars. So I decided to try it on two of them. Both jars that I shook were the farthest behind.. now they have caught up to the others and are moving maybe a little faster. However, the growth does not seem to be as healthy.. it is not as thick.. or rhizomorphic. Plus.. the jar is in a few pieces sort of.. and the myc is trying to pull itself together. .... ...

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Shaking BRF jars [Re: Quiescence]
    #4210126 - 05/23/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

BRF are meant to fruit as cakes, Quie found out why you dont want to shake a BRF jar. The reason you prog a speed up in colonization time and the bottob finally colonized is you disrupted the gas gradient in the jar, CO2 and what not. If your just spawning then this will work ok, but if your spawning then why use BRF when You can go to grains for the cost of a 30 dollar pressure cooker. So you basically accomplished the task of turning them upside down with the tape off.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Shaking BRF jars [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4210205 - 05/23/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

-I am a newb-

I agree that shaking the BRF jars is  :thumbdown:
However, I think that you can use BRF jars for more than just cakes. I am going to case my BRF jars with some WBS jars to get the added moisture of the verm + different nutes from the BRF for .. well vareity. I wouldn't want to eat the same thing my whole life. .. :wink:

Hawk, don't you think that BRF jars can add some extra spice?

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4210285 - 05/23/05 01:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Shrooms on grain are more potent then ones from brf. The brf dilutes things. (Enough to notice I doubt it).

As far as shaking brf jars i wouldn't esp if there is a dry verm layer. Like hawk said you just fucked with the Co2 levels in the jar you can do the same thing by turning your jars upside down in your incubator. this allows the Co2 to leave the jar since it is heaver then normal air and will leak out the holes.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4210294 - 05/23/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

No i dont think so, If your want better nutes go to grain alone or horse poo. You will get TONS of nutes off of those. BRF cakes are fairly low in nutes, not that i havent grown alot on them. You can add different things to bump up BRF cakes. I just think that the majority of people are going to move on to grains when they see how much better they produce for you. Also more potent fruits. Again dont get me wrong you can do amazing things with cakes.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Shaking BRF jars [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4210321 - 05/23/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:shrug:

Well.. I have a whole set of BRF jars.. and gotta use em somehow. So hopefully the extra substrate depth and maybe.. just a few extra nutes? ... will help my WBS casings. Yes, I can't wait to try the poopoo.  :cool:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix