Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineclavariadelphus
Stranger
Why is overlaying?
    #4209206 - 05/23/05 08:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

HI friends! I have a problem with a tray, I think is overlay but I don't know what causes it... I haven't got this problem never before.
The tray is a 2L. (2 quarts) rye grain  cased with 50/50 Peat/Vermiculite; the strain is peruvian and was allowed to incubate in dark  at 28?C(82F)and 100% RH  for a couple of days since it reached the casing layer, then exposed to fruiting: 24?C (73 F), a bubbler running 15 minutes each hour and indirect sunlight. Instead of fruiting like other times I've done it the same, the micellium growed overlaying the surface and becoming so dense... why had this happened??
A couple of days later, seeing no sign of primordia I tuned the tray upside down, where the micellium was more healthy and there where lots of primordia... now the primordia are developing into shrooms but the micelium is still growing over some of this primordia.

sorry for my english...I hope you understand it  :wink:

Here are some pictures...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Why is overlaying? [Re: clavariadelphus]
    #4209209 - 05/23/05 08:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Why not just run the bubbler 24/7? Poor air exchange can be one of the causes of overlay/ no pins, or you may have good enough exchange and this isn't the case. Anytime i've got a casing overlayed, i just waited until it fully colonized, added a new casing layer, incubate for 2 days, then cold shock for 40 hours and that does the trick.

Cold shock/ temp drop is a superb way to initiate pinning, and although a lot of ppl on here will say it's not necessary, it will sure as hell help you initiate pinning if you otherwise can't get there.

Edited by kronnyQ (05/23/05 11:21 AM)

Offlineclavariadelphus
Stranger
    #4209210 - 05/23/05 08:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

First signs of overlay

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4209223 - 05/23/05 09:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Patch/add more casing layer on the myc.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Why is overlaying? [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4209427 - 05/23/05 11:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, you can save an overlayed casing by deep scratching. Take a sterilized fork and scratch into the casing all over it.
This breaks up the mycelia mat, and fruiting can begin.  The most common types of overlay occur from the temps being to high, and CO2 levels too high. Check both.
CO2 by fanning once or twice a day, and put a cheap thermometer in there and see the temps.
The temperature should be in the 70-78 range.
Another factor is at what temp did you germinate the spores. If you incubated them at say 80, and the temp in your chamber is 78, that's only a two degree change, not enough to signal fruiting. An 8 too 10 degree drop is better. So check the temp of your jars, then reduce that by 10 and that's your fruiting temp. Remember also that inside the jars is a few degrees warmer than out side air. :smile: bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlineshineman1941
new
Loc: ariz.
Re: Why is overlaying? [Re: bluhoney]
    #4209440 - 05/23/05 11:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i got the same problem with rye and birdseed cased in 50/50 mix on perlite bed

Offlineclavariadelphus
Stranger
Re: Why is overlaying? [Re: shineman1941]
    #4209690 - 05/23/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The tray today

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#4209720 - 05/23/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Actually you have a good pin set, you probally don't need to do anything right now, just be a little cautious of the water droplets on the casing. If you do not have proper air exchange, those droplets can be breeding grounds for contaminants. :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4209727 - 05/23/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, i dont know why someone hasn't said something by now, But your casing is NOT overlayed. Overgrown sure, but overlayed means a layer of dead mycellial cells has formed a mat on the top surface inhibiting pinning. From what your second picture shows you dont really have a problem at this point.

Ways to keep your casing from becoming overgrown

1. Keep humidity levels around the 70-80% mark after the have pinned. Casings create thier own microclimate and dont have a need for 100% humidity after pinset has taken place.

2. Initiate your pinning elements sooner.

After you harvest this flush you can put a thin layer of casing material on your casing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation