Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trying again
    #4207941 - 05/22/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

HI, I posted this early with no luck. 18 views, no replies. SO heres the original message

Hey whats up everyone, got a few questions here that I need to know.
1) K, hopefully all 20 jars of my brf will work, when they do, I'll need to dunk them, but obviously, they won't all finish the same time, but still, I'll say maybe 6 or 7 at the same, so, lets say that happend, any pointers on how to dunk. Ex, how many. ALso, my fridge space is very v ery limited, is it possible to leave it outside or does that increase risk for Contam.

2) NOw I wanna do the 50/50 tek, is there difference with 50/50 + drastic difference. I just don't wanna screw up or something. As for sterializing the moss. I was told by someone on here thathe just uses a microwave, is that true, does that work fine. If the 50/50 + is the way to go, it says whole oyster shells, do I still crush them when I mix, cause aren't oyster shells kinda large or not.

3) Now as for Peat Moss, Can someone give me a decent Brand name of Moss.

And one more thing now. I am worried may not have a big enough tub when it comes to fruiting, so I may have to get another tub but was wondering if someone could give me some demenssions on the say how many jars they use or should I use to the size of a container.

Hope that all makes sense and someone helps.

Thanks

Nathan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Trying again [Re: littleharoldeh]
    #4207950 - 05/22/05 08:21 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1) Easy way to dunk is just fill your jars with water, cap them in fridge em for 24 hrs

2) Oyster shells help but are not required...they do make a nice pH buffer and add some calcium, but straight hydrated lime does the job for me.

3) Just look for sphagnum peatmoss, that is the best. Any kind I buy is canadian made, and I see you are from Canada so you won't have problems finding it.

Just bake at 170 degrees for 45 minutes or so to pasteurize.

Edited by kronnyQ (05/22/05 08:23 PM)

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4207987 - 05/22/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

1) You can simply take the cakes out of the jars and place them in a larger container full of water, with a piece of plastic on top (garbage bag/ saran wrap) with something heavy on top to keep them submerged. Don't put them outside, they WILL contaminate.

2)Plain 50/50 will work, just not nearly as well as 50/50+. The lime and oyster shell does wonders for buffering the mix and balancing the PH, which is pretty important. You want crushed oyster shell, not whole or powdered. You can microwave casing mix, just be sure it isn't too dry, and nuke it twice for 10 minutes.

3)Generic peat moss is fine, any brand will do, just be sure to get PEAT and not SPHAGNUM moss.

4)As for the tub size, assume you get all 20 jars to colonize. Set up the 20 jars in rows of five, four rows, about an inch or so apart. That's the maximum size you'll need. You also need to consider air exchange, humidity, temperature control, and light.

5)The reason nobody responded is because you obviously didn't bother to RTFM. All of these questions could be easily answered within minutes if you had read the FAQs, or used the search feature. In the future, do that first.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

#4208052 - 05/22/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I have read, but something I ask cause of multiple amounts. Anyways, thanks guys, but I am wonder why one person said use generic moss and not not SPHAGNUM but the other person said to use sphagnum.
So it is alright to put water in the jars then, the holes should be covered with tape or not, does it need air exchange.
As for the baking, how do you mean, like in the oven on a tray or something.

As for my tank, I'll buy what trays I can, then post a pick of the jar in the tray so someone can help me out with how much I need. But if someone can claify these that'd be cool.
Nathan

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Trying again [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4208072 - 05/22/05 08:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Drink_Punk_Soda said:
Don't put them outside, they WILL contaminate.

I thought there were a lot more contams inside than out....especially inside a refrigerator. Why would they contam outside?

--------------------

Offlinelittleharoldeh
Zoom Zoom Zoom
 User Gallery

Re: Trying again [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4208359 - 05/22/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Can anyone clarify those other issues please, I don't wanna repost.
Thanxs

Nathan

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4208844 - 05/23/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure why he said not to use sphagnum peat, I've been told it's the best, probably because the pH of it out of the bag is almost exactly 7.

I use Canadian Sphagnum Peat and it works great.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Trying again [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4208856 - 05/23/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

They will contaminate outside if they were inoculated and incubated inside- they lack whatever beneficial bacteria or whatever it is that protects them outside.

As for the moss, I could be wrong, it's entirely possible.. I seem to recall reading fairly recently Sphagnum moss being referred to as "contam factory." But if it works for you, go for it! Best of luck in whatever works best!

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Trying again [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4214633 - 05/24/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Id like some more proof....a FOAF will often move a casing that is showing signs of cobweb outside and the fresh air takes care of the cobweb, and he has never experienced any additional contams because of this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix